LegacyGT.com

The Duke of "Earl"

Wondering about a transmission Earl change on a 2.5 liter turbo engined ,,5 speed.

The car has low mileage,a tad over 24 K however it's now 6 years young since it was bought new in march 2007.

Would age factor in a decision ,or straight mileage...

Any input and advice ,would be welcomed .

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

43 views with not one comment lead me to believe that said 43 people, like me, also said "What?" when they read this.

If you are talking about the gear OIL for your transmission, I personally would have changed it like 3 years ago due to the age.

I don't think gear oil is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) like brake fluid, but I still would have changed it by now.

EDIT: I see what you did there.... Location listed as NJ.... Since earl = Oil, Khakis must = Car keys?

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

43 views with not one comment lead me to believe that said 43 people, like me, also said "What?" when they read this.

If you are talking about the gear OIL for your transmission, I personally would have changed it like 3 years ago due to the age.

I don't think gear oil is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) like brake fluid, but I still would have changed it by now.

EDIT: I see what you did there.... Location listed as NJ.... Since earl = Oil, Khakis must = Car keys?

Khakis is a new england thing..

Im sorry about the confusion..

I was speaking of changing the transmission oil.I was just concerned about the years it spent in its quarters.

Service and maintenance schedules leave you confused at times,they might put a oil change sticker suggesting a change in three thousand miles as opposed to the six thousand miles recommended .Ive always used synthetic for the engine,but when it comes to transmission oil ,,I was at a loss.

Yes,although I live in northern N.J.,I consider myself a New Yorker...

The point is,,what is required ,as opposed to what is actually needed...was my question..

P.S. I was under the impression,only bullets save lives.

how come you haven't sold this car to someone who will appreciate it?

24k miles on a 2006? Someone needs to rescue that car from you and give it a proper home.

You actually have to drive it to keep everything working. As you rarely drive it, you have to maintain it like its seeing heavy duty use (things dry out and crack from under use, too). At this point, you need to replace every rubber & liquid part in the car as it has sat for too long.

24k miles on a 2006? Someone needs to rescue that car from you and give it a proper home.

You actually have to drive it to keep everything working. As you rarely drive it, you have to maintain it like its seeing heavy duty use (things dry out and crack from under use, too). At this point, you need to replace every rubber & liquid part in the car as it has sat for too long.

What is this 1982? Rubber and fluids have come a long way since then...

Maybe someone should just take the keys away from him, he'd probably be too busy trying to catch the spheres in the air only he can see to notice.

What is this 1982? Rubber and fluids have come a long way since then...

You need to read his threads. His tires failed at 6k miles or so because they wouldn't stop in the contrived situation he put together. Was telling everyone how the specb sucked because it wasn't tailored for a driver of his ability.

you remember rao? mrtoad is hte specb version

Oh, ok, I'm still kind of new here.

So, is Thetoad kind of like WaspGT then? :)

Edit: I saw Box's reference to Rao. Hahahaha. I love this forum.

waspgt is annoying well like a wasp. Toad is grumpy and believes Subaru had it out for him when they led him to the spec b. In no way, has that car ever been satisfactory for MrToad. In fact, every decision about it was made without his best interests in mind. Why he doesn't sell it and spare the rest of us, is unknown.

He is best understood by reading his posts. Preferably with rhoads tinted glasses

Are you SERIOUS ??...or Delerious....

Hear me well,I was on the George Washington bridge,,it was raining,not hard but incessant,my speed was about 35 Mph and the woman driving a VW braked hard as I did,however the summer performance tires on the steel grated section of that bridge ,,,hydroplaned.

I bought a new set of Pirelli P Zero Nero tires immediately after the repairs were completed,the air bags did not deploy and since I never,ever ,tailgate ,,,,,,,you tell me..

I retired after 32 years as a local 94 Operating Engineer in the wall Street area using a Subaru forrester for my North Bronx to lower manhattan commute daily.That was traded in along with cash to buy this current car.

None of you know me,your judgements reflect your Stupidity.

Those Bridgestone Potenza's worthless in rain.

Here is an awesome quote from "Thetoad" :

"I herby DEMAND,,,an upgrade in TITLE...

Junior Member does a disservice to me.Im not asking for Imperial Wizard,,,,but something I can live with.....IE : something other than : junior member. "

p.s. - "Imperial Wizard" may not be the BEST upgrade either.

Also, any members here want to kill a good hour of their lives ( i.e. - feel like killing themselves after an hour of reading), should read some of his other posts.

Hmmm....I do recall that particular thread the Toadster speaks of. BUT...the last I knew, there are NO tires that work well on steel bridge grating except of course for the Festerus SP 2000 pin spike tires. You of course have to have the pin spike controller mounted in your car so that you can deploy the 3" pin spikes whenever necessary to grab steel bridge grating, but I believe those are the ONLY ones that work. One nice thing about the Festerus SP 2000 pin spike tires though is that when you are about to hit an animal on the road, you simply deploy the pin spikes and you have roadkill burger instantly as they shred that poor sucker.....:bbq:

How can anyone withstand this continued abuse,certainly not Thetoad.

This mental anguish will be addressed by my attorney,,Bruce Cutler,,of Gotti....fame.

By the way,,I never got a succinct answer to my original query...

Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yea,,,,,,

Feel those ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,'s

Feel That Pain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tomorrow,,,,small game hunting,,the chipmunks will pay,,in coin they know well,,

Assuming my transmission Earl,,,,,,functions....,,,,,,,,,,,

How can anyone withstand this continued abuse,certainly not Thetoad.

This mental anguish will be addressed by my attorney,,Bruce Cutler,,of Gotti....fame.

By the way,,I never got a succinct answer to my original query...

Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yea,,,,,,

Feel those ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,'s

Feel That Pain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tomorrow,,,,small game hunting,,the chipmunks will pay,,in coin they know well,,

Assuming my transmission Earl,,,,,,functions....,,,,,,,,,,,

This is like bad pro wrestling smack talk

Yes,it will be changed,forthwith .

What I sometimes attempt along with my love of cars is to reinvigorate ..almost a lost art ,conversation along with a sense of humor ,which appears to have been lost by Americans in general .Longer hours worked than any other industrialized country along with vacations dwarfed by Any European country may play a roll.In addition a declining standard of living for future generations is something almost unmanageable for US citizens to conceive.

I've owned a 71 Canary yellow Karmann Ghia convertible,a 1973 Thing,,aka ,Kubelwagon amongst others,many others.

I just don't understand this attack mode that so many are imbedded with.

You sir, have convinced me that we really have lost the art of conversation.(at least written conversation, in the form of an online car forum)

p.s. - I am sorry I did not use enough commas in my above sentence, but my grammar, along with my ability to write coherent sentences, are not as refined as yours. See, I did it again, not enough commas.

Archived