LegacyGT.com

Do I need to tune?

kraziedomo

Sorry in advance if this was covered somewhere else I searched first and found nothing. Second apology is cause im a newbie....:)

Just picked up a 06 LGT 5 speed. Ordered a k&n typhoon short ram intake for mainly the sound. My old car was never tuned but I read on here that I should get it professionlly tuned before and after I install the intake. Is this necessary? Im not a big racer or anything, just love mashing it on the freeway here and there.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. Lovin this car though, just dont wanna mess it up

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't spend the money on a tune personally for just that. Instead, I'd do a little research, buy a vag com cable for $15, download a mickeyd stage 1 base map and find someone who can give you the maf scaling for the k&n intake and copy it to your rom. If you're uncomfortable with all that, ask locally for help or just get pay for the tune.

Welcome to the forums. If you click on my signature and scroll down to the tuning faq it will probably answer a decent amount of your questions. Nice to have another local on the boards.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

So it seems most say an intake won't give you any gains unless running a larger turbo where it might start becoming a restriction.

How is this true if putting an intake on leans the afr? In most cases when things get leaned out from a breather mod that is because the mod free'd up a restriction and needs more fuel for the added power no?

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

running lean is a bad way to make power, and you can make power this way

what if the computer doesnt compensate for the added air or doesnt compensate enough? which is the 'problem' with our cars. running lean can cause knock and predetonation which means new engine time

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Well I know that haha but usually if a mod causes you to run lean that means more airflow or less restriction etc. tuning to add fuel will usually give an increase in power compared to stock.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

The reason it leans out is because the maf sensor is calibrated to sample the specific amount of air passing by it.

Once you change the diameter of the tube the velocity/flow/ and volume can change thus causing the maf to read lower voltage even though the same amount of air is in the intake track. Lower voltage on a stock calibrated maf will cause less fuel to be injected. This is a simplified explanation but should work.

Make sense?

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Yeah it does. Thanks! I know with my other car any time I make an increase of airflow or less resistance it does lean out a little since it is now making more power. Of course I get it re tuned to add a little fuel.

No plans for an intake since I don't really want the added sound anyways.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Archived