LegacyGT.com

Got my first Legacy!

My 98 Volvo V70XC was hit and totaled a few weeks ago and I just picked this up as a replacement. This is a pic the wholesale auto auction put up of it. Bought it online and it's being delivered on a transporter tomorrow afternoon. Looks like it's going to be a long spring break of detailing and inspecting this car. I don't have immediate plans for mods but after I make sure it's in good shape, I'll look at getting some JDM projectors, HIDs, and put in a better stereo.

-1998 Legacy GT

-117k miles

http://i.imgur.com/Dap1Hw2.jpg

First post, so sorry if I'm breaking any newbie rules! I haven't even lurked here much haha

edit: dangit, just realized this probably belongs in the legacy photos. If you're a mod and see this, feel free to move the thread :/

Don't worry bro. You aren't going to be eaten alive for not following the rules to a T on these forums.

And it's perfectly fine to start a new thread for your new car. Welcome!

First things first, make sure you remove that tape to improve airflow ;)

Don't worry bro. You aren't going to be eaten alive for not following the rules to a T on these forums.

And it's perfectly fine to start a new thread for your new car. Welcome!

First things first, make sure you remove that tape to improve airflow ;)

Haha, thanks! Gotta make sure there's plenty of air to the nonexistant intercooler.

I'm really hoping the tint on it is decent quality. In my experience as a detailer, stripping old window tint out is no fun.

Thanks! So far so good. Looks like the tint is going to have to go. Headgaskets have been done, AWD works and it has new tires. There are a few dings and the cupholder is broken / missing. The mechanics haven't lookit it over yet so there could still be more lurking under the hood. I'm surprised how many washington folks there are on this forum. I'm in Spokane if any inland northwesters have meetups.

So after seeing it and driving it a bit I've got a little better idea of the amount of work it needs. The paint is in pretty rough shape but a good claybar and buffing should fix a lot of it. It needs a little PDR work under the left tail light and the clear coat has come off on part of the hood scoop. It's getting a major service this week and having a few oil leaks fixed.

I've got a few questions and figured I'd use this thread for progress updates and asking for some help along the way.

- Is there a way to tell if it has remote door locks? It only came with one key and no remote but I'd like to change that.

- What size are the door speakers? The stereo is totally shot so I'd like to put in a new one and I've got a pair of 5 1/2" pioneers sitting around.

- Can a double DIN fit in the radio slot if you take out the stock one and that little cubby? or just single DIN?

- the door speakers are 6 1/2" for both front and rear doors.

- the console is capable of a handling a double DIN head unit, but you need to verify the physical dimensions of the unit prior to installation. I had to modify (dremel out the sides) of the surrounding plastic dash piece to install an aftermarket single DIN head unit (the unit did, however, fit nicely in the metal mounting bracket).

the keyless entry system, if installed is located to the right of the brake peddle, its clearly labeled, near the interior fuse box. if installed, i think Subaru can make you keys for that, but if you have it doesnt hurt to ask a dealer how much they would charge

- the door speakers are 6 1/2" for both front and rear doors.

- the console is capable of a handling a double DIN head unit, but you need to verify the physical dimensions of the unit prior to installation. I had to modify (dremel out the sides) of the surrounding plastic dash piece to install an aftermarket single DIN head unit (the unit did, however, fit nicely in the metal mounting bracket).

Awesome, I'll probably stick to single DIN to be safe. Most of the double DINs are gawdy or too expensive for me haha. Also Spokane is the worst for vehicle prowls/break ins so I think a single would be a little less flashy.

I'll look for a decent set of door speakers to replace the stock ones. I lucked out and have the optional tweeters on this car which should be good for sound quality.

the keyless entry system, if installed is located to the right of the brake peddle, its clearly labeled, near the interior fuse box. if installed, i think Subaru can make you keys for that, but if you have it doesnt hurt to ask a dealer how much they would charge

That was a huge help, gergeek! Just peaked down there and looks like I have the module. Now I just have to find some remotes and get them programmed. I've just got one worn down valet key right now and it's awful.

any of the OEM subaru headunits (double and single din) will also plug and play with no issues

and you're more than likely going to need .5" spacers for the speakers

Cool! I'm trying to find something with bluetooth streaming and iPod so I don't think I'll use an OEM headunit. Are the .5" spacers because there isn't much room in the door panel?

Also, do those speaker grilles pop right off for a speaker change or do I need to remove the whole door panel?

the .5" spacers pop the mounting place for the speakers out farther from the door

that allows for the magnets in aftermarket speakers (which are deeper than OEM) to have enough clearance for the window to roll down all the way

you have to remove the door panel completely to access the speakers, its a very easy job

I just put in a single DIN Alpine unit that has BT and iPod functionality (USB on the front as well). I think it was about $160, but you can find a lot of head units with BT/USB/iPod now from a variety of manufacturers ... far more now than a few years ago.

And, yes, you'll need to pry off the door panels. Not too difficult, just take your time and use a trim removal tool.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-DEH-65BT-CD-Receiver-with-Bluetooth-MIXTRAX-Pandora-and-iPod/21806710

Probably going to pull the trigger on this one tomorrow or soon. Bluetooth and fully customizable lighting (I can match OEM! yey!). Just wish it had a rear usb. I like being able to wire an ipod into my glovebox without making it obvious I leave it in the car.

I'm really hoping the tint on it is decent quality. In my experience as a detailer, stripping old window tint out is no fun.
Glad to see another detailer on here. Stripping tint is almost as much fun as removing 8 year old vinyl wrap. :spin:

I'm totally jealous. I want a black GT wagon so bad. All I could find when I was looking to buy a Legacy were sedans and outbacks.

Archived