LegacyGT.com

Sti Master Brake cylinder swap Qs

darkside

Makes me laugh. But I think you should upgrade to 1" lines then. Especially if you want to make more than 240whp.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I finished my brembo swap, and I don't feel the squishiness that some talk about. Maybe some of you out there have not fully bled the system properly? I'll be staying with my stock booster and cylinder.

Same here. With Brembo calipers the stock cylinder works fine and no "squishyness" at all.

Same here. With Brembo calipers the stock cylinder works fine and no "squishyness" at all.

If you didnt notice it prior to the Brembo setup you won't notice it afterwards. It is more of a pedal feel. Coming from cars that had great pedal feel and no parachute effect when pressing the brakes is what makes the LGT brake pedal noticeable to me and others. Like I said previously, try driving a WRX, Scion xb, Toyota Corolla, VW Jetta, etc...the pedal feel is much better than what we have in the Legacy.

• 3 weeks later...
Are you going to run twin Stealths? I'm curious how much noise they make. I was going to do a single stealth in-tank and ID1000's if I decide to follow through on fuel mods.

I am running twin Aeromotive Stealths and they are not as loud as one Walbro:)

Just ordered a 2005 STI master cylinder and brake booster for $62 on ebay. Any tips on the installation we should be aware of, such as adjustment of pedal travel or what needs to be removed for access? Thanks in advance.

Thank god, Gonna pick up a booster and mc this week. I vote Integroid a Subaru Hero of the year. Maybe even a Noble peace prize. LOL. Well thanks integroid for having the guts to swap and check. Lets us if any modification to fits or is it a direct bolt on swap. thanks again.

Just ordered a 2005 STI master cylinder and brake booster for $62 on ebay. Any tips on the installation we should be aware of, such as adjustment of pedal travel or what needs to be removed for access? Thanks in advance.

My motor was out so it was easy to install for me:)

!!!!!!!!!!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found out the hard way today that the check valve must be built in on the Legacy booster and it is not on the STi. Just go to Napa and purchase a check valve that will fit the hose going to the booster and you should be fine. I havent purchased the check valves yet but will be doing so tomorrow. I was doing a 3rd gear pull at 25psi when I found out about the check valve:)

If you didnt notice it prior to the Brembo setup you won't notice it afterwards. It is more of a pedal feel. Coming from cars that had great pedal feel and no parachute effect when pressing the brakes is what makes the LGT brake pedal noticeable to me and others. Like I said previously, try driving a WRX, Scion xb, Toyota Corolla, VW Jetta, etc...the pedal feel is much better than what we have in the Legacy.

It's odd that I find this thread. I too thought that the brakes are way to soft for such a sporty car as the LGT. I came from a 05 Corolla that Integriod mentions and yes the brakes were good on it. Even the wifes Accord felt like it had better brakes.

Does anyone know for sure if this will work on a 08? At less than $70 it well worth money (cheaper than pad/rotor upgrade).

Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up.

So you had no power assist?!

Did you buy your mc/booster new? Seems odd they wouldn't build it the same way for for all models- different sizes, sure, but w/o check valve?

I got it used but they are different parts completely. One being from a 2002+ Imprezza to one for a newer generation Legacy.

Actually running boost into the booster will give you the opposite effect of having the power booster. It actually presses the pedal all the way out and you cannot press it down until it goes back into vacuum.

It's odd that I find this thread. I too thought that the brakes are way to soft for such a sporty car as the LGT. I came from a 05 Corolla that Integriod mentions and yes the brakes were good on it. Even the wifes Accord felt like it had better brakes.

Does anyone know for sure if this will work on a 08? At less than $70 it well worth money (cheaper than pad/rotor upgrade).

I dont see why it wouldn't. The firewall is the same on all 05-09 Legacys.

Ok, so Napa does not carry anything that will work. Or at least the guy was not willing to look up part numbers to find one that might work. I ordered the STi brak booster hose from the dealer and it has the check valve in it. Retail on the hose is $18. Will report back tomorrow when I have it in my hands.

Ok, so Napa does not carry anything that will work. Or at least the guy was not willing to look up part numbers to find one that might work. I ordered the STi brak booster hose from the dealer and it has the check valve in it. Retail on the hose is $18. Will report back tomorrow when I have it in my hands.

Kinda thought it was strange for NAPA (which does sometimes carry more then say Advance Auto or Zone). If they have anything it would have probably been from the HELP! (the bright red packages) or Dorman catalog. I know the store I worked out only could get a small handful check valves. $18 sounds reasonable for a dealer price.

I ended up just cutting the check valve out of the STi/WRX hose and inserting it into the Legacy booster hose. Took about 5 minutes to do with a little bit of lube to force it in the hose. Make sure you use something that is about the same size as the check valve to push it through the hose so you dont damage it. Did a 28 psi pull in 3rd and it stopped like a dream. Ahhhhh...so nice to have reliable brakes without a mushy pedal:)

pics of what? I didn't take any pics because it is a pretty straight forward process. Just make sure you put the check valve in the correct direction into the hose. Just keep pinching the STi hose until you find the check valve.

I ended up just cutting the check valve out of the STi/WRX hose and inserting it into the Legacy booster hose. Took about 5 minutes to do with a little bit of lube to force it in the hose. Make sure you use something that is about the same size as the check valve to push it through the hose so you dont damage it. Did a 28 psi pull in 3rd and it stopped like a dream. Ahhhhh...so nice to have reliable brakes without a mushy pedal:)

You car is insane, 580WHP!!! Is it your daily driver? If so what kind of mileage you get (considering if you can keep your foot out of it). I need to look up your mods, I bet you are not even on a stock block are you?

I need to start planning and saving what I want to do with my 08 LGT but fear the 5EAT will not last. I would be happy getting to 320-350HP until I got there and said nope still not enough....;) LOL :lol:.