LegacyGT.com

Talons Challenge?

Brady

EDIT: 2010 Talons Challenge - Jan 23rd - Beaver Creek

Ski 13 Black and Double Black Diamond runs in one day. 23,722 Vertical Feet.

$15 - Event and registration info in the link below.

Anyone want to do this next weekend?

I've decided I just HAVE to do it. :)

I didn't even come CLOSE to finishing! :lol:

I got 5 runs in, 4 of the 6 Double Blacks. My lungs were revolting, my legs were burning, but the nail in the coffin was then my ski tip buried in a mogul and tried to take my leg off at the knee. Very slight sprain to my knee. I decided it was best not to push my luck and gave up on the challenge. I cruised a few more runs and called it a day.

Today my lungs are happier with me, but the rest of my body hates me now! It feels gooooood!

Yeah ... I've mostly skied moguls at Breck lately, but Breck doesn't have 2000 vertical feet of moguls ... so I guess I didn't take that into consideration! It was still awesome, and I have a new found respect for skiing at that level for a day.

I will regroup and try again next year. I'll be sure to spend a few more days going hard before thinking I'm ready. I'll also be sure to leave even earlier. I left home around 6:15, and still wasn't on the mountain until about 10:00 ... that's just too late. It would have forced me to make 2 runs an hour for 6 hours straight. That doesn't sound like much, but for how hard I was breathing and sweating ... it was too much. I think I did about 3 runs in 1:10 ... that was nuts.

• 1 year later...

2010 Talons Challenge 1/23/10!

I thought I'd update this since I'm doing it again this winter. I just signed up yesterday.

I went again last year. It was funny, because last year they made people sign up online first and charged for the event. I didn't know this until I was there, but figured as long as I was there, I might as well do it anyway, even if I wasn't official. I finished the whole challenge and it kicked my ass! I was exhausted and was sore for a week, but it was worth it. As soon as I was done, I was glad I fnished since I'd never have to do it again! So of course I'm pumped to do it again now! :lol:

The other crazy thing from last year was that I did it on my third day out last year! :lol:

So this year it's going to be on 1/23/10. I'm going to get a room at Holiday Inn in Vail the night before to avoid the crazy early drive. If anyone wants to go, let me know!

Archived