LegacyGT.com

LCA's can't get 'em off!!

bobo69

i have the bushings and a shop to press them in but i cant get the ball joint out of the knuckle(dont have the tools to spread it) or the bolt on the bottom without using a pickle fork and tearing the boot. what have you guys done?

pitman puller or air hammer

saw whitetiger use both

and btw, it was nice meeting you that day at autozone!

HA, same here! let me tell you i was out there with an air hammer for about 20 min it didn't even budge! i am going to have to ask him what kind of puller he used if there was a specific size or model.

See Whitetiger's comments at this thread...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1239170#post1239170

Sorry for the inline link...:redface:

Pete

i can get the pinch bolt out of the spindle but the big round top part or the ball joint doesn't come out. don't you need to pry the spindle apart to get the top part out?

^yes, either that, or take the crown nut and cotter pi out and pop the ball joint out of the arm rather than out of the knuckle. once the crown nut is off, a big hammer is all you need to seperate that connection. this way is much easier if you cant get the ball joint out of the knuckle. the knuckle likes to rust and seizes the joint in to it, so i find that its much better to pop the join out of the lca instead.

Guest Gitster

We need a walkthrough and /or More pics.

Im lookin at you Bobo if youre in the middle of it ?

I took the pinch bolt out then put a good amount of LiquidWrench into the slot the bolt squeezes shut. Waited about 15 minutes then put a block of wood against the LCA and hit it 4-5 good shots with a 1 pound hammer (OK, maybe 10-12). It was stiff, but came out. I gooped it up good with NeverSeize when I put it back together for the next time it needs to be taken apart.

Archived