LegacyGT.com

97 legacy AT problems. Driving me insane

Leavinglegacys

I just got a new project a 97 legacy wagon with 177k original miles. Its automatic When i read the tranny level with the car turned off the dipstick reads its full when i start the engine and let it warm up. The dipstick reads really low When i drive it the tranny sometimes pops out of gear and then starts to rev high and i have to slow down for it to grab gears again theres also a slight lag in between shifts Its really getting me upset cause my other subaru is nothing but good to me Has anyone had this problem?

How many quarts to fill ?

I really dont want to buy a new tranny for it. Is my tranny still good? Can it be saved? How do i know if the valve body is messed up? Im taking it to suby specalites tomorrow morning and im scared to drive it there because its 40miles away from me and i havent drove it on the freeway since i got it last month Someone please help me. I want it ready for subie fest By the way theres is a slight tranny leak from the pan

• 2 weeks later...
The owner's manual describes how to check it. Try checking it hot, after driving. Come to a stop, engage the emergency brake, put the trans in park, pop hood, move the trans selector stalk from park, to reverse, to neutral, to drive, and then back up again into park. All slowly. Now get out and check the fluid level on the dipstick. All on level ground.

Archived