LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket catted pipes and emission tests

coblue

I wanted to go with a catted downpipe on my fourth gen for emissions reasons. One of the local Subie performance shops said don't bother, they don't pass after about three years. I'd like to hear of your experience, and what brand it was.

Aftermarket cats won't pass CO emissions. Not the first time, let alone 3 years later.

You want a GESi cat fabbed onto your downpipe if you want a no hassles exhaust. Aftermarket cat that comes on DP (COBB for instance) costs about $75. A GESi cat costs about $430, but it actually has the precious metals in it to be a real cat and pass emissions. A GESi cat on your car makes it 100% EPA and Street legal and there is little to no loss in HP.

Contact 5250 Performance in Longmont.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

My cousin has a wrx that passed in CO the first 2-3 years with high flow catted DP, this year it failed and he swapped back to the stock DP for the test. For a 15-20 ISH HP gain id do it. Just keep the stock DP so that you can go back to it in a few years when the cat fails. For a hour or two of wrench time that really isnt terrible to swap, or pay $80 to have done at a shop.

Archived