LegacyGT.com

Potential Honda Ship-Jumper... Pondering a Legacy

b18c_ej8

Hello LegacyGT.com! I'm a devout Honda owner since I bought my first in 1997. I've outgrown my current car (2002 Accord 2dr) and I'm thinking about jumping ship into a 2008 or 2009 Legacy. Kids & 2 doors don't exactly go together, and now that I'm a little older, I'd like something a little classier/fancier than my 10 year old coupe.

When I started looking at these cars, I initially ruled out the GT models simply because of the "temptation" factor in modding and such. I've put thousands (more thousands than I'd care to tell you) into my project Civic, and I'm just not sure I want to start doing that again... I concentrated my search on the 3.0R just because of the lack of modding potential. I also wasn't really sure I wanted to deal with the maintenance factor of the LGT - I've been babied with the low-maintenance needs of the Honda's I've owned... I also quite like the thought of not having to do a timing belt on the 3.0R, as opposed to 80-100k on the 4 cylinder models...

However, I found a 2008 LGT with 30K miles for a very reasonable price, and it's not 4 or 5 hours away like the 3.0R's I've found, so I'm reconsidering my prior stance on the turbo. Even then, the H6 still seems like the right choice for me.

So I guess my question is if anyone else 'round these parts is a Honda convert? Any advice for a potential first-time Subaru buyer? :spin:

I'm looking to be.

Currently the owner of a 2008 Acura TL; saving up money for an LGT as we speak.

Basically, from all the stuff I've seen around here, the general conclusion I've drawn is that for the LGT's you basically just need to get used to the fact that there is a greater possibility that stuff on the car is going to break. Conversely, however, the LGT can be made exponentially better with simple stage 1/2 mods, or into a monster with stage 3. This is the reason I'm still saving up for one. I want something to work on, something that will go fast and handle well when I'm done. Or for that matter, I never really want to be done. I know stuff will break... I plan to fix it with beefier aftermarket stuff. Just in general, I rarely see LGT's that are unmodified. I think it's a bona-fide tuner's car.

This all being said, I think that the 3.0R Legacy would be the way to go. It will probably turn out a much more reliable daily driver in the long run if you just want to buy it and leave it stock.

Another note-worthy piece of info is that the car I owned before my TL was a Subaru Outback H6. That car was as reliable as the sun. In many ways I miss it.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck & welcome!

If you've got 2 growing children, think about a 2010+ 3.6R (uses regular unleaded) or the 2010+ GT. A lot of room in the back and better mileage. 5th Gen Stage I (ECU map only) puts out about the same a 4th Gen Stage II.

Unfortunately, a 2010+ is out of my budget. :(

Turbo or NA? I'd get whichever would make me happy & with the least regrets since I'll be the one driving it. 0.02 cents.

I'm pretty torn between these two choices right now:

2009 3.0R with 60K

or

2008 LGT with 30K.

The 3.0R is $1k less than the LGT, and twice as far away from me.

I failed to mention before that this car will be a "pleasure" car, as I have a company vehicle for work. It'll get driven mainly on the weekends, so I won't be putting 60 miles a day on anymore like I did before I had the company Jeep getting to/from work.

Would I be a fool to pass up an LGT with 30K miles priced at $18k for a 3.0R with double the miles but a year newer and a thousand cheaper? What a dilemma... LOL!!!

Pleasure, go with the GT.

See my avatar, I to came from Honda's. I bought that civic new in 1992, drove it 196,000 miles before it's first Apex-I turbo kit, then went on with it to run a 9.85 ET.

Everything you need to know about these cars is on here somewhere.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm pretty torn between these two choices right now:

2009 3.0R with 60K

or

2008 LGT with 30K.

The 3.0R is $1k less than the LGT, and twice as far away from me.

I failed to mention before that this car will be a "pleasure" car, as I have a company vehicle for work. It'll get driven mainly on the weekends, so I won't be putting 60 miles a day on anymore like I did before I had the company Jeep getting to/from work.

Would I be a fool to pass up an LGT with 30K miles priced at $18k for a 3.0R with double the miles but a year newer and a thousand cheaper? What a dilemma... LOL!!!

Pleasure --> LGT.

Invest a couple thousand in it once you get it (downpipe, tune, light suspension & brake mods, etc.) and you're good to go. Or go insane, the choice is yours. And people on this site have done everything in between, so learn from them.

