LegacyGT.com

Daily post limit?

How about a daily post limit to cut down on the level of filler on the forum?

Tom[/Quote]

I'd like to revisit this idea.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to revisit this idea.

What's your reasoning behind that?

It's the job of the mods to keep the tech sections clean(ish).

But GC is pretty much open season and doesn't go towards your post count.

The posts in GC keep many of us sane during the work day.

:lol:

The age of an idea doesn't diminish its value.

Several forums I use have a policy like this, and they're implemented for several good reasons. Some of those reasons are for the benefit of the individual. Most are to protect the forum.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Death to the forum will happen.

On the contrary, I've seen quite a few forums falter because they were dominated by small cliques. It's normal that 10~15% of members create 90% of the content on a forum and the other 85~90% lurk. When the balance is worse than that it tends to further discourage the lurkers from posting. The domination of discourse, whether by attitude or sheer post volume, further stifles the desire of existing members to join in and discourages visitors from becoming members.

What's your reasoning behind that?

It's the job of the mods to keep the tech sections clean(ish).

But GC is pretty much open season and doesn't go towards your post count.

The posts in GC keep many of us sane during the work day.

It's not the job of the mods to weed out nonsense, disinformation or spurious posting. It's their job to enforce forum rules. Members should be trying to reduce the workload of the mods, not add to it.

General chat, actually the whole off-topic area, is specifically for nonsense, disinformation and spurious posting. If only it were limited to that area... ;)

What does post count have to do with anything? Is anyone really so shallow as to imagine this means anything?

maybe a rational reason/argument in your defense would go toward the credibility of such an idea; but that seems to be somewhat lacking.

Maybe you'd like to tell me why anyone needs to post 10 or 15 things a day? I think people that have that much opinion to offer the world should have a blog.

Remember, it's no one person's responsibility to answer every question or reply in every thread here.

It's not the job of the mods to weed out nonsense, disinformation or spurious posting. It's their job to enforce forum rules. Members should be trying to reduce the workload of the mods, not add to it.

Forum Rule #2: Any unacceptable content (which includes posts and threads) can be edited, closed, or deleted.

So technically, it is a mod's job to weed out those posts.

Maybe mods need to do some work and enforce the rules to reduce their own workload. Enforce the rules and more members might actually contribute something.

Forum Rule #2: Any unacceptable content (which includes posts and threads) can be edited, closed, or deleted.

So technically, it is a mod's job to weed out those posts.

Maybe mods need to do some work and enforce the rules to reduce their own workload. Enforce the rules and more members might actually contribute something.

Fair comment, but I'm a big believer in self-control and not making a mess for the mods to clean up in the first place. I also feel a member can become a turn-off to lurkers or new members not so much for what is posted but more for the sheer volume of posts. Some people just have poor self-control with the 'submit' button and need help. Many forums have post limits so the mods don't have to hand out suspensions to those who don't know when to stop. I don't expect this idea to be popular with those who post regularly. These ideas are usually most popular with the quiet majority.

IDK if this is a good idea.... I mean sometimes the BS is a great thing to read either because its funny, its so stupid that its funny or it just gives people something to smirk at?

A forum that has no 'filler bullshi*' is turning a forum into a technical manual, and thats no fun.

OP, i can see your rationale for the proposal. but i think i agree moreso with what's said below:

IDK if this is a good idea.... I mean sometimes the BS is a great thing to read either because its funny, its so stupid that its funny or it just gives people something to smirk at?

A forum that has no 'filler bullshi*' is turning a forum into a technical manual, and thats no fun.

If it weren't for the bullshit and "filler" I doubt I would even come here. My car isn't that much of a total POS that I need to visit regularly for technical content.

:lol: valid point there

the people who don't drive POS's get bored here I guess

That's a bit of a strawman argument, and not what I had in mind.

Like I said, I didn't expect this idea to be popular with the minority of frequent posters, or even understood.

@fahr_side - I see where you're coming from to a point, but I also agree with Strizzy. From my perspective it seems that the mods do a decent job of managing threads and reducing the amount of filler or nonsense in most subforums. In my opinion implementing a hard post count would take away from the forum. If a post limit were put in place, like Pillboy, I probably wouldn't come around as much. Perhaps the better alternative would be more efforts to keep the technical subforums on topic and encourage all other chatter to take place in the general chat subforum. Just my .02 :)

IRT to post count, I think it's pointless. All it does is show who has squandered more of their time on LGT.com :lol:

:hide:

Maybe you'd like to tell me why anyone needs to post 10 or 15 things a day? I think people that have that much opinion to offer the world should have a blog.

Remember, it's no one person's responsibility to answer every question or reply in every thread here.

so anyone who has 10 to 15 (or more) things to say should automatically be discredited? that seems an inane argument & you, yourself, are on your way to corroborating your own point.

so anyone who has 10 to 15 (or more) things to say should automatically be discredited? that seems an inane argument & you, yourself, are on your way to corroborating your own point.

I didn't say that, but I would like to see people focus more on quality than quantity in the technical forums, and the two seem to be mutually exclusive.

If the idea were inane, why do so many forums have these limits? Why do you feel so threatened by this idea?

why do you suggest that I feel threatened? I seldom partake in the technical forums, as I use this board for entertainment more than anything & in that respect, I feel it's a great success.

& while I'm on several forums, several of them auto related, none have these post limits you refer to.

I have never seen a forum with a daily post limit (but rather the exact opposite: you need a certain number of posts to get to other areas of the forum).

While I agree this place is turning into Nasioc Jr, this is the stupidest idea ever.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Archived