LegacyGT.com

DIY Side splitter / skirts

New member here, just bought my 05 Legacy (badged Liberty here in Australia) last week. Love it, only has 50kms

Hey, been looking around for a definitive post on repurposing other models side splitters / skirts. Yeah I'm into the DIY thing, glutton for punishment

I appreciate one of the other members is working on a FRP side skirt, which is great, but not for me. PU is my choice

I noticed a few other guys rocking side skirts (ej25_TS), but haven't seen any write ups. I reckon they are mostly cut PU skirts from previous cars / models.

Here are some of the ones I found online that look like they are in the 73-75" range of the Legacy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-JDM-POLY-URETHANE-PU-SIDE-SKIRTS-ROCKERS-FLAT-EXTENSION-75-x-3-5-/221121909428?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337be492b4&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-11-12-MAZDA3-MS-BOTTOM-LINE-Style-Side-Skirts-Extension-Lip-Urethane-PU-/151101396398

And of course, we could always import this pair for $1000... :spin:

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_detail.php?submit.x=36&submit.y=4&NUMBER=00027905&VOLUME=031-043-004&DEALER=1&CAR=141&MIDDLE=2&SMALL=11&MAKER=29&VOLKEY=&SEARCH_DEALER=1&SEARCH_CAR=141&SEARCH_MIDDLE=2&SEARCH_SMALL=11&SEARCH_MAKER=&SEARCH_VOLKEY=&SEARCH_page=

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=24906

Thanks guys, looking forward to learning more about the Legacy

• 5 weeks later...
52,355 km on the odo today. I bought it off orig owner who babied it to the train station and back most days. Just talk to your mechanic, they'll bump into old folks who buy new cars and then use them just to get groceries. My mothers 2000 accord has 33k US miles on it.

And back on topic, I have learned that 240sx side skirts should fit the 4GEN. Some foks abe alresdy done this. I have not tested it out. There's other PU ones on eBay meant to fit the Evo / Lancer and they have a very flush face to mount on which suits our side panels. I asked the seller and they measure 74" which is pretty close. Need to double check the height before pulling the trigger and buying ...

it is an outback. However, diff between outback (body wise) & lgt is the flared body kit that bolts/sticks on.

There is another build on here (crazymonk-8) who use 240sx flares to add flares to a LGT sedan. Ended up looking pretty good. So maybe other pieces fit well.

I mentioned Dustin's build as you said you wanted to build your own splitter. He has done something like that, as well as working on side skirts & rear deflector.

Side skirts will be ineffective unless you can keep air from coming under the car from the front. In essence,you are trying to force as much air around the car as you can (if you intend for it to useful, if bling, then it doesn't matter). Ideally, you'd use a flexible rubber solution (conveyor belting is pretty durable solution if you can find it) so you can navigate curbs and driveways.

The splitter will need to come out quite a ways to force air above and around (you'll need supports to the front of it and mostly likely a structure behind the bumper to keep the downforce from bending your mounting brackets).

Look for the aero thread, too. Some more discussion there.

Yah I've read through both of those build threads, I'm not doing it for any sort of aero gains just for the "look" In my opinion the subtle side step type skirt pictured above really looks good on our cars. Especially if combined with some sort of front lip.

• 3 months later...
I know there is a thread someone that I just read about making the mazda 3 ones work, although they said this required a good amount of trimming but they look good on the car. I'm still debating on pulling the trigger currently have garage door lip as side skirts and to me it doesn't look all that bad. Just need to find a way to paint it since i think its fading alittle.

Not sure how to link you to it but the post is on page 579 on the low legacy thread.

Basicaly he said you had to dremel away a bunch of the raised areas to make them mount flush. Also said the evo skirts probably would have fit alot better

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Ive read the maza 3 ones are 73mm. Ours are 75mm so it is a tad bit short but not noticeable. (The first ebay link you sent)

I like AWFilms

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4745897&postcount=8770

I havent messaged him yet asking about it but I want to say a vendor is selling them for over $200

Anyone else have cheaper options?

I was also looking at these for the impreza for 99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380543339581?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

and these for a lexus for 145

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-IS250-350-2006-2013-BOTTOM-LINE-UNDER-LINE-POLY-URETHANE-SIDE-SKIRTS-PU-BK-/281247025102?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus&hash=item417ba107ce&vxp=mtr

But I am trying to spend under $100 so anyone else have any luck?

• 2 weeks later...

Yah it seems to be the mazda ones are cheaper but more work where as evo ones are less work but also more expensive.

If you want a super cheap alternative for now there's always garage door seal.

That's what I'm currently using and it looks a lot better then I thought only issue is I think the color is fading so I need to figuer out what to paint it with.

Just a though for you if your like me and not sure if you wanna cough up that much for something that might not fit properly.

Yah it seems to be the mazda ones are cheaper but more work where as evo ones are less work but also more expensive.

If you want a super cheap alternative for now there's always garage door seal.

That's what I'm currently using and it looks a lot better then I thought only issue is I think the color is fading so I need to figuer out what to paint it with.

Just a though for you if your like me and not sure if you wanna cough up that much for something that might not fit properly.

Pics?

• 4 years later...
The intervening 4 years with no update wasn't a clue?

Sometimes people get busy and do things without informing the forums. It's like having a crush on the cute girl at school. If you never ask the question, it's already a no, so you may as well take a chance and ask anyways.

Check out maximumdownforcecustoms.com, I just found out about them on instagram and they have a lot pictures of their skirts on 4th gen legacys and they appear to fit pretty well. For $100 shipped, I'm definitely going to get a set pretty soon.

Archived