LegacyGT.com

Anyone seen TSB 12-136-12 "Automatic Headlight Sensor Repair Kit"

The desciption is interesting - hard to tell if it's just a replacement sensor or what... mine is out again, so I need to bring it in - just curious if they have a new design or something Edited by DrD123
tried to change title...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I should have been more clear in my thread title... I want to see the TSB as I was curious if it just shows how to replace the sensor, or if there are more things included with the replacement now (such as a redesigned sensor or something like that) - my first one lasted a few months, and my second one about 800 miles and the second one about 6000 miles

I had mine "fixed" at the 15K mark. It "broke" within a month. No trouble since - however I have only now 18K.... who knows. I manually turn on/off my headlights all the time - its in Auto simply because its the last setting - then I turn it off.

not sure what your doing but mines almost 3 years old now and has worked fine since day 1

I am actually doing very little to them - I usually turn them on manually, but sometimes I turn it all the way to the auto setting - I did that recently and the lights turned off. So it could have failed months ago - I don't know, I just noticed it recently.

The date that this bulletin is labeled is about a month before I took mine in to have this taken care of. I'm pretty sure they were aware of this bulletin and hopefully repaired it to these specs. Thanks Bopper for the info!!!!!!

The million dollar question is, does this new sensor have a longer delay before turning on the lights.

I don't think the sensor has anything to do with the delay - it just tells the control unit if it's light or dark.

IIRC, the sensor can be programmed to different levels of sensitivity.

It can, but even the least sensitive option is very quick, every overpass I go under it turns on and off again.

It would appear the dome of the sensor is tinted, I wonder what would happen if you very carefully cut it off, would the sensor think it was brighter out all of the time?

How much are the sensors, might be worth an experiment....

I don't think the sensor has anything to do with the delay - it just tells the control unit if it's light or dark.

I pretty much knew that, it was more of wishfully thinking the new sensor might not be as sensitive to the changes.

It's funny that the owners manual specifically calls out that the dealer can adjust sensativity if the owner wishes it to changed. It's almost like they knew there was a problem with the sensitivity of the sensor before they even printed the manual.

The funny part about the sensitivity is there are two levels which are more sensitive than normal, and only one step less sensitive than normal...

Anyway - brought the car in and it needs the harness... sadly, despite calling them early in the week, telling them I wanted to avoid coming in and finding out they didn't have the part and being assured they keep multiples of all of that in stock, they didn't have the part this morning, so I have to go back next week... ugh. (service manager said mine is the only car they have seen with this issue, too... lucky me - it's even happened twice...)

• 1 year later...
Hate to bring up an old thread but looks like I may be affected by this. I currently have the VOLT Hid kit installed. I always have my headlights on auto. Yesterday night on the way to the hospital to see my friends mother, my lights where on no problem. When I left the hospital the no longer went on. They did if i put the switch to on but on auto only my fogs went on. So i'm guessing that either i need to bring it in to Subaru for the recall or my Volt kit blew something. If i take this back to Subaru, would I have to revert the bulbs back to stock for the TSB?