LegacyGT.com

Academic research study- help requested!

Hello everyone,

I'm doing a study for my Ph.D on opinions about automobile purchases. I would really appreciate your help with a very short questionnaire related to your purchase of a Subaru. (For more information on this study, who I am, and how to reach me, please see information at the end of this post). If you would like to participate, please post your response to the following six questions:

1- Do you currently own a Subaru?

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru)

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile?

4- How many Subaru’s have you personally owned?

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.)

6- Please indicate your current level of agreement with each of the following three statements by adding a numerical rating (i.e. 1=strongly disagree… 7= strongly agree – please refer to the scale that follows):

Statements:

A. I think that Subaru was the right choice.

B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru.

C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations.

Scale

1= Strongly disagree

2= Disagree

3= Somewhat disagree

4= Neither disagree nor agree

5= Somewhat agree

6= Agree

7= Strongly agree

I welcome any comments you might like to add about your responses. I am comparing data for a few different brands and I will come back and post some summary results soon. Also, if you change your mind and do not wish your response to be included after you have posted, just delete your post within two weeks and I will remove you from the analysis.

Thanks very much for your help!

Primary researcher: Paul Curwen 289-253-7008 (paulcurwen@cmail.carleton.ca)(Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ontario, Canada).

Research supervisor: Dr. Louise Heslop (louise.heslop@carleton.ca)(Sprott School of Business, Carleton University, Ontario, Canada).

The ethics protocol for this research study (#108814) has been reviewed and cleared to proceed by the Carleton University Research Ethics Board. CUREB-A. If you have any ethical concerns with the study, please contact Dr. Andy Adler, Chair, Carleton University Research Ethics Board-A (by phone at 613-520-2600 ext. 2517 or by email at ethics@carleton.ca).

1- Do you currently own a Subaru? Yes

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru) 10

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? unknown

4- How many Subaru’s have you personally owned? 2

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.) 15000 miles

6- Please indicate your current level of agreement with each of the following three statements by adding a numerical rating (i.e. 1=strongly disagree… 7= strongly agree – please refer to the scale that follows):

Statements:

A. I think that Subaru was the right choice. 7

B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru. 6

C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations. 2

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru) 12

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? unknown

4- How many Subaru’s have you personally owned? 3

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.) 12000 miles

Statements:

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru) 6

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? 100

4- How many Subaru’s have you personally owned? 1

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.) 11000 miles

Statements:

A. I think that Subaru was the right choice. 9

B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru. 9

Yes

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru)

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile?

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles)

10000 miles

Statements:

C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations. 1

on the outback forum.

OP requested a sticky and stated this questionnaire is needed for 2 weeks,...and I suggested they put it over here also.

Pilot1226 probably is going to answer it on both :lol::lol: just to screw with the data and make the tabulator work harder.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/490049-gen5-people-academic-research-study-help-requested.html

Yes.

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.)

18000 miles

Statements:

yes

72 months

120+

18,000 miles per year

Statements:

I'm going to temporarily promote this thread to a sticky. Please let me know when you're through harvesting data and I'll close the thread and un-sticky it.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Yes

3 months

60 to 120 months

4 Subaru's, including my current ones

10,000 miles

Statements:

Yes

14,000 miles

Statements:

B. Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase of a Subaru. 7

Yes

8,000 miles

Statements:

1- Do you currently own a Subaru? YES

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru) 204 MONTHS

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? ONE

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.) 18K MILES

Statements:

C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations. 3

Yes...

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru?

15 months...

It'll be years if I last that long...

5- Approximately how many miles do you drive your Subaru per year?

10,000 miles maybe...

Yes

46?

15,000 miles

Statements:

1- Do you currently own a Subaru? Yes, 3 of them.

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru) 14 years

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? Not sure.

4- How many Subaru’s have you personally owned? 6

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.) 17,000 miles

Statements:

C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations. 6

Scale

1= Strongly disagree

2= Disagree

3= Somewhat disagree

4= Neither disagree nor agree

5= Somewhat agree

6= Agree

7= Strongly agree

Most recent purchase was last Oct 2017, when we traded in the 2016 Outback 3.6R for the 2018 Outback 3.6R.

I bought my 2009 Spec B used in Mar 2011, so I could have a nice car to drive when my 2005 GT wagon 5mt, was down for maintenance.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru) 8 months

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? 24

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.) 17,000 km

Statements:

C. I believe that Subaru is sometimes unable to meet my expectations. 4

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to un-sticky this thread now. It has been at least two weeks with no new activity.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru? (answer only if you currently own a Subaru) 19

3- Approximately how many months will it be until you purchase your next automobile? 15

4- How many Subaru’s have you personally owned? 5

5- Approximately how many miles (or kilometres) do you drive your Subaru per year? (Please indicate whether in miles or kilometres.) 9000 miles

Statements:

• 1 month later...

First, thank-you very much to everyone who responded to my research request.

Your responses have been used to help understand car purchase behaviour and usage as well as opinions regarding the purchase. This information has been crucial in developing the full study which is now live and which I hope you will participate in. As you will see from the attached charts, I have compared data from a few brands. Please have a look and I'll be happy to answer any questions. It is important to note that for some brands, the sample size was fairly small and so the findings are directional. What was most valuable from your responses was information allowing me to see just how much variability there is in forum members' perceptions of whether they made the right choice. As you can see, these measures (choice, satisfaction, and meets expectations) are consistently highly positive which was expected but the degree of uniformity across brands was not. However, I did find more variability in the # of vehicles owned and the miles driven per year which is helpful for making sure I have appropriate parameters set for the full study.

With that said, I hope you will participate in the full study. All you need do is click the link I have added below. It will only take 15 minutes to complete. I think you will see the relationship between this study and the questions that you answered here. I also hope you will be interested in the questions on the survey. Once the large survey has been analyzed, I will come back and provide some results. And by all means, please feel free to forward the link to anyone you think might be interested.

here is the link

https://cuhealth.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3UIXZM2oGhji3I1

thanks again,

Paul

IXieCXv.png

Interesting results. I'm somewhat surprised that Legacy and Outback siblings landed at opposite ends of the "Correct Choice" metric. Too bad that while higher is better for the "Correct Choice" and "Purchase Satisfaction" bar charts, lower is better for "Meets Expectations." It makes the graphs more difficult to interpret correctly. Perhaps labeling "higher = better" and "lower = better" would help avoid misinterpretation.

FWIW ... In case you're not already familiar with it, I highly recommend the book The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, by Yale professor emeritus Edward R. Tufte, for deep insight into effective information analysis and presentation. Visual Display was the first (and best, IMO) volume in Tufte's now-classic trilogy on visual communication.

spacer.png

Yes

2- How many months has it been since you purchased your current Subaru?

Less than one month. Purchased 2 weeks ago.

60 Months.

This is my first.

I plan to drive about 35,000 KM per year.

Statements:

Archived