LegacyGT.com

All in one towing reference

I know there are a couple scattered threads on here regarding towing, only because I searched quite a bit for myself. But I'm just going to list a bunch of stuff so it's easily searchable in one thread.

I have a 2009 2.5i and I used a Curt 12284 Class 2 hitch. It is the same as the Draw-Tite 36334, U-haul 36330, and the Hidden Hitch 90138. I paired it with a Curt 40003 2" ball.

I'm on spec.B Bilsteins and Rallitek springs, with an AVO 20mm RSB. Also running EBC Red stuff pads front and back. Everything else is stock.

Installation is very simple. Drop both mufflers and take out the rubber plugs that are covering the bolts in the unibody. Hitch bolts up easily with the included hardware.

Unfortunately, there is no plug and play wiring option for the 2.5i or 2.5GT sedan, but wagons, Legacy or Outback, have a harness hidden away in the back that you can buy a plug and play kit for.

I used the Curt 59146 Powered Converter. Again, all the hardware and wiring is included. I just ran the positive line along the hood release cable and pushed it through the existing grommet. Then it was as simple as stuffing the cable under the trim on the drivers side and to the trunk. I left my converter box behind the little cover that gives you access to the taillight.

I only towed around 1000 lbs for 500 miles and it wasn't too bad at all. Handling and braking wise, I didn't really notice the trailer was there, and even with only the N/A 2.5L, it didn't suffer TOO badly in acceleration and power. I could easily still cruise at 70 mph on the freeway.

I know people are going to say absolutely do not tow with our cars, but I had to make do with what I have. People in Europe tow their caravans with their tiny cars and they're ok for the most part, just make sure everything maintenance wise is taken care of.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/aigochamaloh/20130112_162938_zps5d999b34.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/aigochamaloh/20130112_153029_zps2911439b.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/aigochamaloh/20130112_152952_zpsb378712b.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/aigochamaloh/20130112_153828_zpscb5765de.jpg

• Mega Users

I know people are going to say absolutely do not tow with our cars, but I had to make do with what I have. People in Europe tow their caravans with their tiny cars and they're ok for the most part, just make sure everything maintenance wise is taken care of.

nothing wrong with towing with these cars. there are general rules of safe motoring when towing that a lot of people don't adhere to, and that's where it becomes sketchy. as long as you have good brakes, a good transmission, and a direct wired battery relay, I see no problem towing 2000 lbs with these cars all day long.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

nothing wrong with towing with these cars. there are general rules of safe motoring when towing that a lot of people don't adhere to, and that's where it becomes sketchy. as long as you have good brakes, a good transmission, and a direct wired battery relay, I see no problem towing 2000 lbs with these cars all day long.

I tend to agree. Also need to factor in the tires and their load limit but he shouldn't have a problem. The trailer weights more than the bike - which is often the weight people ignore :)

OP - speed is typically the biggest factor, if you keep it under control and drive like you're towing I've towed without issue on regular vehicles.

I agree completely, provided the load in the trailer is properly distributed. In the case of the bike in the uhaul, it is not. Maximum tongue weight on a class 2 hitch is 200 lbs. You put the entire 380 lb bike in the trailer in front of the trailers axle. When using a class 2 hitch it is always a good idea to load the trailer while not connected to the tow vehicle. That way, when you lift the tongue on to the ball, you are testing the weight distribution at the same time as hooking everything up. It will also leave the rear suspension a little more travel which on our SpecB models is admittedly a little soft for towing applications.

I agree completely, provided the load in the trailer is properly distributed. In the case of the bike in the uhaul, it is not. Maximum tongue weight on a class 2 hitch is 200 lbs. You put the entire 380 lb bike in the trailer in front of the trailers axle. When using a class 2 hitch it is always a good idea to load the trailer while not connected to the tow vehicle. That way, when you lift the tongue on to the ball, you are testing the weight distribution at the same time as hooking everything up. It will also leave the rear suspension a little more travel which on our SpecB models is admittedly a little soft for towing applications.

You're right. I rushed the load and didn't distribute it ideally, but the person who bought the bike wanted everything done that day and I rushed the whole process. I towed an empty trailer around for most of the 500 miles. I picked up the bike and delivered it, and that was around 60 miles. Next time, if I ever have to do this again, I will load it properly.

I think I'm more excited to use the hitch as a bike rack. Should be convenient!

And right on the brakes. I added in the OP that I am running EBC Redstuff front and back.

You're right. I rushed the load and didn't distribute it ideally, but the person who bought the bike wanted everything done that day and I rushed the whole process. I towed an empty trailer around for most of the 500 miles. I picked up the bike and delivered it, and that was around 60 miles. Next time, if I ever have to do this again, I will load it properly.

I think I'm more excited to use the hitch as a bike rack. Should be

convenient!

And right on the brakes. I added in the OP that I am running EBC Redstuff front and back.

Hitch bike racks rock. Just keep in mind backing up, tail lights and being rear-ended. If I put both my bikes on the back of the car, it'd be worth more than my legacy itself. I put the bike in the trunk for this reason so it's covered without question by my insurance.

Hitch bike racks rock. Just keep in mind backing up, tail lights and being rear-ended. If I put both my bikes on the back of the car, it'd be worth more than my legacy itself. I put the bike in the trunk for this reason so it's covered without question by my insurance.

Holy crap, expensive bikes... I'm much more recreational. I think I want to get snowboard attachments too.

And now that I think back, I think the tongue weight was light enough. I had to disconnect the trailer and redo it cause the uhaul people didn't tighten the coupler enough. It was light enough to easily lift the trailer with the bike and move off the ball while I fixed stuff, and I'm in no way buff. I'll pay more attention enough next time though.

Archived