LegacyGT.com

CBE comparison?

I searched high and low without any luck for a sound comparison on CBEs for 4th gen LGT. A few of old geezers on here want more sound but not a lot more sound. Right now, I have full 3' catless Megan dp to Perrin mid/CBE. IMO, it is LOUD! My neighbors complain.

My question is does anyone have an estimated quiet to loud comparison for common CBEs for us old guys looking for more sound and not all the sound?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/exhaust-audio-video-clip-compilation-thread-102170.html

You really searched high and low? This is literally the first sticky thread in the exhaust section.

Yes, I did see that Sticky link while I searched and decided it doesn't help whatsoever. Most of these are recorded on cell phones and from types of phones and perspectives. Sound quality is poor on many and laptop speakers certainly don't help.

I am looking for a written comparison from people who have tried more than one exhaust. Something like, "I have 3" catless Perrin which is MUCH louder than stock, but xxxx exhaust was somewhere in between"

Perrin mid/y with Prodrive mufflers, if you can find them. And equal length headers.

Strizzy, That sounds nice. I have EL headers on my car already and just want something mid way between stock sound and my ridiculous set-up.

Keep the Perrin mid/y and try to find a set of Prodrive mufflers.

The Prodrive mufflers with Perrin mid/y are probably the most tame sounding exhaust you can get, other than Stromung. If you can't find Prodrives, you can always get some 2.5" flanges and have an exhaust shop make a set of mufflers with a straight-through fiberglass packed muffler, such as from Magnaflow, and put any tip you would like at the end.

I am also catless in that video and have an external wastegate, which you can hear when I get into boost.

Oldish guy, here. I did just about all the reading and comparisons one can do online and ended up with a Borla cat-back. Very satisfied. Grumbly and rumbly with no rasp, moderate volume increase without drawing attention unless you mean to. Tips are oversized but not to a grapefruit-holding amount.

It's only 2.5" inch, but I don't think that's a restriction until you're well into stage 3. (I'm a mild stage 3, ~280 HP at the wheels.)

Oldish guy, here. I did just about all the reading and comparisons one can do online and ended up with a Borla cat-back. Very satisfied. Grumbly and rumbly with no rasp, moderate volume increase without drawing attention unless you mean to. Tips are oversized but not to a grapefruit-holding amount.

It's only 2.5" inch, but I don't think that's a restriction until you're well into stage 3. (I'm a mild stage 3, ~280 HP at the wheels.)

Thanks, Rockford. Is the Borla set-uo a direct bolt-on or do they have proprietary set-up?

Keep the Perrin mid/y and try to find a set of Prodrive mufflers.

The Prodrive mufflers with Perrin mid/y are probably the most tame sounding exhaust you can get, other than Stromung. If you can't find Prodrives, you can always get some 2.5" flanges and have an exhaust shop make a set of mufflers with a straight-through fiberglass packed muffler, such as from Magnaflow, and put any tip you would like at the end.

I am also catless in that video and have an external wastegate, which you can hear when I get into boost.

I was under the impression that Stromung won't bolt directly to stock/Perrin set-up. Am I wrong about that?

Stromung/Cobb bolts directly to stock DP if you have the donut gasket. I might be willing to part with my Cobb CB for the right price complete with suspension bolts and donut gasket/flange...

• I Donated Too

I also run the Borla, it's very good, quiet and well made... 333WHP now with no issues from restrictive flow. It's fine for mew and shouldn't be a concern when I add Meth either, I'd be very disappointed if it does...

channoff... direct bolt on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure chanoff was asking if just the Stromung cans will bolt up to the stock (or perrin) y pipe flange. Which they will not.

And yes, people have added a 3rd muffler in the mid pipe to quiet down magnaflows exhaust.

I've never heard of a third muffler. A resonator yes, but a third muffler no.

Can you explain?

I don't know why people keep calling them third mufflers. The "muffler" that is being added to poorly designed catbacks or that is located on the mid pipe is known as a resonator. It's function is the same as the one on the factory exhaust. It changes the tone of the exhaust note, removes the raspyness, and stops the horrible popping sound that you hear when you let off the gas (think honda with fart can exhaust). Good quality catback exhausts will have a resonator built into the exhaust. While you can use a third muffler if you like, resonators are designed slightly different then normal mufflers and are usually cheaper.

I don't know why people keep calling them third mufflers. The "muffler" that is being added to poorly designed catbacks or that is located on the mid pipe is known as a resonator.

People are calling it a muffler because that's what it is. Here is a common muffler that people add to the mid pipe.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=10667

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

i have a cnt catless dp but with a hiflow cat welded. Do you guys think it will sound good if i get the FMS exhaust? i dont want anything too loud, in fact i already like how it sounds for the most part, id like a little more sound during accel and big sexy pipes

Archived