LegacyGT.com

Oil change, 40,000 miles *BONUS* Poll inside

Which oil brand would you recommend?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which oil brand would you recommend?

• Amsoil
    • Redline
    • Royal Purple
    • Mobil 1
    • Other brand

I have searched this topic and I find year old threads. I want to read new up dated info.

I have 40,000 miles on my LGT and I want to know if I should change the grade of oil I put in. I use 5w-30 M1 with oem filter. I also live in San Diego so it does not get really cold here, only in the mid 50's.

I'm also going to change oil brands and filter after all the reading I did.

Which kind of oil fitlers are most LGT owners using nowadays.? Also is it really worth buying the really good stuff?

Geramn Castrol Syntec 0W-30 when I can find it, otherwise the Castrol Syntec 0W-30 made in the US. Both seem to perform well, and both are a full class IV synthetic base stock. The GC requires less topping off in my car, so something in there is maknig the oil harder to burn off. My car drank Mobil 1 like it was f***ing Coolaid.

Geramn Castrol Syntec 0W-30 when I can find it, otherwise the Castrol Syntec 0W-30 made in the US. Both seem to perform well, and both are a full class IV synthetic base stock. The GC requires less topping off in my car, so something in there is maknig the oil harder to burn off. My car drank Mobil 1 like it was f***ing Coolaid.

The US 0w30 is not Grp IV. Only the one made in Germany:icon_wink .

The US 0w30 is not Grp IV. Only the one made in Germany:icon_wink .

That used to be the case, but in order for Castrol to market the oil as a synthetic they had to change to a full synthetic base stock. I also am unaware of any oil that does not have a fully synthetic base stock, that is capable of as wide a viscosity range as 0W-30.

I use a blend of 3 qts. Chevron dino and 1.5 qts. Chevron synthetic (or Havoline dino and synth, whichever is cheaper). No oil related issues to report, except my oil consumption with the Chevron is about 1/3 of what it was when I was using Mobil 1. IMO, you don't really need 'the good stuff', regular oil is fine as long as you follow the maintenance schedule and the oil meets spec. Those high $ oils are great and perform well, but unless you're doing long drain intervals or planning on keeping your engine in good shape long after the rest of the car is falling apart you probably don't really need them.

Archived