LegacyGT.com

Am I right to be suspicious? (wheel bearing question)

Daverino

Hi everyone.

I'm actually at the dealership posting this on over their free wifi...

Background: 2005 Outback 2.5XT manual tranny. Just at or over 60000 miles (about 2 weeks ago), I started to get the wheel bearing hum on the front drivers' side wheel. Took it to the dealer today. Have exactly 60959 miles on it now.

Dealer looks at, confirms it as a bearing issue and tells me Subaru will do a "good faith" full warranty coverage repair of the bearing despite me being just over 60k miles (it's on the front, mind you, so not covered by the extended bearing warranty). The catch is that they will only cover it if I agree to do the routine $500 60k mile service at this dealer.

Now I live in Vermont, and the next closest Subaru dealer is about 45 minutes away. Because of this, having the service dept tell me that the bearing will be covered if I do the 60k service "at a Subaru dealer" reads to me like "at our dealership only".

This dealership has an iffy reputation locally, but they're the only Suby game in town, so what can you do? Is it normal for this to be the case-- Subaru only agreeing to cover the bearing if I do the 60k service at the dealer, too? Smells like a crock to me.

Thanks.

Dave

My only concern would be that you may have been mistaken on what the actual problem is, and its not a wheel bearing at all- its something minor and they are trying to get you hook/line/sinker knowing they can straighten the issue out in 5 then rape you on the service.

Again, its a drug deal. Not always a bad thing, just comes down to where you feel your 'break even' point is.

On principle I would tell them to *ahem*... pound sand.

However if you have neither the time nor expertise, I would consider it a wash... The money they are gouging you for the 60kmi service (which costs ~$100 to do yourself) would partially cover the wheel bearing replacement which I'm guessing would be a $350+ job (the knuckle/bearing is ~$3xx). Ultimately it comes down to time, money, and whether you have the tools/knowledge to do it yourself.

If you aren't getting the warm, fuzzy feeling from it, I would say walk. You can always fix it later after having thought about it more. They aren't doing you any favors. I would even call SOA and tell them the story, foul play maybe?

Archived