LegacyGT.com

new owners...

Dear new owners, do more research before buying one of these cars.

A) if you are not mechanicaly inclined, do not buy

B) if you are broke, do not buy

C) if you do not understand basic maintenance/ preventative maintenance, do not buy

D) if you are clearly some sort of special, do not buy

If you inspected the car and then moments later your 3 turbos deep, metal in the pan, Check engine flashing, no start... running rough, then you did not inspect her well enough.

Please if you are thinking of walking the legacy road, do yourself a favor stop, and really think about it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand, we have all these Wiki's, they are right up there, that tell new owners exactly what to do. But, no one wants to believe that their reliable (love, it's what makes Subaru a Subaru) Subaru, isn't at all, and will cost A LOT to fix.

We basically get people in the first stage of grief (denial) and have to talk them all the way through.

New owners aren't going to be rational when they are told they have to spend 100% of the purchase price to get it running at all.

i want to buy a lgt with a blown engine, but only have $300 to fix it and am not mechanically inclined. does anyone have any advice? my cousin says i should do it.

My cousin also told me to slap on a 20g. Said i didnt need the tune. :lol:

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

I wanna lower my car but only have a $60 budget. My brother has a civic and he did it cheaper.

Remove your springs. You car will be slammed. Only in for the cost of spring compressors and hand tools. If you don't want to buy spring compressors cut the old springs off the struts with a hacksaw.

My goal is 400whp. Can this be done on stock injectors? Search and Google are down right now.

400whp is easy, don't need to even buy a new turbo. Properly tuned these cars are capable of 400whp 100% stock. Just when you go to the dyno tell the tuner you want to see 400whp on the graph and ask them to show you 400whp. They can adjust their dyno correction factor to account for how AWESOME your car is and you will be at 400whp.

The worse are the ones who take offense when you call them out on their lack of googling skills. " I literally searched for hours" Meanwhile they only skimmed over the info or only read the first page.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

"I never checked my oil until I get the OCV codes and now my turbo sounds like shaking coins in a tin can and my sump has more metal flakes than oil in it. Can I just put fresh oil in it and then get right back to driving like the gas pedal is an on/off switch?"

The worse are the ones who take offense when you call them out on their lack of googling skills. " I literally searched for hours" Meanwhile they only skimmed over the info or only read the first page.

nobody searches for hours. 10 min and you can find anything you could ever want about anything, really. the "I searched for hours" is the classic n00b lie

I like the idea of the requirement to post in 10 predetermined threads.

I would also chuckle if there was a thread in the member section to post links to all ridiculous new member threads...Lol look at this one!

A lot of the older high end cars that are going for Corolla price levels still have their high end maintenance bills. Not that the Legacy was ever high end, but it has a higher than expected maintenance personality. It's catching the Civic crowd off-guard.

It's the turbo thing. My next car will be a non-turbo. 3.6R maybe. Failed turbos taking out the engine is a hideous design flaw. Really, the turbo outflow should be filtered before it gets back to the sump, or there needs to be some other process by which the turbo bearing material doesn't become an abrasive paste for the rod bearings.

Maybe I should see if I can cram a 3.6 engine in my '74 MGB... hmmm...

This should scare new young owners.

I bought my wagon new for like $28,000. I'm currently well into paying for it the 3rd time.

You need to have a budget for repairs, or a good paying job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'll join in on this as I have an interesting story. The full story can be found if you search "Wristpin failure? Or dealership ripping me off?"

Anyways, I just bought my first legacy and r second one in the family. My dad has a 2015 3.6R and I just picked up an 09 SpecB for an out-the-door price of $20,037. It had 64,000miles on the dot. (This was in October)

I took it to a dealership for a purchase inspection ($110) and got taken for a ride. They said I needed a new short block and a complete rebuild that would cost $7000. Long story short I got out of there fast to get a 2nd opinion at AZP installs. Everything checked out and the only hiccup since then has been a $30 replacement of the power steering belt.

So the total damage for a stock 2009 QSM SpecB with a current total of 65,600 miles is $20,467.

However it could've been $27,500 in a heartbeat.

I'm still not out of the woods with this problem and I'm going to be doing a compression and leakdown test in about 1200 miles

Lol this thread should be sticky haha

Stickied? Why? the noobs you complain about, don't read stickies.

I would also chuckle if there was a thread in the member section to post links to all ridiculous new member threads...Lol look at this one!

There is. Have you found the new member intro section?

you guys do realize that most people come to this forum AFTER purchase, right?

Threads like this turn me off from this site to be perfectly honest. Sorry guys. You have a ton of knowledge posted on this site, but the info is spread out so thin. The old timers dont even realize it. You need to get over yourselves. You were once a noob too. The reality is that it's a generational thing. And it's not just cars. It's every where. Everyone wants everything handed to them these days.

I'm a Subie noob. I made the mistake of buying car with a motor on it's last leg. I am fixing it. I am learning as I go. I take some of the posts in this thread (especially the 1st one) offensively and not welcoming to the community at all.

just my .02

a true car enthusiast would be on this forum or any forum pre- purchase to research the vehicle platform. and if you do stumble upon this forum after purchase and are offended, honestly to bad. I'm not telling you to go away I'm just advising you to be smarter with your wallet. Your more than welcome to blast me, I still sleep well at night.

Archived