LegacyGT.com

Am i opening up a can of worms with this???

Justin3390

hey guys, i have a Pioneer AVIX-930BT. I want to mod the bezel and put it in the cubby hole where the factory nav would go. I removed the bezel and noticed a bar going across inside of the dash. The navigation is part of the unit so the depth from the face is about 7in and the width is 7in also. I put it in quickly and it looks like it sticks out but not a crazy lot but im not completely sure. Has anyone used a radio like this one before?

are you touching the heat sink on the back looks like fins that should be the only thing that gets hot like that the rest should be ok on your the wrist of your hand check the top of the radio like you would check the temp for a babies bottle besides that you could make your own ground by sanding off then bolt that ground down nice and tight or solder it with aluminum or coper wire

What do you mean you jumped the wires?

Did you run new wires from the headunit to the speakers?

Is there a factory amp?

alright dont make fun of me lol this was just a trial and error kind of thing. I split open the casing on the wires that i needed for the pioneer harness on the factory harness and attached, them then ran the radio. Thats when i touched the radio and the thing was blazing hot. Not just the back but the whole thing. Now that i know that wont work, how else can i wire up that radio without removing the factory harness from the back of the stock radio and losing the display on my climate controls?

You can tap power for the Pioneer but not the speaker wires. You will have to cut the speaker wires at the back of the factory deck and connect the outputs from the Pioneer to the speaker side of the wires that you cut. The factory radio will still power up but you won't get sound out of it.

You can tap power for the Pioneer but not the speaker wires. You will have to cut the speaker wires at the back of the factory deck and connect the outputs from the Pioneer to the speaker side of the wires that you cut. The factory radio will still power up but you won't get sound out of it.

i tried that exact same thing and it didnt work

That is all that you should have needed to do. I have been installing for 17 years and that is what I would do. Double check your work, here are the wire colors to make sure you have everything correct. If you still don't have it working, post some detailed photos of your connections and I'll take a look at it and see what I can do to help.

Battery

BLUE/RED

(+)

RADIO HARNESS

Accesory

YELLOW/RED

(+)

RADIO HARNESS

Ground

BLACK

(-)

RADIO HARNESS

Power Antenna

YELLOW/BLACK

(+)

RADIO HARNESS

LF Speaker (+)

BROWN/WHITE

THESE WIRES ALSO GO TO THE FRONT LEFT TWEETER

LF Speaker (-)

GREEN

RF Speaker (+)

RED/YELLOW

THESE WIRES ALSO GO TO THE FRONT RIGHT TWEETER

RF Speaker (-)

WHITE/BLACK

LR Speaker (+)

WHITE/RED

LR Speaker (-)

RED/BLACK

RR Speaker (+)

BLUE/YELLOW

RR Speaker (-)

RED/WHITE

That is all that you should have needed to do. I have been installing for 17 years and that is what I would do. Double check your work, here are the wire colors to make sure you have everything correct. If you still don't have it working, post some detailed photos of your connections and I'll take a look at it and see what I can do to help.

Battery

BLUE/RED

(+)

RADIO HARNESS

Accesory

YELLOW/RED

(+)

RADIO HARNESS

Ground

BLACK

(-)

RADIO HARNESS

Power Antenna

YELLOW/BLACK

(+)

RADIO HARNESS

LF Speaker (+)

BROWN/WHITE

THESE WIRES ALSO GO TO THE FRONT LEFT TWEETER

LF Speaker (-)

GREEN

RF Speaker (+)

RED/YELLOW

THESE WIRES ALSO GO TO THE FRONT RIGHT TWEETER

RF Speaker (-)

WHITE/BLACK

LR Speaker (+)

WHITE/RED

LR Speaker (-)

RED/BLACK

RR Speaker (+)

BLUE/YELLOW

RR Speaker (-)

RED/WHITE

Alright, im going to take a look at everything and see if i made any mistakes. i used those squeeze connectors for everything except the speaker wires. For the speakers, i left them connected to the harness and just split open the casing in the middle of the wires and connected it to there. You think those squeeze connectors are good enough? i used them for the speakers and it sounded horrible when made me open the casing and connect it that way which worked

You have to isolate the outputs from the factory deck. If you just spliced in the speaker wires then you are going to have issues... distorted sound, overheating the radio or worst case is blown outputs. You must CUT the speaker wires, not just splice them in. Here is a quick diagram to give you a general idea of what needs to happen. If this is what you did, double check everything. If not, do this.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr208/jeffh_04/WIREDIAGRAM.jpg

Alright, i did exactly as the diagram shows and it works like charm! Thank you very much PDXLegoWagon for the help. the only problem i have is just mounting it in the cubby hole. It sticks out rather far. I cut the cubby pocket out and shaved the sides enough for it too fit but it does stick out kinda far. For right now I'm excited to have it in there and working so i don't care what it looks like but in a week or 2 the look is going to aggravate me and i'll have to fix it. This part of it is going to piss me off the most because i don't even know where to start with trying to make it look as stock/good as possible

Glad I could help. I'm afraid I can't offer a whole lot of guidance on the mounting as I have never actually mounted a radio up there and am not familiar with whats going on inside the dash. You said there was a bar running through the space, is it a large round metal bar? If so, it's structural and you're hosed:) Post a couple pics. Not sure I'll be much help but I am curious what it looks like in there.

You have to isolate the outputs from the factory deck. If you just spliced in the speaker wires then you are going to have issues... distorted sound, overheating the radio or worst case is blown outputs. You must CUT the speaker wires, not just splice them in. Here is a quick diagram to give you a general idea of what needs to happen. If this is what you did, double check everything. If not, do this.

No, no, no. Don't cut into the factory wires. It just makes it a mess if you ever want to return to stock. The forward and reverse harness would allow for easy tapping into the speaker wires without cutting anything.

No, no, no. Don't cut into the factory wires. It just makes it a mess if you ever want to return to stock. The forward and reverse harness would allow for easy tapping into the speaker wires without cutting anything.

LOL, there is more than one way to skin a cat:) There are a few reasons I don't use in and out harnesses, cost, space behind the radio and missing wires in the aftermarket harnesses. Eight butt connectors and two minutes and the factory harness is as good as new. If I was afraid to cut factory wiring I would miss out on a lot of work.

I bought a harness and thought it would be perfect. I quickly realized that the auto climate controls didnt work when that main harness was unplugged. Cant have that lol

Well the idea is to use the harness to provide the power and illumination, and to break out the speaker wires to avoid cutting anything up.

• 2 weeks later...
i'll take some pictures as soon as i get some free time

In case you're still following this thread, I had one of these dashes apart at work today to put in a new stereo and I popped out the upper pocket just to see what it looked like back there. The bracing back there is plastic and I wouldn't hesitate to cut that crap out of there. I would cut the absolute minimum to allow the radio to fit so you can use any remaining bracing to mount the radio. I would also recommend getting the factory panel for the nav instead of cutting out the pocket on the existing panel, as I think it would be easier to make it look good with the aftermarket radio. Some research would be in order before getting the nav trim, just to make sure that would actually be the case.

sorry for not putting pics up yet, been really busy between work and the holidays. Also the front drivers side brake caliper locking up on the LGT took some time away from me also (thanks a**hole in the white work van cutting me off on rt79). When the new year rolls in i'll take some pictures and post them up....PDXLegoWagon- i did cut into that plastic bracing. i just took out the middle and left the sides so it fits snug in between them. i was going to buy the factory nav bezel but it only measures 6.5in and my screen is 7in

Archived