LegacyGT.com

long term: F1-GSD3, RE050A PP, SP Sport Maxx, PS2, ... how are they treating you?

ilh

I'm looking to finally replace my lovely RE92s with some summer rubber. I've read everything I can on these tires, but it can be hard to find long-term writeups. For example, it seems many of these tires can get quite loud as they age. The TireRack reviews are filled with such reports. In contrast, most reviews <1000 miles are filled with "these tires are so quiet," which is true of many tires when they are fresh.

How are the LGT folks finding these tires after say 10-20k miles? How many of you are buying the same summer rubber again (because you were so happy with it)?

The F1 Asymmetric looks interesting, but it is so new there doesn't seem to be any long-term data yet.

Thanks.

--Lee

buy bridgestone RE01R - best summer tire for sure.

I had goodyear F1 for 30k and while they still could do another 20k easily, they started to tramline a lot (follow the groves in the road and the car would go all over the place all the time) and got quite loud at freeway speeds.

I had goodyear F1 for 30k and while they still could do another 20k easily, they started to tramline a lot (follow the groves in the road and the car would go all over the place all the time) and got quite loud at freeway speeds.

thats pretty damn good. thought they only lasted about 15-20k anyways? 30k will prob be the rest of the life of the car for me since they are only on during summer and i dont drive much. got 27k on the car now. had it since 04

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

about 13K on my F1's. Don't seem to be any noisier than new. They do tramline more than an all season, but not as bad as other tires I've driven on. After using them for a track event last year in the rain and standing water with fantastic results, I will happily buy another set when these are done.

I have no personal experience with the other models listed.

ignore him, he'll go away.

The RE01R isn't really meant for the kind of water that a lot of the country gets, it's meant for dry pavement. It's probably fine in areas like SoCal, but most of MA would get rains that would make them undesirable to drive on.

There are quite a few TR reviews of the RE01-R claiming good wet performance, even at 10K+ (e.g., in NC), but it is hard to tell with TR reviews. I read every review on TR, and I can't recall ever seeing so many positive reviews vs. almost no negative reviews.

Thanks for the comments guys. The CSC3 looks interesting too, but not much data yet. So many choices...

--Lee

There are quite a few TR reviews of the RE01-R claiming good wet performance, even at 10K+ (e.g., in NC), but it is hard to tell with TR reviews. I read every review on TR, and I can't recall ever seeing so many positive reviews vs. almost no negative reviews.

Thanks for the comments guys. The CSC3 looks interesting too, but not much data yet. So many choices...

--Lee

Yup, though remember to read the TR staff reviews/tests as well, as they point out some of the things that people don't mention. You always have to realize that a lot of the people buying the tire already know the downfalls, and aren't things they have a problem with. The RE-01R is just fine in mild wet, but you don't want to get caught in a heavy storm on them, they simply don't have the tread to push away the standing water that say the RE050A can.

I have F1 GS-D3. They are good tires, excellent in deep water, sticky and very quiet when new. After 35k miles got quite loud but not too bad. I think another 10k I can get from them easily. They don't tramline for me at all.

My next tire is RE050A Pole Position as F1s are kinda softish.

I got the F1 GS-D3 2 years ago during the crazy sale at TR (something like $68/tire shipped after the super sale). These were the cheaper, Chinese tires, IIRC (lower load index).

Had 'em on for 27K mixed highway/city. I think they went a little out of balance, or the wheels were bent (have hit a curb or two). Went to Firestone to re-balance them, as well as balance a set of used OEM wheels + RE092s I picked up cheap. Firestone guy said: these tires are not worth balancing - they're done. You should put on the RE092s instead.

The center of the tread has probably 1/4 to 3/8 inch left on each tire (i.e. a LARGE amount of tread). The edges were totally worn. The grooves at the sides were 1-2/32 or totally flat. To the point that the top rubber was gone, and the bottom rubber was coming through at the edges. I just thought it was some aggressive cornering having worn off a bit of rubber at the edges so it was darker, but when I took a closer look, I would concur with tire guy's assessment.

And it's not like he had an agenda as such: he recommended I put on the OTHER set of tires I already owned. They also did a free alignment inspection and said they've rarely seen a car with 48K where the alignment was perfectly within specs - no alignment needed. So, one of the GS-D3s is now my full-size spare, and I'm back running on RE092s.

Anyway, comments about the GS-D3s: VERY good in the wet, VERY good cornering, etc. Was VERY happy with the tires. Got 27K of good use out of them. Could probably stretch to 30K if I wanted to be a little daring. Drove once in snow/ice with 25K on 'em - would NOT recommend AT ALL. Did some sliding. For the price, one of the best tires I ever had. Would definitely buy again at the $70-80 price if it was available. For $150-160, am looking at other options, just haven't decided what.

Hope that helps.

I've got the F1-GSD3 as well, with about 15k on them. Nice even wear, I estimated I'll get at least another 15k on them. Overall, an excellent tire, great wet and dry traction, low noise. I'd definitely buy them again.

I've got the F1-GSD3 as well, with about 15k on them. Nice even wear, I estimated I'll get at least another 15k on them. Overall, an excellent tire, great wet and dry traction, low noise. I'd definitely buy them again.

One more point I forgot to make earlier: they did develop a decent amount of noise near the end of their life. Maybe the last 5K. Not insanely loud, but noticeable.

The F1 Asymmetrics just came in. Hopefully I can get them mounted later this afternoon.

They are made in Germany.

We are waiting for the road test.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

They're on. I've only put about 15 miles on them, about 5 of those at 65 in torrential downpour with probably 0.25+in of standing water. So far so good.

I'll have to put more miles on them, wear off the mold-release agent, etc..., before saying more.

(There were some ContiExtremeContacts in 225/45R17 waiting for installation. Those have the softest sidewalls I've ever felt, much, much softer than the RE92s and probably softer than my RSi's.)

Archived