LegacyGT.com

COBB adjustable STS impressions

fweasel

Well, I just installed this:

http://cobbtuning.com/legacy/images/Billet-DA-Shifter-med-web.jpg

and I have to say it's awesome. I have installed short throw shifters in other cars, but I've never had an adjustable one. After installing and setting it up, I can't imagine why I'd ever use anything but this design ever again! Seriously, why put up with a throw distance or shifter height that someone else has chosen? For all I know, after all the tweaking, I may have ended up with the identical specs as the kartboy or STi, but seeing as I'm 6'8" with monkey arms, I doubt it. Being able to adjust the throw length and overall height makes this shifter the perfect choice, for me anyway.

That is all, carry on.

Billet-DA-Shifter-med-web.jpg.8470abde98760b015934c34538d10f42.jpg

ignore him, he'll go away.

Interesting that cobb lists it as for the 06, no mention of the 05. I wonder if thats an oversight or if something is really different.

Can't see how it wouldn't fit in the '05, I followed the how-to from an '05 and everything was where it was supposed to be.

Looks like they changed it. That looks different then my Cobb STS

Yep, new deisgn. It uses a 3mm hex to adjust the throw and shifter height instead of the old jam nuts. Both features can be adjusted after the shifter is installed.

Thats sweet. I was planning on getting a kartboy for myself as a christmas persent but I think I like this better. Did you do the bushings also? I'd be interested to know how much they improve the shifter feel. Whats involved with doing adjustments once the shifter is installed, just removing the boot?

Thats sweet. I was planning on getting a kartboy for myself as a christmas persent but I think I like this better. Did you do the bushings also? I'd be interested to know how much they improve the shifter feel. Whats involved with doing adjustments once the shifter is installed, just removing the boot?

I Installed the shifter, but left the boot and trim off while I adjusted for the right feel. I have not installed the bushings, yet. I plan on installing front bushings only (no rears) as soon as I get a free moment in a clean, warm garage.

Well, I just installed this:

http://cobbtuning.com/legacy/images/Billet-DA-Shifter-med-web.jpg

and I have to say it's awesome. I have installed short throw shifters in other cars, but I've never had an adjustable one. After installing and setting it up, I can't imagine why I'd ever use anything but this design ever again! Seriously, why put up with a throw distance or shifter height that someone else has chosen? For all I know, after all the tweaking, I may have ended up with the identical specs as the kartboy or STi, but seeing as I'm 6'8" with monkey arms, I doubt it. Being able to adjust the throw length and overall height makes this shifter the perfect choice, for me anyway.

That is all, carry on.

can you please post pics...preferabbly a side profile shot... thanks.

• 3 months later...
I still like it a lot. I installed just the shifter originally, but have since uupgraded the front shifter bushings. I personally felt no difference with the new bushings. I have no experience with the STi trans mount and probably won't install one unless I'm convinced otherwise.

Not to steal any thunder, but I installed mine this weekend two. I had the Old cobb design in the 05, and now have this new design....it's BRILLANT, be'n able to adjust the height and throw without having to take the rod out is just freak'n awesome.....Cobb def nailed this design perfectly.....

Here are some shots of mine

A few more : http://www.pimpmyauto.com/bpic_sts.htm

As for the tranny mount, I had it in my old car......With the STS and the Bushings that I have now (like stated before) The tranny mount isn't needed. But it's a pretty easy install and is a cheap part, and will give a tad more accuracy.......so if you wanna go right ahead and report back....:D

^ what gear are you in for those pics? I shortened my throw and dropped the height some and second is way back while first looks like neutral. I had the same deal with my CRX, so it doesn't matter to me (I'm used to it), but it confused the heck out of people who drove my car. :lol:

• 2 months later...

I'm reading the install instructions on my NEW Cobb STS!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got it today!!!

I heard so much about how this is a must that I thought I'd better do it.

I don't really want any problems!!!

How long should this install take?

Also did any of you have to do any trimming or removing of factory things?

The instructions speak of it bu I don't really have trimming and deburring tools at my home garage. Didn't really want to turn this into a fabrication project. I was hoping for a quick swap in and worry free job!!!

Any suggestions?

I've also PM'ed about a 40 people so sorry if this is a repeat.

thanks

My install took probably half an hour. I didn't trim the plate that others often mention - it just happens to be that the way I've got the shifter adjusted, it doesn't rattle or anything. Your mileage may vary.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Archived