LegacyGT.com

AWD question.

I have stage 3 tune, here in alaska got about 1 foot of snow. Now it is -15F so everything is frozen. When I try to drive my car in it i go sidewayz as if it is only RWD. I have summer tires so figured that was the issue. If I peel out only the rear wheels spin not the front. I'm not super familiar with Subaru AWD so don't bash me. Is there to much power? Or does it transfer to the rear wheels first then to the front? Any other AWD i've had all wheels spun or at least 3 of 4. I had AWD DSM's for a long time.

Go to wikipidia and look up "summer only tires"

GET a CLUE as to what summer only means.

Buy some snow tires.

Please close this thread before you get flamed....!

Where do you live again...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Your center diff. mite be gone or going. On a snow covered road, engage E-brake to lock up the rear wheels. Try to drive the car. With all the power going to the front wheels. You should be able to spin the front wheel & drag the car forward. If you can't. I would be looking at your center diff.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Buy some snow tires.

:lol:

stage "3.5" with summer tires and you can't understand why the wheels are slipping in 1 foot of snow?

trolololol

:rolleyes: but still don't explain why he's not getting power to the front wheels.

...If you can't. I would be looking at your center diff.

If you can, expect to be diff shopping soon.

This is a terrible idea. Do not do it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

:rolleyes: but still don't explain why he's not getting power to the front wheels.

Dollars to donuts, the fronts are spinning too and the OP just doesn't know it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

FWIW, From what I read somewhere I believe automatics are 45/55 to give them a rwd performance feel. I don't if that's completely true but on ice my tail pops out like rwd when I take a turn. But I do know my awd works fine since its been driving in the air while on a lift.

That could be very true, but you would think he could feel the front wheel spinning thru the steering wheel.

On snow covered roads & summer tire, it's not going to hurt anything. Not like I told him to do it for prolong time or drop his clutch a 3-5k like some people do when they drag race. Just give enough power like you would normally take off from a stop like with a cop behind you.

Or have a friend watch you front wheel to see if they spin when you take off. That way to don't stress your center diff. trying to see if you have power to the front wheels.

Or just 1 front, which makes for a remarkably quick "sidewayz" maneuver.

FWIW, From what I read somewhere I believe automatics are 45/65 to give them a rwd performance feel. I don't if that's completely true but on ice my tail pops out like rwd when I take a turn. But I do know my awd works fine since its been driving in the air while on a lift.

This is not true, as 45+65 = 110.

Buy some snow tires.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk 2.

Sold: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #104 of 500

Are you stepping lightly and gently on the gas pedal?

Rear-end does slide because no weight is back there like the front plus the weight of the driver

Wheel never spins unless its stuck or has no traction, so I guess the rear wheels are spinning right? No traction(summer tires) and no weight back there

All awd cars rear-end slides first whether that's being stuck, cornering or just making a simple turn other than that its great

I'm guessing you're not aware that summer tires are deadly on snow. Not exaggerating at all...WTF are you doing with summer tires on in November in ALASKA???

No one expects the snow tires to come in anywhere but 1st place on this wintry surface at AET. The point here is to see how big their advantage really is over all-season and summer tires.

It takes 11.7 seconds for our Civic Si to accelerate to 40 mph on snow tires, and 14.5 seconds to get there on all-season rubber — nearly 3 seconds and 24 percent slower. As for the summer tires, well, they require, ahem, 41.7 seconds as they struggle to 40 mph. That's no typo; it takes a half-minute longer — 257 percent more time — for the summer tires to reach this modest speed.

What about our traditional 0-60-mph test? Well, snow tires get to 60 mph in 19.1 seconds, while the all-season treads arrive in 22.9 seconds, nearly 4 seconds later. Forget the summer tires, however. The available 3,650 feet of snow — seven-tenths of a mile — isn't enough. We figure 67 seconds and 3,100 feet are needed to get there, and then there's the small matter of needing to stop again.

And that brings us to our next test: full stops with ABS engaged. Here again the snow tires dominate, stopping from 40 mph in 156 feet, some 28 feet shorter than the all-season tires' 184-foot performance. Meanwhile, our summer tires skate to an ultimate distance of 351 feet, the ABS actuator rattling for all it's worth the whole way.

Increase the starting speed to 60 mph and these distances more than double. It takes 362 feet for the snow tires to stop and 421 feet for the all-season donuts. The summer tires sit this one out because they can't manage to get themselves to 60 mph in the first place. (We do the math instead and come up with an estimate north of 800 feet.)

Skid pad results follow the same now-predictable pattern. Our snow tires pull 0.30 lateral g, the all-seasons manage 0.28g and the summer tires produce a pitiful 0.15g despite a heroic effort by our shivering hot shoe.

There's (probably) nothing wrong with your car. What you're trying to do is like trying to play football in the rain wearing dress slacks.

I'm guessing you're not aware that summer tires are deadly on snow. Not exaggerating at all...WTF are you doing with summer tires on in November in ALASKA???

There's (probably) nothing wrong with your car. What you're trying to do is like trying to play football in the rain wearing dress slacks.

Came on the car when i bought them, pretty much brand new. Not going to put out 1100 dollars for tires for a winter. I know that summer tires are awful on ice. Guess its in the garge going to take everything off and inspect and make sure everything is clean.

Archived