LegacyGT.com

Two different OBX exhaust systems?

toomanytoyz

Hey Guys,

I've been listening to exhaust vids and checking out exhaust posts for close to two weeks now. I think I have settled on trying the OBX exhaust system, and now that I am seriously looking on eBay, it seems there are two different ones.

I see one set with a two piece, slip-fit midpipe, and huge thin wall tips, and is 3" all the way.

http://www.tuningdepot.com/ebay/images/ex11648.jpg

And then I see another one that is a one piece midpipe and 2.5" after the Y with smaller, thick-wall tips. I like the look of this one A LOT better.

http://www.racingpartsdepot.com/pictures/EX11701b.jpg

http://www.racingpartsdepot.com/pictures/EX11701c.jpg

Is this a running design change or is this a different system altogether? I realize the first one I linked is wagon specific, and the other is sedan, but I thought the only difference in that should be the length of the tips?

Sorry if this has been covered before...

TIA!

I can chime in here. I actually have a set of the cans from the first exhaust system (wagon specific).

Not only that, but I also have the X02 (ebay), same as GMS, Mid and Y pipe.

As mentioned above, the tips of the muffers stuck out about 2-3" past the bumper on my sedan. The inlet to EACH muffler is also 3", making them impossible to swap out with the stock cans, or any other mufflers out there.

I ended up then getting a good deal on a mid and Y pipe from a member on here. This design of the mid and Y are the same as in the second exhaust you posted, except my mid pipe came with a resonator welded in.

Although the second exhaust system is only 2.25" after the Y, it is plenty. I have also heard that you can use the stock mufflers with this style (X02, GMS, eBay) exhaust.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the wagon cans. I'm over loud exhausts. I think ill need every bit of the stock mufflers and resonated mid to keep my catless turboback quiet...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6600/18331019006246758661249.jpg

As mentioned above, the tips of the muffers stuck out about 2-3" past the bumper on my sedan. The inlet to EACH muffler is also 3", making them impossible to swap out with the stock cans, or any other mufflers out there.

Got any pics?

Unfortunately I don't have any of the cans when I test fitted them. I do have a few of them installed on a wagon, as well as many of them not installed...

I can post some...

Thanks! What did you think of the look on the sedan - good or bad with the tips sticking out? It seems like there should be some adjustment to the overall length of the system with the slip joint in the midpipe, so you possibly get it to pull in some as long as it doesn't hit anything? Do you by any chance have a measurement from the hangar to end of the exhaust tip? Are you happy with the quality of the wagon system - it's been said that it's much better overall than the GMS/ebay catbacks. Rust/corrosion?

• 2 weeks later...

To bring this back to the top with a pic request... Does anyone have any pics of a sedan exhaust installed on a wagon???? Curious to see how short the tips are. Concerned with drone issues if they end before the bumper...

TIA!

• 1 year later...

Bumping old thread...

Anyone know of a vendor with the OBX wagon version in stock?

I'm contemplating trying it out with a Magnaflow muffler style resonator over further mods to my cxlighting that already has two of the bottle style resonators...

I think the extended tips probably do make a big difference...

I checked with erz today and they stated they're out of stock.

• 1 year later...

*OLD BUMP*

I need to see some pictures of the Sedan exhaust on a Wagon, if anyone has this setup. Will the Sedan exhaust fit regardless, with only the tips needing to be extended? I can fab up longer tips no problem, I just need to make sure that the mounting points will all line up on my Wagon. I don't like the Wagon exhaust, looks too loud, and the cans look silly. I don't understand why they felt it necessary to change the mufflers so much on the wagon.

Thanks for anyone with any info!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived