LegacyGT.com

Another bubbling behind dash question

Hey guys, did a lot of searching and realized this happens fairly often for various reasons. Most not to worry about. So about 2 months ago I got a new radiator and filled it from the radiator itself... Oops/. Always fill from highest point. duh. The overflow tank was a lil high for a few weeks but has recently always been at the high mark in the morning. Never higher, or lower.

Had my car on ramps yesterday changing my oil, and as I came off them, I heard that bubbling, gurgling noise for the first time right behind the dash. Drove home with no issues, waited until this morning and checked levels. Overflow was still at high, radiator at the top, but the turbo reservoir had maybe 1/3 of coolant in there. I filled it up with the car running and the heater on, had some bubbles but didn't drop too much.

Drove 10 minutes to work and checked 2 hours after getting there and it was 1/4 low. Should I just add more and keep an eye on it? I am assuming this is because I did not originally fill the system properly. Sorry for the long post!

Hey guys, did a lot of searching and realized this happens fairly often for various reasons. Most not to worry about. So about 2 months ago I got a new radiator and filled it from the radiator itself... Oops/. Always fill from highest point. duh. The overflow tank was a lil high for a few weeks but has recently always been at the high mark in the morning. Never higher, or lower.

Had my car on ramps yesterday changing my oil, and as I came off them, I heard that bubbling, gurgling noise for the first time right behind the dash. Drove home with no issues, waited until this morning and checked levels. Overflow was still at high, radiator at the top, but the turbo reservoir had maybe 1/3 of coolant in there. I filled it up with the car running and the heater on, had some bubbles but didn't drop too much.

Drove 10 minutes to work and checked 2 hours after getting there and it was 1/4 low. Should I just add more and keep an eye on it? I am assuming this is because I did not originally fill the system properly. Sorry for the long post!

Google on how to bleed the system.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Get urself a spill free funnel to properly add coolant. It bleeds and adds coolant to the appropriate level that the system needs. Super freaking easy.

If ur still getting low levels u probably have a leak somewhere externally or internally (heads). I went thru this with my 3rd gen for about a year.

Get urself a spill free funnel to properly add coolant. It bleeds and adds coolant to the appropriate level that the system needs. Super freaking easy.

If ur still getting low levels u probably have a leak somewhere externally or internally (heads). I went thru this with my 3rd gen for about a year.

Defnitely could have used that funnel haha. Added coolant to the top tank till it was full. This was with cap open, heat on full blast until reaching normal temp. Had some bubbles in there as the coolant circulated. Never any bubbles in the overflow tank though. Checked today and it was still about half low. Radiator itself started leaking coolant out the top as soon as I pulled the cap off. Overflow tank still on the high mark. Thoughts? Brand new short block and heads were sent to machine shop. Filled top tank again and will check again after it sits for 8 hours

Y'know what else is super freaking easy? Using full words when posting.

This isn't 2001, there's no character limit on tapatalk, or your browser.

Defnitely could have used that funnel haha. Added coolant to the top tank till it was full. This was with cap open, heat on full blast until reaching normal temp. Had some bubbles in there as the coolant circulated. Never any bubbles in the overflow tank though. Checked today and it was still about half low. Radiator itself started leaking coolant out the top as soon as I pulled the cap off. Overflow tank still on the high mark. Thoughts? Brand new short block and heads were sent to machine shop. Filled top tank again and will check again after it sits for 8 hours

Would be good to jack the front of ur car a bit as u bleed the system. That'll get all the air out better and faster

Will do, keep forgetting that part. I always fear the worst ( heads ) hoping its just air in the system. Never had to really burp a car before this one. Gotta love the redheaded step child off the car world!

Jack up the right front corner as high as you can, remove the turbo tank cap, start engine open heater to full heat.

Watch the bubbles come out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Lol it's all good. In the morning my when I started my car u could hear the water running thru the heater core (not good) I chased where the air was coming from for the longest time until 3 of my cylinders were soaked. No bueno. Shaved the heads ad bought all new gaskets from Subaru. She runs so much nicer now

Archived