LegacyGT.com

Cruise control works intermittently on long trips

I went on vacation with the 4th gen 5MT wagon this past week. Drove 30 hours total, 15 hours each way. On the way down, the cruise control worked fine all the way at any speed. On the way back, it refused to stay on (it would set and engage for a few seconds) before it released (as if I had hit the brakes). It has done this before over the years on this same trip but never for so long. Strangely, it started working without problem the last 5 hours of the drive.

At first I thought it was heat related. As the motor warmed up, it would stop working, but that turned out not to be true (after a long rest and cooldown on a cool day, it still wouldn't work). Then I thought it might be speed related. I was cruising at 80 mph and it would stay on, but in the last 5 hours it worked in a slower speed zone at 70 mph). Then I zipped to 80 mph and set it and it worked.

I have no idea how modern cruise control systems work. Old ones (IIRC) worked off vacuum. Do new cars still use this technique or is it driven off the engine management computer?

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

• I Donated

Neutral safety switch. Basically, it registers that the transmission is in neutral when it really isn't. Some people can fix it by grinding down the washer. I needed a whole new switch. $40 from my local Subaru dealer, and about 15 minutes of work to replace.

/thread

Could be neutral safety switch or also could be brake light switch too. Sometimes they become loose and then even the slightest bump can cause the switch to make contact. Have you ever noticed a car that the brake lights seem to blink a lot when you're following it? That's a bad brake light switch.

• I Donated
Where is the neutral safety switch?

Side of the transmission, under the car. I think it is the left side? The reverse light switch is right next to it. The FSM should have more info.

Could be neutral safety switch or also could be brake light switch too. Sometimes they become loose and then even the slightest bump can cause the switch to make contact. Have you ever noticed a car that the brake lights seem to blink a lot when you're following it? That's a bad brake light switch.

Could be the brake light switch, but on these cars, every instance I have seen has been the NSS.

NSS (on the transmission), the Brake Switch, or the Clutch Switch itself - both above the pedals under the dash.

Check the FSM CL-25 or thereabouts for Cruise Control issues and the clutch interlock switch.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived