LegacyGT.com

Boost Creep

Currently I just have a stage 1 tune through my cobb ap but I have purchased a catless invidia dp and will be using the stage 2 tune until I get my pro tune. Once I get tunned I also will be getting a cobb sf air intake and I'm afraid of a boost creep. So, if I were to get a boost control solenoid when I went to get a pro tune would this help prevent boost creep?

The only time you're going to run into bad boost creep is when you have a Cobb OTS tune on a catless downpipe and running an internal wastegate. Even then, its not going to be an enormous detriment to the engine. As long as you aren't targeted @ 17psi, and its creeping to 21-22psi, you'll be fine. Stage 2, it really should not be an issue. If it does happen, deal with it then. If you want to avoid this, run an aftermarket single catted downpipe.

The only time you're going to run into bad boost creep is when you have a Cobb OTS tune on a catless downpipe and running an internal wastegate. Even then, its not going to be an enormous detriment to the engine. As long as you aren't targeted @ 17psi, and its creeping to 21-22psi, you'll be fine. Stage 2, it really should not be an issue. If it does happen, deal with it then. If you want to avoid this, run an aftermarket single catted downpipe.
To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever had boost creep on a stock VF40 or VF46 with any type of exhaust bolted onto it. I don't know why you even mentioned having a Cobb OTS tune. True boost creep is a mechanical problem that can not be corrected with adjustments to a tune.

To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever had boost creep on a stock VF40 or VF46 with any type of exhaust bolted onto it. I don't know why you even mentioned having a Cobb OTS tune. True boost creep is a mechanical problem that can not be corrected with adjustments to a tune.

Exactly. True boost creep is where WGDC has been reduced to zero, either in the initial settings or via intervention via Turbo Dynamics, and still will not stay down at the target boost. This happens because not enough gas is able to bypass the turbine, and instead spins it faster. This in turn is caused by the wastegate flow being insufficient, and is exacerbated by free-flowing turbo-back exhausts.

Because the VF-40 and 46 have such tiny turbines, the wastegates are quite generous in size. I've never heard of anyone running into issues with boost creep on these turbos... quite the opposite in fact, people are usually complaining they can't keep it up at higher revs. ;)

Install your downpipe, get your protune done, and enjoy.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Well, **** me, that's just what I've read from others before. This is why I don't post :) lol

Disregard my cheesery

I believe I'm thinking of people who have used certain downpipes that don't allow the wastegate flap to open all the way, in turn producing boost creep. Makes sense to me now.

• 2 weeks later...
My new ss-18gxr is having some boost creep issues but my tuner said he could tune around it. It was 10 degrees out the other night and my boost creeped up to 21 psi with my wastegate duty cycle at 0. Is that something where you could just make your target boost that high then drop the timing or whatever majic they do? Definitely don't have the funds for an external wastegate right now.

Archived