LegacyGT.com

New Battery time: suggestions?

Wasn't there a thread here last week about this.

Just go to Walmart and buy a Everstart Maxx, I have been runing one since Sept 09.

This isn't rocket sicence, don't over think it. It just a battery. Most are good.

No matter what you buy...someone will always say you should have bought a different one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

haha i'd pretty much agree with max capacity

but for more discussion on batteries, this thread has some suggestions:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/best-battery-cold-winters-140374.html

i also got a walmart battery, but it was branded energizer, manufactured by johnson controls though; CCA was rated at 640 so it was an improvement over stock. the group 35 one should fit without any issues. decent price for the battery.

I started a similar thread in the 3rd gen section because my fiance's '01 legacy had the battery die last week. I went with the Everstart from walmart for her car as well... I'd probably go that route with my car too if the battery died. cheap and works just like any other battery.

EDIT: OP i see you are stage 2 on your B... how do you like it? what do you have for mods? I'm on the fence about going stage 2 and would love more feedback. You can PM me if you wanna keep it out of your Battery Thread.

Oh, be sure you clean the terminals real good and coat the neg with grease so it doesn't corrode.

For general info, most batteries will last 6-7 years. Me, I tend to change mine out in the end of the 5th year if Winter is coming. I don't mind a dead battery during the Summer time. In January, it's a different story.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Walfart.. I have one in every car I own... I beleive they source from one of the best manufactures. Jacobs controls or it could be exide.... I forget but when I orginally researched batteries for my diesel truck (it take two giant batteries) I went to Walmart for cost and warrentee as it was the best in the retail business.

Walmart batteries at least used to be Johnsons Controls.

Exide batteries are garbage. I used to work for a AAA contractor back when they used Exide batteries, and the average life of those batteries was 1 yr. Some lasted only a few weeks. No kidding. So bad that AAA has since switched suppliers.

I put an Interstate in my Legacy. Never had a problem with one, even running stereos.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

That's the Optima brand, right? I had a friend go through a few of those, but that was probably his car, not the battery... (he owns Pontiacs exclusively)

I know they usually have higher CCA than most batteries, but I find them too costly.

If you have a high-power sound system, you might want to seriously consider Optima I guess.

Yea, its an Optima, Red Top is for high power cranking (usually for high power studio system), Yellow Top is for deep cycle. I found the Yellow top is so powerful that it would start my car easily every single day, in any kind of weather.. (ran down to 4F couple weeks ago, and would be a problem)...

Plus, the Yellow Top can store more energy (because its a deep cycle battery) and has higher CCA

Yes, it's costly, but considering 5 years free of replacements, nah.. it's totally worth it ;)

GL

Well there ya go :) What kind of warranty does Walmart offer, if any?

I lived in Colorado Springs for 21 years and never had a problem with my Interstate batteries, even when it was -20 degrees out, like it was last week. haha! (laughing at all my relatives)

Archived