LegacyGT.com

Intermittent shake at freeway speeds?

shralp

Hoping someone out there has some suggestions to track this down as its driving me crazy. I've noticed over the past few months that I'm getting some shake in my steering wheel at speeds over 60 mph but it doesn't consistently happen all the time which seems strange. I assumed that maybe my winter wheel set up, (Michelin Pilot Alpins) was out of balance so I had them rebalanced but the problem persists. Car also had new A-arm pillow bushings installed this last summer as the original ones were badly cracked. Also installed 0 degree Whiteline bushings in the A-arms as well. Running JDM Rev A Bilsteins with Whiteline Control Springs, (.75" lower). Have had them on the car about 35,000 miles. I did recently upgrade to Wilwoods in the front but can't see why that would cause anything like this. Anyone have any ideas on this? The fact that it doesn't happen all the time is so weird to me. I am nearing the life of my winter rubber but would that cause anything?

Were the wilwoods used? Did you re-use your old rotors?

I read that wilwoods don't have dust seals around the pistons, and are known to need regular cleaning. If the pistons are clogged, they may come out unevenly, thus pushing the rotor unevenly and making it wobble when it rotates.

Two possibilities.

1) Your A-Arm bushings were not pressed in properly and they are shifting. This can be determined from a visual inspection.

2) Your brakes are the culprit. They are rubbing or the rotor is warped. Or, as stated above, the pistons are sticking and causing weird issues.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, the Wilwoods were bought used, (from forum member rosscarlson), with about 15K on them. I did swap out to new rotors and Carbotech Bobcats so that should eliminate them being suspect. The thing is, its not an issue while braking and only at freeway speeds, but only sometimes :( Thats why this seems so strange to me. A-arm bushings appear to be fine and these were put on last winter with no problems. Also have been getting regular alignments with my Firestone lifetime alignment package. Anyone else have any thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

Bump - I'm having the exact same problem... from 60mph onwards, I'm feeling shaking in my steering wheel. I also thought it could've been my brakes since they were so warped, but I've replaced the rotors/pads and still the same issue. I did notice the LCA bushings were in bad shape, could this be the cause?

Shralp - Did you ever get this issue solved?

Nope still dealing with it. Its going to have to get looked at in the near future. Presumably, yes the LCA bushings could be the cause for you and the OEM ones will go bad over time, mine did. At this point someone with more knowledge than me is going to have to give it the once over. The car does see a fair amount of track time so I guess I can't be too surprised that something has gone out.

• 2 weeks later...

Black_rain,

I have read in so many posts bad LCA, but still wondered about the symptoms. When my OEM LCA bushings were bad, i found driving on grooved highways or crosswinds really squirrely. I didnt know at that time it was the LCAs, but when i jacked the car to swap my RSB i could see the cracks but even then it didnt look so bad. But after i changed to AVO LCA bushing, problem solved and the steering and tracking was much much better. Also felt that if you tug at the steering wheel and if it feels your steering aint responding, then the bushings our suspect.

Hi, yes, replaced the front bushings with AVO units, (zero degree) as well. Tie rod ends seem to be fine but I'm going to have a trained eye go over the suspension as I just don't feel comfortable taking it to my first track day on April 25th without having this sussed out. Really frustrating not knowing what the hell is causing this.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - I replaced my rotors/pads, checked tires, tested different tire pressures (between 34-40), AND replaced the LCA bushings...the rear bushing was replaced w/ Whitelines anti-lift kit, and the front was replaced w/ Whiteline as well. THE SHAKE IS STILL HERE WTF!!!

Has anyone ever had trouble with their tie-rods or ball joints?? I'm at a loss....

UPDATE!!! WOOHOOO Fixed the issue!!!

Checked w/ the shop who originally balanced my tires, they did NOT do a road balance. Took it to my brother's dealer, he did a road balance and found a lot of issues with balancing. Not only was it out of balance, when he took the wheels off he noticed very small bends in the right-front wheel and the rear-left wheel. Both bent wheels were sent to the back, and completely balanced. Shake is 100% gone.

I am real happy the shake is gone, but kinda ticked it took this long to figure out. I had to replace the brakes and LCA bushings anyway, so I guess it's not a completely lost effort. The stock LCA's were VERY bad... ripped completely, surprised they didn't pose more of an issue.

With the whitelines, there is VERY little NVH noticeability, if any, and the car is just better.... not a huge increase, but it's a good idea to go w/ aftermarket bushings if you have to replace your stockers (which you will).

Not all balancing machines balance a wheel to account for "road force".

Imagine spinning a wheel while the car is lifted, it will balance differently that when there's pressure exerted pushing the wheel down into the ground (from the weight of the car). Road force blancing is better, but could cost more.

cool thanks for the clarification. I'll check to see what my local firestone uses. Hoping its a problem with my winter rims, (inexpensive Sport Editions). If one is bent no big deal. Once the weather clears I'll put on my 18" Prodrive Pff1's to see if that clears it up. Crossing my fingers....

*meant to say road force balance.

Shralp - Did you do the test where you jack your car up and try to wiggle the wheels? Get the front wheel off the ground, put one hand on top, one on bottom and push/pull to see if there is any play... I did this to mine expecting some play, didn't have ANY play, which ruled out my tie-rod/ball joints. Have you checked your wheel bearings? I was reading on nasioc that some people (albeit not w/ LGT's) had this issue when their wheel bearings would start to fail.

Yes, definitely going to try this as soon as the weather clears up and I have some time. Unfortunately we have a narrow single car garage that is barely wide enough to open the drivers side car door so I have to work on the car in the driveway :(

i have the vibration through the steering on mine too and have not been able to get rid of it yet either, wheels balanced 3 times, lca bushings replaced new front rotors pads and calipers, im pretty sure something is up with the tyres. i must try my old 17" stockers that have winter tyres on them and see if i still get the vibration. its always the little things that drive u crazy!

Archived