LegacyGT.com

What do you guys do with stock parts when you upgrade?

Last fall I got a FMIC, a bigger turbo, and some ancillary supporting upgrades. Now I've got a box of stuff taking up space in my garage. Is there a market for stock used components like the TMIC and turbo/fuel pump/injectors/etc?

not a big Subaru guy yet, but I'm "assuming" it's the same everywhere.

Stock parts really have no value except when you want to return your car back to stock or someone who has no intentions of modding that system just needs something replaced. In other words, rare but an abundance of stock parts on the market keeps the prices down. Also, sometimes people would rather pay a bit extra and get new parts than pay someones outrageous asking price for stock take off parts.

For example, myself. When I bought the 2.5i, I looked into mate putting on a GT catback exhaust just for the dual tips. However, the prices people are asking for a stock GT system is ridiculous, so I just decided I didn't need it. When I used to mod my Camaro/Firebird, I'd just post up saying "come get this stock shit and bring me a beer" an plenty of people on the forums did that ... I quickly noticed its quite different here in import world.

Sounds to me like That Car Guy 2-1 is basing his experience on his 5th Gen and American muscle. If he was looking for a GT exhaust for a 4thG 2.5i he could have had his pick under $100. It really depends on the model and part.

My LGT? I don't keep anything I can get money for. Everything has been upgraded. I'm can't waste space keeping everything and it is easy enough to get someone to swap their oem part with you as part of a f/s thread (particularly in my case where the LGT is not a DD and I can charge a "core" fee till I get the oem part). That used vf40/46 is likely worth more now while the popularity of the 4thG is still at a high. It is also possible I will set my LGT "all-in" when the time comes.

Our OBXT? I keep EVERYTHING. There is no chance it will get sold with any mods except the KillerB oil pickup, which I consider a smart mod for bone stock LGT/OBXT. Even the upgraded oil line will get sold.

Exactly what I said, my experience in the Subaru world has thus far been much different to my previous experience in the domestic muscle car world.

GT exhausts must have come down in price since early last year, cos when I looked, people were asking 250-300 which I could've just added a bit more and got an aftermarket kit. Didn't wanna spend that much on a stock GT setup and didn't wanna go aftermarket, so I gave it up. Had the price been like $100 like now, you're damn right I would've jumped on it lol. Now my plan is to design some kind of hidden hitch behind the opening to mount an offset bike rack that can be hidden when not needed.

Kept them. For this very reason, my cars at the dealer right now. Trying to get them to replace my motor under warranty lol

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I am always a fan of keeping stock stuff. If you try to sell a car that's all modded up you're just narrowing your pool of perspective owners. If a 40 year old guy is looking for a LGT, unless he's hitting a midlife crisis, he's probably not going to want cleared headlights with eyelids, a fancy deck etc he's going to want a nice stock car (or maybe just stock appearing?). But someone looking for a car like that will love it, although they also wouldn't mind a stock car that they could mod out themselves. So I guess in short, if you care about resale, keep 'em.

Kept them. For this very reason, my cars at the dealer right now. Trying to get them to replace my motor under warranty lol

So what you are saying is that you modded your car, blew your motor and are now trying to blame Subaru and make life harder for the rest of us to get warranty work?

Is that right?

So what you are saying is that you modded your car, blew your motor and are now trying to blame Subaru and make life harder for the rest of us to get warranty work?

Is that right?

Nope. Stage 2 car, tuned by Imfamous for xx,xxx miles. Started burning more oil then normal so since I'm still in my warranty range I decided to go back to stock and drop the car off at the dealer. Other then burning oil the car ran good, pulled strong and everything. (I'm leaning towards ringlands personally)

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Personally, I'm a hoarder with car stuff. I keep every stock part that comes off of the car, regardless of how much space it takes up. (My place would probably be the coolest episode of hoarders ever lol) Unless of course, it's something that's junked. I'm also a very spontaneous person and who knows when I will decide to buy a new car, so I'd rather have the option to put everything back on the car. There's more value in selling used parts later to another subaru owner vs. stock parts, plus if you trade a car, every dealer knocks the trade price down if the car isn't stock. No dealer gives a shit about all of the mods we do to our cars. On the contrary, a lot of people sell their stock parts to pay for other mods, hence why you always see people looking for stock parts to buy or trade.. Either way, I hoard.

Great question OP. Before I went stage 2 there was a guy from Pennsylvania on here that was buying up factory downpipes for $100 (to get the precious metals in the cat ). Now that I have one taking up room in my garage......he's no where to be found !

Anyone know where he is ?

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

^^ I remember that guy. i almost sold him my DP! I have no idea where he is.

Essentially, i have kept everything to go back to stage 0 ish. If i needed to sell my car tomorrow, and i had a hard time selling her the way she is, i would have the option to take her back to stock engine wise, which would make her a bit a more marketable.

The CBE is a bit different, as its an spt, so i guess i dont even really need the stock exhaust laying around. should probably sell that and get it out of my garage!

I would let it go with the suspension work i did, so i sold my oem sways and endlinks. I dont see that as something that would be a deal breaker (sways and endlinks).

Keep them. You'll be thankful you did some day.

If that day never comes, throw them away, but not day sooner.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The CBE is a bit different, as its an spt, so i guess i dont even really need the stock exhaust laying around. should probably sell that and get it out of my garage!

Trust me you don't want that crappy SPT. Let me dispose of it for you :)

• Moderators
Great question OP. Before I went stage 2 there was a guy from Pennsylvania on here that was buying up factory downpipes for $100 (to get the precious metals in the cat ). Now that I have one taking up room in my garage......he's no where to be found !

Anyone know where he is ?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2156275

That guy will give $120 for sti/wrx cats...probably lgt cats too.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Mega Users

stock parts aren't worth much alone + stock parts on a car are worth more = better value selling a stock vehicle and individually selling mods

y = mx + b right?

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

For example, myself. When I bought the 2.5i, I looked into mate putting on a GT catback exhaust just for the dual tips. However, the prices people are asking for a stock GT system is ridiculous, so I just decided I didn't need it. When I used to mod my Camaro/Firebird, I'd just post up saying "come get this stock shit and bring me a beer" an plenty of people on the forums did that ... I quickly noticed its quite different here in import world.

Not the import world, the LGT/Subaru world... back when I had a DSM people pretty much gave their stock parts out for free... you could get a perfect 14b turbo for $50... Nowadays people want $200 for a blown vf40....

Sometimes stock injectors and the like are of value to the Honda world, not sure about the specific LGT ones...

Archived