LegacyGT.com

Side Skirt Extensions

Hello, I'm planning on ordering some side skirt extensions for either a Mazda 3 or evo 9. I have been searching for a while and cant seem to find a lot on which ones will fit the best after being modified to fit. Thanks for any insight!

• 1 month later...
Hello, I'm planning on ordering some side skirt extensions for either a Mazda 3 or evo 9. I have been searching for a while and cant seem to find a lot on which ones will fit the best after being modified to fit. Thanks for any insight!

I was wondering if you found the answer to this. I've been hunting.

I heard the mazda ones are close to perfect.

I heard the same, but which ones: Mazda 3 04-09? 10-12? 4 door? hatch? Which manufacturer? Ebay? Amazon?

Any information from anyone would be GREAT!

Are these the ones?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mazda3-Style-Urethane-Extensions-Models/dp/B00FEXCIJO?ie=UTF8&keywords=mazda%203%20skirt&qid=1465324460&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7]Amazon.com: Mazda3 4/5dr MS Style Urethane Side Skirt Extensions For 10-11 Models: Automotive[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates on the installation?

Unfortunately, no. I got the extensions in the mail a week ago, but haven't even opened the box yet. Was planning to remove my lip and mudguards to spray them all flat black to match. It might be a while. Sorry! I'll be sure to report back when I do.

Unfortunately, no. I got the extensions in the mail a week ago, but haven't even opened the box yet. Was planning to remove my lip and mudguards to spray them all flat black to match. It might be a while. Sorry! I'll be sure to report back when I do.

Cool. Do you plan on dremeling the raised parts of the skirt? Or just try to fit it without modification?

I had a few hours this weekend to start the process. I held up the extensions and they fit pretty much perfectly WITH my factory/oem mud-guards which sit over the rocker panels about an inch or so.

Cool. Do you plan on dremeling the raised parts of the skirt? Or just try to fit it without modification?

Yes. I had to dremel the raised parts down. I didn't realize I would need to so I actually had to buy a dremel for this project, and that was an unseen cost. Oh, well. They are useful in general.

The bad news is I did not realize how easy plastidip is to spray until I tried my hand with krylon auto paint on these. Came out horribly. Will be sanding down and trying again. If I fail again, off to a paint shop. All of the plasti dipping I've done in the past came out great; I didn't realize spray paint was so different.

Hopefully I find some time this week to wrap it up. Want them on pretty badly!

I had a few hours this weekend to start the process. I held up the extensions and they fit pretty much perfectly WITH my factory/oem mud-guards which sit over the rocker panels about an inch or so.

Yes. I had to dremel the raised parts down. I didn't realize I would need to so I actually had to buy a dremel for this project, and that was an unseen cost. Oh, well. They are useful in general.

The bad news is I did not realize how easy plastidip is to spray until I tried my hand with krylon auto paint on these. Came out horribly. Will be sanding down and trying again. If I fail again, off to a paint shop. All of the plasti dipping I've done in the past came out great; I didn't realize spray paint was so different.

Hopefully I find some time this week to wrap it up. Want them on pretty badly!

Spray paint takes way more prep. You gotta hit it with plastic primer first then paint over it with auto paint.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Spray paint takes way more prep. You gotta hit it with plastic primer first then paint over it with auto paint.

I primed :).

I just suck at spray painting, lol. Everything had a dusty texture which usually means the can was held too far away. I got quoted $200 to have a shop paint the lip, extensions, and 4 factory mud guards a flat black. I'm thinking about it before spending another $35 in supplies and several hours of labor.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up. I tried painting again, this time with a plastic primer and truck bedding black spray (I've used this before successfully, very easy to get an even coat). This came out great... or so I thought. It may have been me being impatient or the humidity outside. I resanded, washed, reprimed, and sprayed.

Finished that same night, and left them overnight to dry. Woke up the next morning, and laid everything out in the sun to bake and dry some more. I attempted to mount them after work around 4-5pm (about 20 hours since the last coat of truck bedding). The paint was still SUPER soft and was coming off at any slight scrape. The fact that the primer was a light color made these super visable.

I suck at this, and will probably not attempt something like this again unless it's plastidip (that shit is easy). I think my impatience gets the best of me.

I remounted my lip (knowing I will need to have this repainted AGAIN most likely).

I used 3m tape to mount the side skirt extensions to see how I felt before stabbing my baby with self-tapping screws. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so take the following lightly:

the lines on the mazda 3 extensions don't line up with the rocker lines on the legacy. The extensions have this wavey contour-line that lines up perfectly with a mazda 3. Some people looking at might see it as a 'cool design', but to me, it gave off a 'hack-job' appearance. I didn't like that. I was also under the impression that the Mazda 3 ones would fit perfectly length-wise with the factory mudguards, but that wasn't the case either. When mounted, the extension pushed that small flap in front of the rear wheel-well out a bit. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. From a far, it looks amazing. It's the exact look that I wanted (and still want), but the close ups would've haunted me.

I will be selling these and possibly looking for another route, maybe making my own and having them professionally painted. Sucks to put so much work into this little project with negative returns. Whomp whomp.

IMG_0785.thumb.jpg.92a1f9d2093ca38eb0d08e341522451b.jpg

IMG_0786.thumb.jpg.9059b9e0265a36090c7616ac4efca3f2.jpg

IMG_0787.thumb.jpg.aa5a3e22d147a66ae0da19109f350219.jpg

How effective would it be to just hack off the extra half inch? I'm assuming with some sandpaper, love and attention it wouldn't look that bad.

As for the wavy lines that match the Mazda, are you referring to the area under the center of the driver door? It looks like it squeezes toward the transmission then back out?

How effective would it be to just hack off the extra half inch? I'm assuming with some sandpaper, love and attention it wouldn't look that bad.

As for the wavy lines that match the Mazda, are you referring to the area under the center of the driver door? It looks like it squeezes toward the transmission then back out?

You know, now that you mention it, it did run through my mind to trim the front of extension to move it forward and sit flush against the front mudguard. I might reconsider this....

And yeah. That wavy line dips under the rocker panel, then comes back out again if mounted on the Legacy. From a distance, it looks like a bunch of parallel lines, but close up you can see it doesn't line up and that bothered me a bit too much.

• 3 weeks later...
If you do sell it' date=' i am willing to buy it off you. Im also in virginia[/quote']

I brought them to my parents' house in MD to sell to someone else that fell through. When I grab them and bring them back to Vienna, VA, I will contact you.

I did not. They were only temporarily taped on in the pic for looks.

thanks for the follow up. I purchased the EVO ones, but haven't mounted them yet. they aren't as nice as I hoped, but given the baysonr price I guess shouldn't be surprised. I was hoping for something similar to the new 15+ sti optional oem side skirts - I've seen decent knock offs of those. These seem like cheaper made plastic and more glossy than I expected.

Anyway, If I get time this weekend I'll tape them up and post pics here. the front lip, however, looks to be decent - I'm going to keep that for sure (also baysonr)

• 6 months later...

Archived