LegacyGT.com

ATSCO or Cardone remanufactured P/S pump.. or expensive OEM?

Power steering pump is definitely gone, what do you guys think of these options? :

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/jfg22557/Screenshot2012-02-27at124502PM.png

Usually not one to go for off-brand replacements, but would really rather not pay $3-400 something for an OE replacement if I can avoid it.

Opinions/experiences?

-Jake

Either one should be fine, worst case...you get a bad one, but it's easy to replace. Keep the paper work.

Most people use aftermarket parts for all kinds of things.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think he's asking remanufactured vs brand new rather then OEM vs aftermarket. No?

To me, they are basically the same. I have no problem buy other then OEM.

If these places made carp parts, they would be out of business soon.

Hey does Fred Beans sell re-man OEM parts ? I know some of the Honda dealers do.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

For my other car a few months back I got a low mileage alternator from a parts yard, even picked it out and for 1/4 of the cost of a remanufactured one. Sounds odd but in some instances I would take a very low mileage used oem over a remanufactured one.

Appreciate the input everyone, my apologies for not responding sooner. Just been swamped with work over the past 24 hours.

To MasAy and Max, yes I was originally trying to compare oem new vs remanufactured, but as max said, remanufactured is essentially aftermarket. I was just hoping to avoid any known issues (if any exist) with the Atsco or Cardone pumps. They very well may have tight qc and keeping the paperwork sounds like insurance enough. Going to further look into both companies' warranty info when I get home/on a computer.

Well the cardone is in and all went fine, however I found out where the fluid was going.. can you guess???? (hint, not the old pump)

What are my options for as close of a ratio rack & pinion that will fit? One of the jdm (ver. something) sti racks? issues with a RHD rack on a LHD car? Closest ratio USDM sti rack? Not interested in an oem replacement.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge in this area, as Ive yet to have to deal with this pleasurable experience :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• 8 months later...
Just to add for whoever searches and finds this thread. My A1 cardone pump died after 18k or so. Leaking like a sieve...but ti was a hundred bucks so I purchased another...

Was going to add an update myself as soon as I've got the car up in the air to confirm, but the front of my timing cover appears to be doused with p/s fluid.

Noticed fluid around the pulley area, and subsequent excessive belt squeal from my nearly brand new acc belt as well.

Will let you all know for sure, but Im fairly confident Im in the same boat as ViscousSquirrel with around the same mileage on my Cardone reman pump.

I will surely be contacting the company regarding their warranty seen here:

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/jfg22557/Screenshot2012-11-20at53318PM.png

Will keep you all posted,

-Jake G.

I live in Hawaii. They don't ship here. Nor will they let me pay with my credit card and ship it to a friend in the mainland. Therefore, I had to have my friend in Georgia buy it for me and ship it to me. I have to ship the bastard back to him and cause him more hassle than I already have over a hundred bucks. It's not worth the strain. Also, mine is leaking from the same place and I cleaned all th scrap off it to find "china" stamped on the main seal of the pump. Sigh.

What is the cost from Fredbeans ? If it's that much hassle to get get parts, you may just want to call FB and buy from them.

Or Heuberger from the vendor forum link up top.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2005/SUBARU/LEGACY/?siteid=216335&vehicleid=1430733&diagram=7523370

WOW $440.00

See if they have a rebuilt one or try NAPA on line. You should be able to find a better one.

Or ask m sprank to ship you one. I'm sure he can get a good pump. Use the resources here.

Think outside the box.

Archived