LegacyGT.com

Goodyear F1 AS review

legacy_y_tu

Well, I finally picked up some new wheels after 60K on the stock re92's. It took me a good long time of reading to finally settle on the F1's AS. Primary concerns to me were:1 performance 2, price 3, noise. I was initially going to go for the Re960's as these are getting good reviews all around but the $155 price was a bit of a turn off. Next I looked at the Pirelli P zero nero. This seemed to be a great performing tire except when it gets wet, although it is a good value at $136. So finally I looked at the F1's. Great performance all around, especially in the wet. They also have a great price at $130.

Jump forward to install day: Tires mounted and balanced whereupon I promptly take a bolt through one of 'em just as I had broken them in. Order another one, and keep the old as a replacement.

Impressions: (Keep in mind I'm coming from RE 92's. I don't have any first hand experience with any of the other tires I mentioned above)

Turn in: Oh my god these are so much more responsive. The tire doesn't roll over at all that I can tell and it doesn't feel a like a rock riding down the road due to a stiff sidewall.

Wet traction: Damn, I really realize now how bad the RE92 's were in the rain. These things feel literally like there's no water on the road. I still have yet to push these through a corner in the rain to see how they break from the road. The RE92's released gradually when they broke traction whick was nice. I hear these are a bit more sudden, we'll see. The traffic around here has been a bit of a btich so I haven't been able to test this yet.

Edit: Finally pushed these to the point of losing traction in the rain. I'm happy to say they release gradually when traction is lost, they do however seem to catch back quickly which I found tends to tuck your line back in..... Not bad at all.

Dry: Um...dont know what to say except yeah they stick like a mo-fo with very little if any tire squeel.

Snow: No experience yet, although I am a bit concerned about this. The tread blocks are much larger than they appear in the pictures. Picture BF Goodrich KDW size.

Noise: They are a bit louder than the RE92's but only slightly so. I keep my tires inflated to 38 fr 36 rr. Nothing I'd really complain about though.

Appearance: Like I said; the pictures don't accurately represent them. The blocks are big. I actually like the appearance. They have a very aggressive look to them. Rim protector is also a good size, about the same as a RE92. Although I do find that it's pushed right up against the rim where as the RE92 stand off the rim about 1/4".

Odd's and Ends: No flatspotting that I can tell yet and I haven't experienced any tramlining on concrete or tarred roads.

Anyway, that's about it. Overall I'm very happy with them and at this point would highly recommend them. As I said above, the jury's still out regarding snow. They do appear to be a little blocky for good snow handling. I will report back when I have some actual first hand experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I updated the first post. But basically found that the tires release gradually in the rain when they lose traction. Not quite what the reviews found....<shrug> They also seem to catch traction again pretty quickly after a little speed has scrubbed off (not much) which I found to tighten my line up pretty quickly. Not anything dangerous or unsettling. I am really impressed with the wet handling on these. Really, I can hammer my favorite 270 offramp sweeper at about 75-80% of speed that I usually take when it's dry. Also it's definitely much harder to spin the tires in the wet when jumping on it from a stop. I can do it....but not like the 92's which used to light up like they were on ice, not water.

Also, I take back my statement about them not squeeling <sp> :lol:. They do squeel when pushed hard in the dry.....nothing like RE92's though. Still no flatspotting, and it's been in the 30's here at night so I think it's safe at this point to say these won't flatspot.

Edit: It's been in the 20's lately and the tires are flatspotting. They smooth out though much quicker than the RE92's.

Really loving the tires. I will try to get some pictures of the tread blocks and rim protector in the next couple of days. Gotta new camera to play with and this will be a good opportunity to play with it's features.

Once you wear off a little tread depth, they may quiet down.

This could turn into a really popular tire for Outbacks, especially in places that don't get a lot of snow.

Did you read the "tire for all seasons" review in C&D? Interesting comparison of the differences.

Nope, but I just read it now. You do realize I'm talking about the all season F1 tire not their summer F1 tire...right? I knew much of that about what makes a tire good/bad in the snow, hence my concern once I saw these about the snow traction. ANyway, only time will tell. Bring on the snow!!!..........I think

I got those goodyear F1 AS about a month or so ago. I love them. A very well rounded. Havent really tested them in the snow, but everything about them is great. Plus i dont really get any side wall roll like i did on the stockers, cuz it has the reinforced carbonfiber side walls. Highly recommend them to anyone who in the need for a excellent AS tire

________

Political Risk Insurance Dicussion

BTW, what pressures are you guys running f/r? I went with the stock size of 215 instead of the 225 only because the 215 has an XL load capacity. This should give stiffer sidewalls.

Same here as far as size goes. As for psi; I'm running 38F and 36R. I want to experiment a bit though to see if I can get a bit more oversteer (already have the JDM RSB).

how were they in the ice the other day?

Ice....what ice? No seriously I didn't encounter any that I know of. I did try to do some drift action on sharp left from a red light on wet roads and......couldn't . These tires stick too damn good :icon_frow:lol:

I didn't notice any flatspotting till it started hitting the 20's . It's nothing really. It's gone before I'm 5 blocks down the street.

I'm running 37f/35r. No flatspotting yet in the 20's this morning. The PZero's would've been lumpy for a few miles.

These sound like some good tires

i'm running GoodYear Eagle F1 High Performance and love them but i want an AS tire that won't sacrifice the performance...even though Southern Ky (Ft. Campbell area) doesn't get a lot of snow i want to be ready

Well, these so far are a good tire in the dry and wet. Jury's still out on the snow.....and really the wet handling is as good as the reviews state. Phenomenal :eek::spin:

Edit: I just got home from work and it's been lightly snowing. There's a little better than a dusting on the streets, maybe 1/4". So far they seem better than the RE92's, I know not saying much. Seriously though I tried some hard turns in the neighborhood on snow covered/dusted roads and they definitely gripped better than the RE92's. I still am not gonna say they are a great tire in the snow based on this little snowfall, but so far it looks encouraging.

only problem with getting AS tires in snowy regions is the fact that since they are tires to be used year-round, they must be zr speed rating. This means that they are a very stiff rubber compound. When the temps get low, the rubber gets so stiff that it plasticises, and no matter what tire you are running, they are going to get poor traction in icy surfaces. Best bet if you live in regions that get any significant snow is to have a winter snow set, and whatever else you want to run the rest of the year.

Archived