LegacyGT.com

Daniel Stern Lighting and Subaru headlight options

f1anatic

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long ass thread, but anyone had issues with the Rallye+ lights he recommended?

I stuck them in perfectly good headlights and after a few months, I had a discoloration (which I believe to be melted plastic) right at the focus point of the light.

Never again. (This was a few years ago)

Maybe it is just an isolated incident but buyer beware.

I stuck them in perfectly good headlights and after a few months, I had a discoloration (which I believe to be melted plastic) right at the focus point of the light.

I haven't noticed any discoloration on my headlights.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

You will get discoloration/melting of the plastic if you overheat the lights by covering them with something. Happened to me when I covered one and tried to aim the other. I ruined my headlight. I suppose it's also possible if the ambient temperature is extremely hot.

I've been using the Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special-Service Bulbs since September 2009 without noticing any ill effects. I need to looking into buying a new set for my wife's Hyundai Sonata.

I don't think so. My DRL/highs are 9006s. If they are single filament as you say then I suppose the voltage is changed for output?

Yes it is. When in DRL mode, they run at low voltage. When you turn your low beams on, they should turn off. Our Mini uses H7 in both low and high beams and does this same trick for the drl and for this reason I did not want to put Rallyes in high-beams; I don't want to have them turned on all the time, even at low voltage.

nm+, I'm a decent amount into my 2nd set of Rallyes and my headlights are just fine. In fact they look brand new and the car is 6 years old.

You will get discoloration/melting of the plastic if you overheat the lights by covering them with something. Happened to me when I covered one and tried to aim the other. I ruined my headlight. I suppose it's also possible if the ambient temperature is extremely hot.

They weren't covered, except maybe by a bit of snow.

This happened when I lived in Minneapolis deep into winter. Whatever the cause, it ******* sucks.

• 1 month later...

My silverstar's just burned out after 9 months and over 13,000 miles. They weren't bad, just not great. At first they were blue-ish, then they were "normal" for a while, then the last few days before they burned out they had lost a significant amount of lighting ability and had turned a yellow-ish color.

After reading about replacements, I'll be getting some Osram Rallye 65W bulbs. Those seem like the best low-beam halogen bulb on the market.

• 4 weeks later...

i just went ahead and purchased the osram h7 65w. Surprisingly, I found them on Ebay which never came up for me before. Came to $32 for the pair and free shipping. About $10 cheaper than Daniel Stern. If anyone's interested there is 6 bulbs left as my posting this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osram-Rally-OFF-ROAD-H7-65W-Low-High-beam-halogen-bulb-1pc-/250949271132?hash=item3a6dbdfe5c&item=250949271132&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_838wt_1270

How much improvement is there with the replacing the fog light? I drive at nite alot and was considering doing the high beam too as ive seen in this thread that the high beams are much better than stock. I have HIDs for the lows so I wouldnt need those. Just unsure if I should do the fogs as well.

HID kit on the lows? Might wanna read what Stern has on the website ;)

I think he also highlights why fog lights are not designed nor are they suitable for driving lights so you should use them as they were intended: for inclement weather driving where the road immediately ahead is difficult to see, namely the road markings. Therefore, go with a set of nice yellow bulbs.

HID kit on the lows? Might wanna read what Stern has on the website ;)

I think he also highlights why fog lights are not designed nor are they suitable for driving lights so you should use them as they were intended: for inclement weather driving where the road immediately ahead is difficult to see, namely the road markings. Therefore, go with a set of nice yellow bulbs.

Not sure if i typed it right or understand what your saying. I have HIDs for the low beam and was wondering if the yellow bulbs on that site are a big improvement or if I should just go with the high beams from his site. Sorry if I was unclear.

It depends what you want, both would be a good improvement. I was pointing out the fact that HID kits don't work properly in a halogen projector and this is definitely NOT a debate I am looking to start in this thread. It is information worth looking over at Stern's site.

The glare from the HID kit will most likely drown out the benefit of having yellow fog light bulbs so I'd probably go with HIR high beam bulbs, especially since the HID kit is not throwing as much light up and far ahead as a proper light source for your projectors (halogen bubs).

Edited by fishbone

It depends what you want, both would be a good improvement. I was pointing out the fact that HID kits don't work properly in a halogen projector and this is definitely NOT a debate I am looking to start in this thread. It is information worth looking over at Stern's site.

The glare from the HID kit will most likely drown out the benefit of having yellow fog light bulbs so I'd probably go with HIR high beam bulbs, especially since the HID kit is not throwing as much light up and far ahead as a proper light source for your projectors (halogen bubs).

Im not trying to start a debate I just wasnt sure you understood what I was saying. Definitely not disagreeing with you just stating what I have. I feel that they were an improvement over stock so im happy. I will definitely take a look at his website and do some reading sometime. Ill probably end up getting the new high beam bulbs then.

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
since I'm ditching my HIDS I think I'm going with this option for lights. sounds like everyone is happy with them
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone else ordered HIR bulbs recently? The ones I bought for my mom's car back in Jan had a bulb shape, similar to what you see on the prototype. The ones I bought in Dec are flat like a normal headlight bulb. Did they change the design?
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.