LegacyGT.com

how to mesure the oil level

hi guys

have driven boxers before and they had to be mesured with running engine (911)

with my TVR Tuscan i had to mesure the oil level max 10 seconds after stalling the engine (dry sump)

have seen that i have to mesure the level of my automatic gearbox with running engine

so the big question is how to mesure the oil level from my subaru.

running or standing, cold or hot engine

rens

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make sure the car is on level ground, and engine cold. You may have to pull the stick and let the oil settle for a few minutes and then check it.

I have removed the o-ring from the stick and mine is easier to read.

Sometime you need to read the back of the stick.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have found that on a cold engine, having a level that reaches the vertical level of the F results in a at temp level that reaches the notch. I always shoot for that during changes. For a hot check, I wait 10 mins and check. I always shoot for this to be at the notch.

Yes

found out that the level is much higher with a hot engine

but it doesnt really matter what you do if you do it right and everytime the same.

with my TVR the difference between hot and cold was allmost 1 liter

having read that the subaru engines are very oil sensitive it's a need to know

rens

not proud, but it was a special car (especially the oil mesuring)

was fond of all of my former cars

9 x porsche, 2 x renault alpine 310, 1 lambo espado, 1 maserati merak, 1 de tomaso pantera group 5, 3 beamers, 2 mercs, 2 lotus esprits, 1 vette

they all were very special, one a bit more than the other.

i was more a mecanic than a car polisher

did a lot on drivability with all my cars

the TVR was terrible on high speed and the lotus was top

my knee has gone now so need to focus on day'ly drivers with an automatic gearbox. in that sector the legacy wagon is a nice car

will get a new knee in september.

:eek:

rens

swapped to boat ownership

that's were the subaru kick's in

needed something to pull the boat/trailer combo

Awww that's too bad about your knee, sounds like a really fun and exciting car history you've had! I also should note, these cars use oil. Not taking that into account I ran my car for a couple thousand miles and when I finially checked my oil it was two quarts low! But it's still running flawlessly (of course I filled it up)!

• 1 month later...
Bump sorry to bump this thread but I had a question about my oil. I was checking it Sunday morning and everything was ok. When I was closing the hood I noticed my sticker for my previous Oil Change said it should have done on May 2, 2012. I hadn't thought about it because I got my last oil change done at 118,450 miles. I now have 120,670 so I was waiting till I hit 121000. Should I change my oil now since its been so long since the 2nd? I live in Dallas, TX

• I Donated Too
not proud, but it was a special car (especially the oil mesuring)

was fond of all of my former cars

9 x porsche, 2 x renault alpine 310, 1 lambo espado, 1 maserati merak, 1 de tomaso pantera group 5, 3 beamers, 2 mercs, 2 lotus esprits, 1 vette

they all were very special, one a bit more than the other.

i was more a mecanic than a car polisher

did a lot on drivability with all my cars

the TVR was terrible on high speed and the lotus was top

my knee has gone now so need to focus on day'ly drivers with an automatic gearbox. in that sector the legacy wagon is a nice car

will get a new knee in september.

:eek:

rens

swapped to boat ownership

that's were the subaru kick's in

needed something to pull the boat/trailer combo

My brain is officially scrambled after reading this.

famaya26, The main point here is you better be checking your oil more often. Don't pay much attention to the date on the sticker. The oil can last longer then the time they say.

It sounds like you don't drive the very much. When you do drive it, is it on the highway or just in town? Oil life has a lot to do with how you drive.

Better safe then sorry, is a good practice if your not sure. I have gone much longer on my oil changes but most of my driving is highway for 20-35 miles over the 154,000 miles on my 05.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

famaya26, The main point here is you better be checking your oil more often. Don't pay much attention to the date on the sticker. The oil can last longer then the time they say.

It sounds like you don't drive the very much. When you do drive it, is it on the highway or just in town? Oil life has a lot to do with how you drive.

Better safe then sorry, is a good practice if your not sure. I have gone much longer on my oil changes but most of my driving is highway for 20-35 miles over the 154,000 miles on my 05.

I do a lot of city driving. I work, 5 miles from my house. It's a 10 minute drive down a 40 mph Rd. Since buying the car in Aug 2011 ive added 6417 miles. I check my oil every weekend add as needed. Doing the oil change this next weekend to be safe. Im doing it myself seeing as how I'm a little strapped for cash.

PS: This is going to be my third oil change since getting the car. Is that ok?

Yes, you'll want to stay on the short end of the oil change interval. Glad to hear your going to DIY. I get a lot of peace of mind knowing I can most things on the car.

If you have the time and a place you can learn a lot here about DIY on these cars. Its a good feeling.

Yes, you'll want to stay on the short end of the oil change interval. Glad to hear your going to DIY. I get a lot of peace of mind knowing I can most things on the car.

If you have the time and a place you can learn a lot here about DIY on these cars. Its a good feeling.

Yea, it's such a good feeling lol. Back in Mar. I had to replace my radiator and after getting quoted 500 for labor plus parts I decided to just do the job myself. Next on my list is my TMIC, it's starting to leak so I'll have to get a new one ASAP.

500 for labor....that's ouragous, thats a easy job.

You should start your own thread about your next project or search, the tmic is easy to work with. Just don't over tighten the bolts into the turbo. Its aluminum.

500 for labor....that's ouragous, thats a easy job.

You should start your own thread about your next project or search, the tmic is easy to work with. Just don't over tighten the bolts into the turbo. Its aluminum.

Yea I was 135 for replacing the hoses, and 365 for the radiator. I'm hoping to go with an aluminum TMIC. I was thinking Perrin or AVO. Keeping the car stock after that though. Later on I'll probably lower her so I have a 2 finger gap all around

I just bought the 2 hoses from the dealer for my rebuild. I think both radiator hoses were less then $35.00.

Lol yea the hoses were 30. I was told that it was a meticulous job. I had my first oil change done at the dealership, second at a local mechanic and now I'm doing it myself. The second time I had it done, The mechanic insisted I had a SOHC engine in a GT. try explaining that kids these days add Turbos to just about any car lol.

Lol yea the hoses were 30. I was told that it was a meticulous job. I had my first oil change done at the dealership, second at a local mechanic and now I'm doing it myself. The second time I had it done, The mechanic insisted I had a SOHC engine in a GT. try explaining that kids these days add Turbos to just about any car lol.

I hope you didn't ever go back to him.

"I was told that it was a meticulous job." I don't think so. Open the hood, the top hose is right there, Look down on the drivers side, the bottom hose is right there, you can get to both ends of it. Even if you had to pull the radiator and fans, for someone that knows what they are doing that's 15 minutes.

Please check back here before you have anyone touch your GT.

Archived