LegacyGT.com

January Snow!

BAC5.2

Woah!

How'd you guys fare?

I decided to go explore some unplowed parts of my neighborhood and figure out why I keep seeing Mercedes and BMW's getting stuck, despite the very small grade.

Pulled down that spot, got to the cul-de-sac to be greeted by a Hyundai that was stuck. Did a 3-point-turn, and then had to work for a bit to get myself out. I-mode, TCS off, and a little bit of luck got me out no worse for wear.

Other than that, my commute was uneventful. The ice on the road made for one bumpy as hell ride on surface streets, but the highways were alright.

It looked like a zombie movie, driving down an empty highway as abandoned cars littered the sides of the street.

It took a friend of mine 9.5 hours to get home from work yesterday, and another took more than 6... and he had to go to the bathroom the whole time.

Any good stories?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Good one.

There is a little hill that heads towards a round-a-bout in my neighborhood. One of my favorite winter events is seeing people try to cut off Georgia Ave traffic by coming through the neighborhood when it's snowing. They are unfamiliar with the road, or just plane dumb, but all the time I'll see people plow straight into the concrete curb of the round-a-bout. Or they'll play Colin McRae and end up carrying too much speed around the circle and clip the outside curb.

Last winter, during snowmageddon, I saw an H1 driver think he was awesome. He slowed appropriately for the entrance of the loop, then gave it too much coming around and understeered straight into the concrete curb. No big deal, he just kept going over the curb, over the corner, and back onto the street without skipping a beat. Through 18 inches of unplowed, thick, snow. It actually was kind of awesome.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm north and west of Baltimore. I left the office at about 4:30 pm last night, it had been snowing for about 15 minutes… Every route I tried to take home was blocked with stuck cars, many times several wide (hey just because he’s stuck doesn’t mean I can’t go around him… Oh I guess I can’t). I actually made it to within 2 miles of my home by 6 pm, but I didn’t make it home until just before 9 pm. There were stuck and abandoned vehicles at every turn. Stuck fire engines, ambulances, plows. It was insane, and so frustrating cause obviously the Outback wasn't having any trouble, but its not able to leap roads jammed with stuck and abandoned cars..

It was coming down Hard and Fast, we got about 14" between 5pm and 9pm..

Why is it there is no common sense in this world? If your not equipped to drive in this kind of weather, don’t, I don’t know what people were thinking…

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

1371674987_LeavingWork.thumb.jpg.55dcdb7dccfe13c5264b87ab5c9247e3.jpg

249534580_FirstRoadBlock.thumb.jpg.074a4474c719bac13fa2a3201ef405e2.jpg

1667164680_AnotherRoadBlock.thumb.jpg.b041917a601cd6f171c6057cfd5b14a7.jpg

IMG01135-20110126-1824.thumb.jpg.4a3f5b6f08af6ffbeabc0145f88f3058.jpg

IMG01133-20110126-1710.thumb.jpg.a3c02c7052a7c5c8c3b959872f094bca.jpg

I had to turn around and take another route three times this morning because the roads are still blocked with abandoned vehicles, and people trying to get them out..

Notice the number of cars stuck trying to come up the wrong side of the road, after the right direction was blocked.

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

215765430_MorningCommute1.thumb.jpg.0b689a9010bf5d6e645daf87b74db9c6.jpg

195540366_MorningCommute2.thumb.jpg.f47dc62c84786bfc28c7984af9dd47a9.jpg

1649629389_MorningCommute3.thumb.jpg.258bdca3271963260064e71a52465b71.jpg

I stayed at home and laughed at everyone's misfortunes. /story

We got around 15 inches here in NE Md Wed.Like RuskiBear I stayed put ;)

I, too, took pleasure in sitting on my couch and watching the news, seeing all the idiots stuck everywhere. :cool:

No trouble getting home yesterday, no trouble getting to work this morning. 4x4 FTW.

It was a hell of a drive. 29N, closed. 29S, closed. Had to go through Cherry Lane (down 198 from 95), then Van Dusen, gave a cop a ride since his car was stuck in a ditch, got to 29S from Greencastle, saw the salt trucks coming, I gunned it, beat the salt trucks, made a gorgeous power slide, traction sensor lights blinking like crazy, car regained control, finally made it home.

Thankfully the road on 29S (near my home) was clear of cars or else I would have totaled my baby. But it was fun driving down 29 to get home. There was a nice snow tunnel effect on my car while driving. I wish someone was recording it since it looked like something out of a rally race.

But what I saw on 95 was horrendous. SUVs spinning out, honda civics (newer ones) gunning it down the road and one plowing right into the tree. The dipshit even backed out, gunned it again and plowed into someone's rear bumper.

Maryland is just complete madness and insanity.

29N was closed? For you maybe! It was WWWWIIIIDDDDEEE open for me this morning!

I charged my HDHero with the waterproof case this morning. If there's a vacant parking lot, I'm ready for POV video!

Heres my story.

I had arranged to meet someone to buy my car. It took me about 1.5 hours to get out of the parking garage. So I had him meet me while I was in line to get out of our lot and finish the deal there. Then I got a ride from my boss who was stuck 2 cars behind my car, trying to get out of our parking lot. We spent the next 6.5 hours getting from Mclean to Reston. He had to get to Ashburn so I had him drop me off and I walked the rest of the way (about 3 miles). I got home at 1 am after leaving work at 3:30.

We probably got close to 12 inches where I live. I was out for most the of the snow fall and people where out getting stuck every where. I got stuck twice but got out, only really got stuck cause the car is kind of stupid low for the winter and got high centered.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I hung around at work until 11 or so last night watching the news and surfing the internet, drove the 6 miles to my house in about 40 minutes while playing slalom down 28 with all the abandoned cars. This morning and evening was a pretty quick and easy drive to and from work. :)

• I Donated
I'm north and west of Baltimore.

Where? I'm in Owings Mills. I stayed home from work yesterday (working at a school FTW -- if they think the buses might have trouble, they cancel school, and it's a private school, so they have routes stretching from past Westminster, to Columbia, to Annapolis, to Hunt Valley, and everywhere in between), but I had to help a neighbor get unstuck and into his garage around 8pm, and he said it took him 1.5 hours to go 3 miles from the offramp from I-795 to Owings Mills Blvd, to our street. I went out briefly today, and only about 1/3 of the roads had been plowed and there were still abandoned cars scattered around even on plowed routes.

I just yanked a Prius out of the snow.

TheFultonHow, I work in Hunt Valley!

I am a grad student at UMBC, left school at 3:15 and apparently just missed all the muck yesterday.

EL5Y - did you sell the car!?

29N was closed? For you maybe! It was WWWWIIIIDDDDEEE open for me this morning!

I charged my HDHero with the waterproof case this morning. If there's a vacant parking lot, I'm ready for POV video!

Evening mate, evening... :lol:

I just realized that the first and second pictures in '05 Outback 2.5i's day-after pics were a mile from my house. :lol: And the third one was less than a block from my work. :lol:

I was going to say, you should recognize the areas in my photos, they are all from Owings Mills. It took me 3.5 hours to go from the Intersection of Winands and McDonogh to Lyons Mill Rd. and Runnymead Rd..

The Third and fourth photos in my first post are coming up Painters Mill from McDonogh.. (T-Row employee?)

The entire area was like a parking lot, and it was only after 3 hours of scooting through little openings made by people pushing other cars a few feet here or there that I eventually made it through..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

The stuff supposed to hit today turned out to be a major bust, huh?

Archived