LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

At my shop we pressure test the system. Isolate the BPV and give it 0-25psi. Obviously we expect it to lift by 25psi and vent. If you raise the input pressure 1 psi at a time you can find the release point. We use gauges to verify no pressure lost and we also use soap bubbles. Yes, you can see it on the dyno too. Hopefully we find it before the car goes on the dyno.

Just looked at BigBoppers vid. Lol. Very familiar.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If going over stage2, I recommend a BPV. Does not have to be fancy. But something intended to hold the pressure (not the cheapo, plastic, made to hold 14psi OEM one).

What's the best bang-for-buck in this category? I.e. cheapest one that's decent?

Need to find one that works with the PW TMIC and doesn't impact the hood area. Ready for the 68HTA upgrade and this is going to be a problem.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have a GFB Respons and it almost clears. Dislike the idea of a work-around, but are there abny flanges available to port to a remote location?

Not that I know of. You could make one fairly easily but I am with you, any one who sees it will either marvel at your skills or instantly see it as a work around.

I'd definitely want it to look "right". The idea of something just hanging there or just cobbled together wouldn't sit well with my engineered-look mind.

The thread still lives! Hope my customers are doing well!

Bryan@BNR

205 640 1193

Thanks Bryan for keeping us front and center in your plans. We appreciate it.

http://www.socalsubies.com/forums/images/statusicon/wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 730x960.

08 SpecB. Built motor (online purchase), KStech 73mm intake, BNR 18g, DW 1000cc, PW Style TMIC, Invidia catted DP, OEM CBE. 4th gear. 91CAN. 234awhp, 265awtq. New CMFX350 is not fully broken in and slipping.

1170921_525448987527526_45969617_n.jpg

Closest I have handy right now:

07 SpecB. Autospeed TBE, AVO TMIC, SPT Intake, AP. 6MT, 4th gear pull. CAN91. 220awhp, 253awtq. AP tune.

1237704_525448254194266_1886124765_n.jpg

TMIC was not happy. Once we had the car off the dyno and checked it on the road, the clutch slip was already less and the car was far faster than the 07 SpecB stage2 tune from earlier in the day. It was hot (as it normally is in So Cal in August). TMIC was heat soaking in a single pull.

Edited by m sprank

So I didn't 'blow' my turbo afterall, turns out I sucked 1 big and 1 small piece of up pipe cat converter into the turbo and it created a mechanical blockage.

With the pieces removed, the shaft play increased (~.006" axial, ~.007" fore/aft.)

so I'm going to buy a new turbo (bnr evo16g), IP&T oil line, and a dw65c hopefully this coming week.

I drained and sifted the oil and didn't find anything but I'll do an extra OC within a couple hundred miles.

I'm pretty relieved and so I just kinda hit the pause button so I can round up the cash.

Thanks for the input everybody, I appreciate it!

EDIT: I just got the oil line, fuel pump and gaskets ordered from Infamous!

Edited by TheBlackPearl
Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

An unfortunate thing, having bad news to post, but such is life.

Recently had my engine rebuilt, and while it was being done, I had my 18g sent in for inspection and rebuild as well. Bryan was quick and professional as always. It required a minor rebuild, so new bearings and whatever else is included. Everything was re installed at the shop, the system was primed (including the turbo), ran for 30 seconds, flushed, filled again, and I'm now about 450mi into the break-in.

Noticed some light metal-on-metal scraping noise at certain partial vacuum levels. Further inspection discovered I was nearly a quart low on oil since the last time I checked (250mi), and oil misting/spraying from my exhaust at Idle.

Needless to say I shut down and ceased driving any further.

During the build the OCV's were inspected, I have the IP&T line/filter installed, brand new oil pump, pickup tube, cooler, and the turbo hasn't seen even a single psi worth of Boost. So what the Hell could cause a seal failure this early in the game??

I may have jumped the gun... admittedly I was a little cautious and over stimulated by any oddities since the engine rebuild, so when I heard the noise and saw the exhaust I assumed the worst.

The stuff coming out of the exhaust was just water from washing the car mixing with the exhaust soot.

The shop pulled the down pipe, there was no oil or any sign of failure. Pulled the turbo, both sides are solid.

They buttoned everything back up, listened to the turbo run with a stethoscope, all is well. They then took it for a drive, was able to re create the noise I heard which only happens under load, but they couldn't pin point its origin, so on Tuesday they'll strap it to the dyno and have some guys poke around to try and isolate it.

The mystery noise is still a mystery... but mechanically speaking, no one is concerned, so hopefully it's just a random vibration and I can chalk this whole thing up to paranoia!

The mystery noise is still a mystery... but mechanically speaking, no one is concerned, so hopefully it's just a random vibration and I can chalk this whole thing up to paranoia!

I know how you feel! Sometimes, the more I know, the more I worry.. When I got a CEL out of the blue about 1.5 years ago, I expected the worst. Figured my car was down for 1-2 months, rebuild, etc.. I just forgot to fully tighten the gas cap. :lol:

Just got off the phone with Bryan @ BNR and got my evo16g ordered up!

Just waiting for the IP&T filtered oil line kit to come off of backorder status and arrive then game on!

I'm pretty flippin excited! I miss my wagon, it's almost been a month :-(

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.