LegacyGT.com

Which year to look at?

TylerSVT

So im looking at selling my old car (1996 Mustang Cobra) and getting into a LGT. But which year should i be looking at? I would probably have to stay within a 05-08 year range. I would like a spec B but i think its out of my price range (are they worth the extra price?)

Which year is the best in that range and why?

08/09 is the best year to buy option wise.

Yes, spec B is worth the extra price. Aluminum control arms, suspension, tranny is all worth the extra $.

07-09 are really the same mechanically so there is no real reason to rule out the 07 unless you want the looks of the 08-09, or want lower miles.

As for the spec. B being worth it that is totally subjective. For me it was absolutely worth the extra effort and money but you have to ask yourself is the minor differences worth it. I for one am a fan of the stock spec. B suspension because it is a good trade off between daily comfort and sporty handling. If you plan to do suspension work anyway then the only thing you get with the 07-09 spec. B is 6spd rear differential and aluminum control arms.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Is there anywhere with a list of changes between the years? Wikipedia doesnt really answer everything.

I am just trying to figure out which sort of price range i am going to be looking at here, locally some Spec B's are 20+ grand whereas there are a few 05GT's that are around the 13-15 grand mark.

Thanks for all the help guys!

the main reason performance wise to get a 07+ Spec B is for the 6 spd. it's stronger than the 5 spd, so if you're planning on putting on a big turbo or drag racing a lot, it's the way to go

The 6spd is also part of the reason the spec. B is the heaviest LGT.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Factory nav is horrible lol....however the unit has other cool functions. I like the three gauge thing with average mpg, current mpg, throttle position. Also has maintainice reminders, and other little nifty things.

Anyone on here ever imported one? I live in CAN and i know cars are usually a bit more expensive this side of the border. Wouldnt mind picking one up down south for a few less $$.

Are the Speedo's easy to swap for example?

07-09 are really the same mechanically so there is no real reason to rule out the 07 unless you want the looks of the 08-09, or want lower miles.

As for the spec. B being worth it that is totally subjective. For me it was absolutely worth the extra effort and money but you have to ask yourself is the minor differences worth it. I for one am a fan of the stock spec. B suspension because it is a good trade off between daily comfort and sporty handling. If you plan to do suspension work anyway then the only thing you get with the 07-09 spec. B is 6spd rear differential and aluminum control arms.

You are correct. I should of mentioned that. Only difference is bumpers from 07 and 08/09.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Nav center programmable? Does it have functions that can be added?

I'm sort of in the same boat. I could care less if something is rare or limited or anything else that makes it exclusive. I'm into function. I really like the 6spd manual of the spec.b years, but I'm not sure that's worth much more or if I'd even notice it.

I'm still a noob with legacies. How does the spec.b rear diff affect the car? Is it noticeable? Do the aluminum suspension parts make much or any difference other than being shinier when it's on a lift?

The way im sort of looking at it, to get a normal legacy up to a Spec B "status" its probably going to cost you around the same price differences in market value for the cars. Plus one way you dont have to do any work yourself which is nice.

On the other hand, can you afford the extra 4 grand now that a Spec B costs?

The Spec B isn't really any faster than a stock LGT. It's a little more sporty, a bit more nicely trimmed, and a bit more comfortable. It's also the heaviest of the BL Legacies. Most of it's handling prowess can be attributed to the tires. The Bilsteins are still pretty soft for a sport sedan. Best thing about the 07 - 09 Spec B is the trans, and that's the real reason to buy one. Especially if you plan on doing a big turbo. The aluminum control arms are there to save weight. They bolt right up to the normal GT.

So unless you really want the 6spd, I'd stick to the normal GT and have more money for other mods.

Archived