LegacyGT.com

Good deal on an 07 Spec B(?), negotiation tactics

Geen Yee

Hey everyone, I planned on getting an 05 GT long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Long story short, I never did, but now I'm looking at an 07 Spec B.

An email blitz of my local dealers has so far resulted in a best offer of $32,550, only options are wheel locks and popular equipment package (auto-dimming mirror, shock sensor). That's roughly $160 over invoice. Is this the best I'm gonna get?

Also, what are the next steps in this dance? I know I should be pitting the dealers against each other, but being that this is the end of the month and I'm not looking to buy for another month or so, will they rescind these offers when September rolls around? Furthermore, are these email price quotes as solid as a quote in (physical) writing? All dealerships that have replied mentioned that they will have to order one for me (I think there's only one 07 in the area and it's got a spoiler and XM, which I don't need), does this nullify any leverage I could have?

Thanks in advance!

GY

That's as good as you're going to get for a while. I ordered mine back in July (picked it up this past Saturday) and got a decent price from the dealer but not that low. All the other dealers I spoke to in the area said "full sticker" when pressed about pricing on the ones they have coming in.

I've got another question because ordering a car is a new concept to me: it should be a good idea to secure financing before the even talking turkey, but do I need to get all the trade-in and financing stuff squared away before ordering, or will the $x deposit be enough? Bear in mind I'll probably go through the Costco/Capital One route for financing and their "checks" are good for 45 days (?), where it'll probably be two months for an ordered vehicle to get out to WA.

The deposit should be enough. Now that they've actually started producing the SpecB's your dealer should be able to give you plenty of notice as to when the car will actually hit the dealership. You should be able to handle all of that other stuff closer to when the car comes in.

That's as good as you're going to get for a while. I ordered mine back in July (picked it up this past Saturday) and got a decent price from the dealer but not that low. All the other dealers I spoke to in the area said "full sticker" when pressed about pricing on the ones they have coming in.

How long did it take for yours to arrive from time of order? I ordered mine 4 weeks ago tomorrow and so far the dealer hasn't told me when to expect it. With all these new pictures I'm really getting anxious!

Thanks.

I ordered it early in July and it came in 2 weeks ago today - so roughly 6 weeks from the time it was ordered. It was not due in until after Labor Day, but came in early with no notice, which left me scrambling to sell my old car.

I've got another question because ordering a car is a new concept to me: it should be a good idea to secure financing before the even talking turkey, but do I need to get all the trade-in and financing stuff squared away before ordering, or will the $x deposit be enough? Bear in mind I'll probably go through the Costco/Capital One route for financing and their "checks" are good for 45 days (?), where it'll probably be two months for an ordered vehicle to get out to WA.

Did someone say WA? Yeah WA!!! :D Welcome!

If it takes 6-8 weeks (aka 8-10) then I think you would want to wait as that check and your pre-approval would expire and then you've got to do it all over again. If you're trading in, settle on the car price first (which it sounds like you've got the general idea of so far) and then discuss trade-in. It's a bit tricky since this is all dependant on the car showing up within a certain time. I would set the price, deposit a small $100-200 cash down to secure the car if needed, talk about trade-in once that's set, and then wait till a closer time to get financing. Are you sure you can get the finance rate you want? Make sure it will work with your budget ahead of time. Just be sure you have that set in stone so you're not running around at the last minute. :)

Where are you at in WA? Westside, Eastside? Have you tried Joe Spitz at Carter? I've worked with him several times and gotten friends their cars through him also. Pretty decent internet guy to work with. :) Hit me up if you would like any help at all.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Since they just came out and have to be ordered as opposed to right off the lot, 160 over invoice isnt bad. Check with other guys on here who have already got theirs.

Ya think maybe because the 06's were an utter friggin disaster? Maybe if they wised up they will build them as needed.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I don't know where you located, but around my area, there are only 2 spec B around. I got quoted from one dealership and the Internet special price is $620 under MSRP. The offer you got sounded pretty amazing. Good luck~~

I took the plunge, going back and forth I found out I was splitting hairs at 32,5. Joe Spitz and Carter hooked it up lovely. Now the wait begins!

(This is the poster formerly known as Geen Yee ;) )

Soooooo... you never responded on the other thread! :) Glad you found Joe though. He does it right, straight and forward. :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I ordered my 07 Spec B, 2 weeks ago, they're telling me it won't be here until sometime in Oct :( - I think I have a great deal though pretty much at invoice. I have the following options L6H, D7I,LWI,MSV, and P5E. The price I got was $32,881 - can't wait!

I ordered my 07 Spec B, 2 weeks ago, they're telling me it won't be here until sometime in Oct :( - I think I have a great deal though pretty much at invoice. I have the following options L6H, D7I,LWI,MSV, and P5E. The price I got was $32,881 - can't wait!

Do you mind telling us which dealer you ordered the Spec B from? I am thinking about getting one and is definitely interested to know where I can get the best deal. (I live in the east bay)

Steven's Creek. Their intial offer was 34,300, I then went to Carlsen in Redwood City who actually have one on their lot. They wanted 34,499 and it has pretty much the same options except for the moonroof deflector and hood protector. Since I could have picked it immediately it was very tempting. Going back to Stevens Creek, with them about to lose the deal, they agreed to the invoice price! I have to wait until October, but hey for that deal I'm willing to wait.

Steven's Creek. Their intial offer was 34,300, I then went to Carlsen in Redwood City who actually have one on their lot. They wanted 34,499 and it has pretty much the same options except for the moonroof deflector and hood protector. Since I could have picked it immediately it was very tempting. Going back to Stevens Creek, with them about to lose the deal, they agreed to the invoice price! I have to wait until October, but hey for that deal I'm willing to wait.

Woah, you are one brave man. Just to make sure, you do know Stevens Creek's rep among the bay area Subaru community, don't you?

The one at Carlsen's really tempting to me also because it doesn't have a spoiler. Guess they are not willing to deal yet.

In anycase, good luck with the order. :)

Yea, I've seen the negative posts regarding Steven's Creek - keepin' my fingers crossed that they'll actually honer the deal. I'll certainly post and let everyone know how this goes. Good luck if you decide to pursue the one at Carlsen, as you say it does not have a spoiler.

• 2 weeks later...
Good luck on getting your Spec.s boys. It's a hell of a ride. Wait 'til you feel it on the freeway. It is a real grown up for real car. This from a former Infiniti owner.

What Infiniti did you have? I was comparing the legacy GT and the Infiniti g35.

What Infiniti did you have? I was comparing the legacy GT and the Infiniti g35.

I had the venerable J30t. It was a $40k+ car in the mid 90s when it was produced so the level of luxury was a notch above the LGT. It handled very well but performance wise it can't touch an LGT. The Bilsteins, etc. make the lighter Spec. even smoother than the heavy J. I test drove a number of Infinitis from the G to 03-04 Ms and the new M (really nice) and liked them all but the Spec. was by far the best bang for the buck.

BTW, when I go car shopping I search for the overlooked and/or underappreciated models (that have been lightly used). The Spec. fell into this category (6k miles on it) and as a result I got a hella deal on the car which was sitting in on a lot in a blue collar Chicago 'burb where Chevy pick-ups are what everyone thinks is the ultimate ride and Hondas for the kiddies.

Archived