Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was a rumor on the mp3 site that the iguidance plugin (the old one as created for IG3) does not work with the new Centrafuse because of the dotnet encoding (2.0 in the new CF). Can anyone confirm ?

There was a rumor on the mp3 site that the iguidance plugin (the old one as created for IG3) does not work with the new Centrafuse because of the dotnet encoding (2.0 in the new CF). Can anyone confirm ?

Yup - it sure doesn't work.

Oh, and i didn't father a son...That i know of anyway:lol:

well good news about the new RomRaider is that you can bring up the logger by itself meaning ... as long as it embeds properly, we got ourselves an e-dashboard and the relevant digital gauges

well good news about the new RomRaider is that you can bring up the logger by itself meaning ... as long as it embeds properly, we got ourselves an e-dashboard and the relevant digital gauges

There's a simple dashboard at http://www.codeplex.com/ssm that's worth a look too. Only problem is you have to mess with XML by hand if you want to see different parameters.

f1anatic,

You are using a tactrix cable correct? Does it connect automatically when you turn your computer on? Or do you have to navigate a few menus in order to get information?

I just bought a accessport and am wondering if I can use the supplied cable to run to my computer to run apps like rom raider.

Did you get the OBDII function working in centrafuse?

f1anatic,

You are using a tactrix cable correct? Does it connect automatically when you turn your computer on? Or do you have to navigate a few menus in order to get information?

I just bought a accessport and am wondering if I can use the supplied cable to run to my computer to run apps like rom raider.

Did you get the OBDII function working in centrafuse?

The OBD2 function in centrafuse will NOT work without an OBD-2 compliant reader which is an additional 100 dollars. I had purchased one and made it work but the refresh rate was garbage and I returned it.

I am not using a tactrix cable. I have been using the accessport cable all along without issues. In many ways the AP cable is a tactrix cable. Yes it will work with RomRaider.

That being said, with the Enginuity 047 B you had to navigate a few menus to get it working. I hope the issue can be streamlined in 050B release but I have not embedded it in CF and "played" with it yet. I just installed it on my laptop - I have not connected it to the car, set up ports, things to log etc.

wow... I'm glad you think of this as a hobby, cos you're in up to your chin on that one :lol:

I guess I cant say anything.. we've been passivley working on a similar project for about 6 months now but dont have a whole lot to show for it. Then again I haven't spent any money so thats always good.

lookin forward to pics of this :D

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I just finished relocating my info panel and installing the screen/bezel that BMac made for me last winter. Looks pretty sweet!

Relocating the trip computer meant losing the cigarette lighter. The screen came with a power cord that ends in a cigarette lighter. (insert lightbulb icon here) So I plucked the socket out, stuck in the power cord from the screen, wrapped it all in foam, and tucked it next to the radio. Screen turns on and off with they key.

The info panel relocation bracket I bought from Japanparts over a year ago isn't an exact fit for the USDM 05 LGT. I had to hack at the bracket and the back of the console, and the screws go in at funny angles, but from the outside you can barely tell. If you look real close, the corners of the bracket have a slightly smaller radius than the corners of the opening where the ashtray was, but that's all.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I did something similar to that. I actually tapped off the wires that ran to the stock cig lighter and put a new one in the glovebox. Then routed the screen plug into that spot. It works well but a word to the wise, if you ever put the stock one back in with this setup DO NOT use both at the same time.. even to light a cigarette (not that any of us smoke in our cars right?) or it will blow the fuse.

When I got this car I was irritated that the cig lighters were ignition switched.. but during the carputer project I thanked the engineers at subaru many times.. it was a ready made accessory tap!

Now I use my glovebox cig lighter for my radar detector.

I didnt like having to relocate the info center. That's a deal breaker for me if I choose to do this again. It was in a bad spot, hard to see in some lights, and it took out an emergency storage bin!

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Pics! Including the dashboard program I mentioned earlier:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/BezelInstalledVeryDark.jpg

-

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/BezelInstalledDark.jpg

-

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/BezelInstalledLight.jpg

The laptop isn't properly installed yet... I ran the USB and video cables out the side of the center console, and in these pics, I'm sitting in the passenger seat with the computer in my lap.

NSFW....how is the refresh rate on those gauges? Usable?

Also is there a way in centrafuse to maximize/enlarge the video it plays when you are listening to music? It stays small 1inch x 1 inch.....there has to be a way to maximize it.

For those of you that were interested, i'm posting a lot of my carputer pieces here, hopefully by the end of the night. Spent my memorial day uninstalling them out of the car :) I'll post a link to the classified thread here when i post it up.

For those of you that were interested, i'm posting a lot of my carputer pieces here, hopefully by the end of the night. Spent my memorial day uninstalling them out of the car :) I'll post a link to the classified thread here when i post it up.

Hey! What's going wrong with it ? :confused:

Actually, I'm abandoning the carPC project myself: I've found a way to buy the OEM navi at about 40% discount and I think I'll go that route. :)

Hey! What's going wrong with it ? :confused:

Actually, I'm abandoning the carPC project myself: I've found a way to buy the OEM navi at about 40% discount and I think I'll go that route. :)

The crazy thing is, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm just at a point in life where i need some cash for some other things. I know you never get back what you put into a carputer, but hey, it was great for a few months i had it, and hopefully i'll make someone else's life easier with selling the parts for a good deal.

I did the OEM navi conversion before I started work on my carputer, and to tell you the truth, i didn't like it at all. Subaru's system just looks sooo dated - if i could do it again, i'd just buy the subaru touchscreen and use the Garmin/kenwood brain as was done in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71423&highlight=navigation

If you look closely at the info panel in those pics, you'll notice that the passenger air bag "on" and "off" lights are both dark.

The extension cable is missing two wires that are needed to complete the airbag circuit. I managed to get the stock wiring to reach down to the panel, but just barely. I had to connect the panel wiring before tightening down the radio, and I can't screw in the trim pieces now. I'm going to take another crack at this, I'm expecting some rattles... but for now at least my GF has an airbag. :)

I did the OEM navi conversion before I started work on my carputer, and to tell you the truth, i didn't like it at all. Subaru's system just looks sooo dated - if i could do it again, i'd just buy the subaru touchscreen and use the Garmin/kenwood brain as was done in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71423&highlight=navigation

Thanks for the link: I know it. Actually a few months before that thread I started this one http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67018

which grbspecb used as an inspiration, I suppose :).

The only reason I started the CarPC project is because I tought I could have more spending less: now that I'm almost ready to install it in the car I've realized that I'm not getting (all) that I wanted and I spent almost 2.000 € in it. This is the money I'll need to install a factory navi (with 40% discount).

I really appreciate the factory look of the OEM navi: just add an iPod interface like the Alpine KCE-425i and a Parrot CK3100 handsfree kit and I've got all I need.

Maybe one day I'll upgrade the navi with the G510/G520 unit, I mean if I'll keep the car for enough time! :lol:

If everything goes on as I suppose, you'll see my classified in a couple of weeks, too. (That will include a nice cubby bezel complete with a Xenarc 700TSV touchscreen!).

Good luck with your sell!

interesting.. if you find a location to receive the screen at a severe discount let me know. I want to take a different angle on things and need it a LOT cheaper than the $900 retail on the screen unit.

I want the button assembly and the screen housing/mounting bracket.