LegacyGT.com

Headers, Which ones crack and which ones don't

sumfoo1

I've had good experiences with GT-Spec, but I'm probably going to use a set of TurboXS headers.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Besides slip joint leaks, I've heard good things about Perrins. I got them for their smaller primaries, been running them for 11k miles or so with no cracks.

Just had the leaking slip joints welded, so who knows how long they'll last now. But I did start a thread on nasioc asking who had their welded perrins crack and got several responses of good experiences, no reports of cracks.

All headers will eventually crack. Physics. That being said, good brands last longer and have better warranties.

Perrin-expensive and warranty void if wrapped or coated. Also poor workmanship.

GTSpec/Tomei- great price. warranty good if wrapped or coated. extreme qualty control. comes with very nice uppipe.

Borla-lets not go there

AP- I feel like they are in the Perrin range.

AVO- can you say overpriced?

KillerB-very nice if you got $1500

FullRace- best out there. also $2000+

Good to know. I really like the GT-Spec. Knowing that members have them long term with no cracking (so far) is good info. When you see them up close, the welds are almost works of art. Obviously a lot of machine welding. They also port match the pipes and add a velocity stack to the up pipe. Very nice touches. The foam formed flanges are really nice, and I prefer the three bolt up pipe flange. Better seal. Did I mention that they come with about $60 worth of high quality gaskets too? Gaskets you can actually use.

Large tube means FullRace. Read between the lines.

When you have a 500+whp car no one cares about spool. 4000rpm hit is normal. Motors are built and produce more low end grunt, so spool is not an issue. Entirely different monster. Hence the saying "power is a downshift away".

If we are talking about street cars still, then earlier spool is better. So obviously you need to have enough back pressure to support your goal. But who the **** puts a set of FullRace headers/uppipe on a street car? Oh, the knuckleheads driving on public roads in what is really a race car.

im getting the fast motorsports headers for their price. I will then bring them straight to a friend/welder and have all the welds reinforced and the headers looked at and touched up if need be. This was suggested to me from my tuner whom i trust very much. yes the extra welding will cost some money but it will also make the three hundred dollar headers last longer. i also agree with spranks previous post. for a street car, the full race headers are not necessary considering the price.

Borla is. They also honor the warranty. But you will be swapping headers every 6 months or less. In my experience. My last customer who bought them had to warranty them twice in 3 months and finally sold them.

Archived