If you can find a wagon it would be better in the space department. The 4th Gen legacy is cramped in the back seats. The 5th gen has space to spare. The wagon would be a good compromise, but they are older and hard to find.

GL

X

---

My wife and I have had our shares of owning Hondas (01 Accord, 88 Prelude, 01 CRV, 99 & 05 Odysseys). We still own an 05 Odyssey and it is the wifey's daily driver to work and our 2 little kids' schools. Bought our first subie 4years ago as a used car. It was an 01 Outback w/ 164k miles. Despite of what I had learned about the head gasket failure in these models, we still went ahead and bought one. I was impressed w/ the built quality and even at 164k miles, it was still pretty solid. We are now on our 2nd Subie (09 2.5i). Never owned the turbo or H6 motors, so I can't speak on those. But from our experience, Subaru makes well built & quaility vehicles.

ive had 4 subies 3 being legacy, 05lgt, 09 2.5i, 10 fxt and a 10 leg 2.5i, love the legacy the most out of all the subies

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Not really a "convert" since I still own two other Hondas. The LGT I have now is basically just something more comfortable than the other cars and something I use when I go to the mountains or need more space.

My Accord is still my DD since it gets better mileage(29-31 mpg avg vs ~25mpg on the LGT), and as you've stated, lower maintenance needs. My LGT blew about a month after I bought it due to that banjo oil filter issue. The Civic is currently out of commission(engine pulled and is still out); but basically handles better than the two.

I can wait... I just don't know if I want to... I may go anyway and look at that GT this weekend... I think I remember seeing somewhere in the listing that it had new tail lights... Perhaps it just got rear ended. I'll pull some carpet back and look under the spare tire (and under the car) and see what's up.

29K is just too few miles to let go without even looking at it. Plus, it's an excuse for the wife & I to take a road trip. It's getting to be leaf-peeping season 'round these parts. :)

I have had both cars that you are looking at. I bought a Legacy 3.0 2 weeks ago, and so far I love it. The engine is bullet proof. I also bought it for the lack of mods available. I got the bug last year for my Legacy GT and didn't see an end. I loved modding it though to be honest. The 3.0 is super smooth and has a terrific sound. I will say it doesn't feel quite as "eager" as the Legacy GT at times. But I will also say that the Bilstien shocks make a nice smooth, firm well handling ride on the 3.0 vs. the GT. Also, the 3.0 comes with 18" wheels, and that made a surprising difference over speed bumps and other bumps on the road. Also, a 3.0 is a little less expensive on maintenance, because it has a timing chain versus a timing belt.

As for the GT:

I had an '05 Legacy GT and loved it. It didn't have any major problems. I drove it from 50,000 to 127,00 miles. The only things that broke were the interior blower motor, and the radiator cap started leaking at 130,000. I replaced the starter as well, it was getting noisy in cold weather.

So I guess it's a choice. Little to no mods, but a nice smooth ride. Versus, nice quick speed, the option of a manual, unlimited mods, and a larger following. There are not a ton of 3.0R people out there. Either way you will be happy especially when you find a nice road. The only difference is wether you car will have a turbo whistle or the groan of the flat 6.

A couple of updates on my search. Had planned on driving the 2.5 hours to see the 08 Legacy today. On the way home last night from buying my wife's new 2013 Accord (freakin' sweet by the way), I happened to find a link to the carfax that I hadn't seen before. The carfax actually listed 2 accidents, and indicated that there was structural damage. Forget that one for sure now. :(

Fast forward to this morning when i found a 2008 XT about 2.5 hours in the opposite direction. We headed out to the dealership and found the XT being sold as we walked in the door. I was like WTF, mate?

I did take an 09 LGT out for a test drive though. Cat drove nice, but the interior was not as clean as I expected it to be. Leather seats were faded and cracked and there was a pretty bad smoke odor. Plus it was $3k more than my budget. We drove home empty handed. Pretty bummed, but I wasn't going to settle.

So the search continues.

• 2 weeks later...

Search is over! Found a 2009 3.0R on Long Island (4.5 hours away) and made the trip down yesterday to pick it up. Couldn't say no to 34K miles and Certified.

After driving 5 Honda's since 1997...

C-c-c-c-combo breaker! LOL!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/b18c_ej8/IMAG0259-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/b18c_ej8/IMAG0258-1.jpg

^^Crappy cropped pics from inside the showroom.

Archived