LegacyGT.com

Has anyone figured out the oil dipstick yet?

I've owned a Subaru for 4 years and I still can't figure out how to get a clear reading from that diabolical engine oil dipstick.

1-If I pull it out after my car stayed put for a long period of time and take a reading immediately (WITHOUT wiping it, re-inserting it and pulling it out again), I will have a clear oil line halfway between the min and max level holes.

2- If I wipe it, put it back in and pull it out again (as the owner's manual states), the oil level will be waaaay over the max level, even over the "hot" level. And it is hard to tell exactly where the oil stops on the stick.

3- I've tried to pull the dipstick out and wait a while before putting back in as some people suggested to allow the oil in the tube to go back down and I get the same results as in 2. I've even tried to let it sit overnight and no difference.

4- I've tried to insert the dipstick all the way to about 1in before it is fully inserted and pull it out again to take a reading and I get a clear oil line around the "max" level. But because the dipstick was not fully inserted, that would mean that the level is about 1in over "max".

So basically, "1" indicates me that the oil level is okay, "2" and "3" might have corrupted results because of the oil sticking in the dipstick tube and "4" indicates that there is way too much oil.

Which one is right? :spin::spin::spin:

hmmmm.....

Maybe I'm wrong here, but possibly there is some sort of vacuum or air stuck in the dipstick tube created when the engine is running. Until you break that vacuum (removing the cap) the oil remains pressurized elsewhere in the engine. Once you remove the dipstick, things settle where they should be, hence your 2, 3, & 4 readings are all the same and correct. If you really wanna test that theory, let it cool, remove the filler cap, then let it settle for a while and see what type of reading you get there.

RTFM way is the only way I've every read, been told, or seen to read a dipstick. I think Subaru, along with all other engine manufacturers, know what they are talking about.

Which means... You put too much oil in your car. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the dipstick on our cars is not one of the easier ones to read. If I pull it and clean it and then go for another reading the oil is about 3/4 the up to full, but if you look at the back of the stick it is very very high. :spin: I dunno, anyone else have a comment on this?

hmmmm.....

Maybe I'm wrong here, but possibly there is some sort of vacuum or air stuck in the dipstick tube created when the engine is running. Until you break that vacuum (removing the cap) the oil remains pressurized elsewhere in the engine. Once you remove the dipstick, things settle where they should be, hence your 2, 3, & 4 readings are all the same and correct. If you really wanna test that theory, let it cool, remove the filler cap, then let it settle for a while and see what type of reading you get there.

RTFM way is the only way I've every read, been told, or seen to read a dipstick. I think Subaru, along with all other engine manufacturers, know what they are talking about.

Which means... You put too much oil in your car. :rolleyes:

Looks like you were right.

This morning (the car haven't moved at all for about 18 hours), I've pulled the dipstick out just enough to break the vacuum but not enough to coat the inside of the tube with oil, pushed it fully back in and pulled it out again and I could see very clearly that the oil level stopped way too high on the stick, up to slightly over the second "twist".

Looks like breaking the airtight seal formed by the o-ring on the yellow handle allowed the oil to go up in the dipstick tube.

I've drained about 100ml of the oil out, let it sit for a while with the dipstick out and checked again. This time I could see a very clear line and it was just a tad bit under the "F" mark.

So that means that if you put just slightly too much oil in it, it will completely screw up your readings whatever you do. Good to know.

• 3 weeks later...
My 2007 2.5i non-turbo dipstick does have this problem with inconsistant levels and different reading on each side of the stick. I then try to average it out based on the 2 sides. I just put 4.2 qts. and the level shows 1/2 between full and low. Yet especially after an oil change, the level seems to fluctuate.

+1 ya I don't know what side to trust. Not only that but when I attempt to inspect the level...it isn't even a straight line. It like zig-zags and swirls so I just try to get a rough idea and guess that 4.2 - 4.5 quarts is close enough.

• 6 years later...

I agree with others this is by far the worst oil dipstick out of the 5 other subaru's I've owned.. I have to end up checking and pulling like 7 times before I can figure I'm safe.

and Don't get me started when you can't check on level ground

I checked my oil the other day and the dipstick read 0, nada, nothing, empty. I was freaking out a bit because i had just changed the oil the other day.

turns out my car had the wrong dipstick in it. one from a NA Legacy. The GT dipstick is slightly longer, and when i get the right one in my car it read full and i was relieved

It seems like taking off the fill cap before pulling the dipstick would accomplish the same thing, no?

Hm, maybe not.

I have played with that a few times. Not really sure it made a difference.

Sometimes at home I'll pull the stick and loosen the cap. Come back later and check the oil.

On weekends now in VT I try to remember to pull the stick after I get back from skiing on Sunday before the drive home. Then, after packing the car, before we leave I'll check the oil.

It's all a crap shoot. IMO a little to much oil is better than not enough.

Yea, I have even played with reading both sides as well as putting the stick in backwards. Freak'in Subaru

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This dipstic sucks compared to my Nissan, but it's Godsend compared to a MiniCooper dipstick.

I always check 2 or 3 times to make sure. Pull stick out, wipe, put it in, count to 5, pull out and see, whip put it in count to 5 and pull out again.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived