LegacyGT.com

How many miles before you changed your brake pads?

Simple question. I noticed a faint but high pitched squealing that's speed dependent and I suspect it's the worn out brake pads. My car is at 40k. I can't really inspect the pads without taking the wheels off and I'm at work, hence my question.

Thanks.

Allot of places in NZ offer free brake checks, i'm sure there'll be someine nearby who can do that. and remember, front brakes will wear atleast twice as quick as the rears.

Alright, so after a more detailed research, I found a thread like this and it ranges from 20k to 50k on the LGT's with most leaning closer to the 50k side. Didn't find anything on the 2.5i's but I'm guessing since the weight of the car is similar and my rotors are smaller, the pads would wear quicker. Time for the Hawk HPS pads.

It is more dependant on where you drive, highway vs. surface streets, and how you drive, aggressive vs. grandma.

Depending on the wheel you have, like the GT wheels, you can inspect it without removing the wheel.

I'm at 22K and mine just started squealing. I did a little searching on here and I think it might be caused by the tire cleaner I sprayed on the rims/tires. Have you used a product like that lately? It already seems to be going away less than a week later.

Sooo, a little update. I noticed the sound is weird. It sounds "almost" like a metal to metal squeal. But it's not. After I parked in the driveway tonight, I saw a nail in the tire. I think it's not squealing but more of a whistling sound of air escaping through a tiny hole. I will fix the tire tomorrow and see if that was it.

what/how would you inspect, and what would be your indicators/parameters that it is time for a change? thanks

Visual inspection. If you get at the right angle, you can see the pad thickness. 1.5mm is the minimum you should have. New pads are around 11mm.

I changed a set at around 22 K and it was still half good. I put somewhat softer (= better pads but unfortunately dustier) and at 43 K they are half worn. That being said, I am still on my OEM rotors which are still holding and they are not warped - but not window glass smooth either.

One thing I do seem to remember is that my rear pads were more worn out compared to my fronts (compared to new ones). Yes, they have less material to start with (new) but I do recall my rears seemed excesively worn out compared to fronts. At the time, one other member here also changed his.

I've had my car back to the dealer twice b/c of warped rotors. The brakes on this car suck. The dealer did say that if it happens one more time < 36K they would replace them under warranty (they've been cut twice now). Funny thing...the dealer did try to pin it on me, saying it's a combo of hard driving and my '07 OEM rims on the car. I threw it back at him saying "or it could be that the last time I had it in here your mechanic only tightened one lug nut per wheel - the rest were finger tight". The look on his face was priceless! My wife drives the car so there is no "hard driving" involved either. If it happens under 36K I'll let them deal with it, if not I'm putting on a better set.

Archived