LegacyGT.com

New Here. In the market for an LGT 5MT

Hi everyone. Names Jim. Looking for an LGT. New here but not to cars or subarus. I had 2 WRXs and been working on cars for years. Current project is a 2JZGTE into an IS300. Hoping to finish that this weekend and then want to find an LGT.

Anything I should look out for? From what I been reading I should look out for the Turbo and normal Subaru head gaskets and valve cover leaks.

Found a decent 05 LGT 18x,xxx miles seller says runs great new turbo 5MT perring exhaust and lowered. Engines stock. Has leaky VC onto the up pipe. I got him down to 4500 and Im pretty excited about it.

Any tips would help greatly.

I plan on keeping it a while. But I'm 27 and had 100+ cars so what I say and what I do is different. But I would really like to keep it but the major down fall is the tan interior but eventually I'll buy black stuff.

As long as I get through this next winter I'll be happy. I will work on an engine in the mean time.

Are the 2.5I short blocks the same? I have access to 1 for 50 bucks and could start rebuilding it.

I plan on keeping it a while. But I'm 27 and had 100+ cars so what I say and what I do is different. But I would really like to keep it but the major down fall is the tan interior but eventually I'll buy black stuff.

As long as I get through this next winter I'll be happy. I will work on an engine in the mean time.

Are the 2.5I short blocks the same? I have access to 1 for 50 bucks and could start rebuilding it.

No. Very not the same.

New shortblock from Heuberger is $1645. Add on a gasket kit and it's $2081 shipped anywhere CONUS. It's the best deal you'll find. Either way, it'll start the car with a clean slate, and if you want/feel like hocking it, it makes a great selling point. Buy it for 45, drop another 3-4 into it, and it could be worth about 10-12 -- Not a bad margin, eh?

Whatever you decide, good luck!

He said it was putting oil thru it and was aware of turbo issues so replaced it. He has the old turbo and it is rebuildable just shaft play. Doesn't look like fins hit any of the housing.

• Moderators
No. Very not the same.

New shortblock from Heuberger is $1645. Add on a gasket kit and it's $2081 shipped anywhere CONUS. It's the best deal you'll find. Either way, it'll start the car with a clean slate, and if you want/feel like hocking it, it makes a great selling point. Buy it for 45, drop another 3-4 into it, and it could be worth about 10-12 -- Not a bad margin, eh?

Whatever you decide, good luck!

I don't think spending a net of 7.5k-8.5k on a 18x,000 mile LGT is ever going to get you your money back. Certainly not worth $10-12k as of late.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

That is a good deal on the engine but I like to put my own stuff together. I work as a mechanic and have full access to a machine shop.

That's good, but you should read some of the build threads and see why that's not such a great idea if you want the car to last longer than the first 3000 miles. See Turkeylord and WaspGT's build threads for what not to do, and then just go buy the factory SB. Cheaper and easier.

That's good, but you should read some of the build threads and see why that's not such a great idea if you want the car to last longer than the first 3000 miles. See Turkeylord and WaspGT's build threads for what not to do, and then just go buy the factory SB. Cheaper and easier.

Oh, like somebody else did...? Or did that somebody do it before those other two...

OP read my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh, like somebody else did...? Or did that somebody do it before those other two...

OP read my click here link.

Or, yes, like Max did! (Sorry, Max!)

OP, it sounds like you know cars, but, unless you're really seasoned in the inner workings of Subaru motors, building your own shortblock will only lead to a multi-thousand dollar hole.

I put together my last wrx engine. Wasn't built tho just a stock rebuild. Didn't have issues. It'll depend what I can get parts for. We work close with a subaru dealer so I get employee pricing. I also completed the boxer training because I am a Toyota technician and we had to do the training because of the FRS.

Sounds like you know what your doing. Read a few threads on here and you'll know what to watch for.

IMO these cars like to be driven for long distances, they don't do well making short trips and being shut off.

I think you know they offer great bang for the buck. My wagon is the most fun car I've had since my 1970 Duster 340 4 speed. That was a high 12 second car back in th day. The wagons faster.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived