LegacyGT.com

Satellite Radio?

Hello all. First thread here, I'm looking at buying a new '11 Legacy 2.5i Premium+AWP+Sunroof.

It appears the base radio has a SAT button but my sales lady said you have to buy an addon and you are best to get the HK audio package.

Is this correct? I don't need a 6 disc changer but really want built in Satellite Radio. How does this work?

There is a unit you need in order to get it to work. It was like 400 bucks but got a year service free. Not sure if its still the same.

Personally if you own a smart phone, get the internet only service and stream it threw your phone to your AUX port. I do this and it cost me 3 bucks a month instead of 15, and I did not need to cough up the extra money on the unit. Down side is you can't control it from the radio unit. I only listen to one station so does not matter to me.

What I did for my wife and I, I called Sirius and they offered me two radios for $19 each with free install. Best Buys did the install, they put the unit in the center console and used the AUX connector. The antennas are on the front, center above the windsheild. Sirius gave me a bunch of credits so the service is free for three months.

Nelson

Thanks fellas.

I commute in the mountains where there is no cell service, so the phone idea is out the window. Does the $400 part come with an antenna or do they install it somewhere?

The dealer installed version of SAT radio has the antenna on the upper right hand of the interior windshield. It is nice to have vs. an aftermarket option. I have it through my Limited, but since it's part of the Limited package I have the shark fin as my antenna.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

You can get the sat. radio accessory from SubaruPartsmall for $318 + shipping and you can get the installation instructions here: http://techinfo.subaru.com/search/index.html

If you buy the sat radio at the dealer & ask them to install it they will charge you list price for the accessory and also their labor rate for installation, so the $400 kit will probably end up costing you around $700. (Dealer labor around me is easily $120/book hr)

You can get the sat. radio accessory from SubaruPartsmall for $318 + shipping and you can get the installation instructions here: http://techinfo.subaru.com/search/index.html

If you buy the sat radio at the dealer & ask them to install it they will charge you list price for the accessory and also their labor rate for installation, so the $400 kit will probably end up costing you around $700. (Dealer labor around me is easily $120/book hr)

Agreed on the pricing, but you should be able to pre-negotiate the part and labor when you make the deal. You should only pay cost for the part and the cheaper SOA labor rate for install. SOA has a cheaper labor rate than what customers typically pay.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

• 2 weeks later...

My '08 didn't come with SAT, so I lurked on the forums here and put a WTB. I found someone who bought a limited that had the SAT already installed but didn't car for it. They took out the unit and sold it to me for MUCh less than list price. We both profitted.

The 4th Gen was prewired for everything, so I just took his antenna and mounted it on the windshield with new tape, and the wire plugged right in behind the maplights. The other end was prewired behind the stereo and plugged into the XM unit.

From someone who has had XM for 7+ years, the upside it, steering wheel and radio controls work great, plus it has the clean look of an OEM install.

The downside, at least on my 4th gen, was that you were limited to 3x6 presets, one line of display, and ten characters on that line. I'm not sure how the 5th gen Legacy stereos on, but I can only assume it's the same as my 4th Gen '11 Outback. It at least scrolls, but I'd say your still limited to one line and no direct tuning.

I'm saving up and just going to put in a nice touchsreen stereo/dvd with XM built in and get a steering wheel patch kit. It can be done (if you install yourself) for less than $1,000. And in the end you have a much nicer sounding and more functional/upgradable stereo. Eventually rear monitors will follow.

Archived