LegacyGT.com

How to tell which rear wheel bearing is bad?

Hi, I have a 2005 lgt limited with 186k on it and when I got my last alignment they said I would need to soon replace a rear wheel bearing I just don't remember what size they had told me. When I drive and am going around a right hand curve or turn the noise is very strong coming from the right. Also when I drive the wheel pulls to the right very badly. I bought the new wheel bearing/hub assembly today from autozone but I need to know hitch one o replace! Any help would e greatly appreciated! :)

If you just had a alignment and your car pulls to the right I would go back and make them do it over. As far as the noisey WB. Put it on the lift and turn the wheel by hand. You should be able to hear/feel it. If not, run it on the lift and have someone stethescope each side.

I had the alignment about 7 months ago, and the noise has been there for about a good 4 months now :/

Do what I did, have someone drive your car with the music off and windows up and sit in the back seat so you can hear what side its coming from.

• Mega Users
If you just had a alignment and your car pulls to the right I would go back and make them do it over. As far as the noisey WB. Put it on the lift and turn the wheel by hand. You should be able to hear/feel it. If not, run it on the lift and have someone stethescope each side.

this has been effective for most, although it wasn't for me. I had a passenger ride in the back seat, and she told me where the noise is coming from the most. It can be tough to distinguish. I took some quick turns left and right on the highway kinda like how they do in nascar to heat up the tires. whatever side that you turn away from that's louder will be your culprit.

OP, you have an 05? you should just replace both, the OE bearing hub assemblys on those cars were no good, Im suprised you are just hearing this.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

this has been effective for most, although it wasn't for me. I had a passenger ride in the back seat, and she told me where the noise is coming from the most. It can be tough to distinguish. I took some quick turns left and right on the highway kinda like how they do in nascar to heat up the tires. whatever side that you turn away from that's louder will be your culprit.

OP, you have an 05? you should just replace both, the OE bearing hub assemblys on those cars were no good, Im suprised you are just hearing this.

Stethescoping from UNDER the car while you are driving at 50 is the only sure way to tell. Ive never not been able to figure out which one is noisey this way. You can also tell if one is starting to go by stethescoping.

If the bearing is toast there will be play in the wheel. Jack up car. Grab top and bottom of wheel. If there's play, it's toast.

If there is play in a wheel bearing it would be undriveable. The noise would be deafening, and the wheel would be very close to falling off.

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk

If there is play in a wheel bearing it would be undriveable. The noise would be deafening, and the wheel would be very close to falling off.

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk

You have no idea what your talking about. I have had several cars with wheel bearings that had play. They wobbled. They made noise. And they ate tires. I have seen some disintegrate and some that we're rebuildable.

Archived