1. 1. Vortekz roof Vortex Generators

• Rice- They dont work
    • Rice - They work
    • Not Rice - dont know if they work
    • Not Rice - they work
    • Would look nice on our Legacies, working or not
    • you're better off with a flamesuit

http://www.vortekz.com/generators.htm

so winter is approaching and winter air=more dense, and ive been looking at these and was wondering if anyone knows anyone or has these installed before? for 20bucks i might pick up a set (i dont think they'd look too ricey on the car...) i might just put them on for the positive effects, ricey or not, they work at highway speeds and/or lower speeds in denser air <--- proven

if its stupid but it works, its not stupid.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at their incredibly scientific diagram they seem to have incorrectly labeled "turbulence" and the low speed/pressure airmasses as general "drag" - drag isn't just some vague area behind a moving surface. Turbulence can certainly affect drag, but their drag-cam isn't really proving anything other than it creates a less smooth flow of air coming off the back of the car. Don't see how that will impact performance positively in ANY way.

Pointless rice imo.

the incredibly scientific diagram is from this:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

trying to balance rice vs practicality... like aerodynamic ground effects

windtunnel testing:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121877&highlight=windtunnel+test

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRLI9gy1AO4]YouTube - Nissan Sport Magazine Windtunnel test #15[/ame]

time for bed,,,,

This "technical paper" is obviously written by Mitsu to justify using the vortex generators on the Evo MR. The main argument that vortex generator can help delay the boundary layer separation is true and is used in the aircraft industry as they stated. But one important factor they failed to mention is what Reynold's number (which in term can be translates to speed) they were running these wind tunnel testing and CFD at. For all we know the study is done at equivalent of 150 mph. If the Cd is only reduced by 0.006 at 150 mph and is not reduced or is actually increased everywhere else than the vortex generator is useless. They need to present the data from say 10 - 160 mph in order to make a convincing argument. From what I read this is a marketing tool for the Evo MR not a very useful scientific paper.

BTW, since this paper is based on an empirical study of a particular vehicle shape, it's result cannot be blindly apply to other vehicle and expect to get the same result. A wind tunnel and CFD study is the only way to know where, how many, what size or shape vortex generators might or might not work for the LGT. The one place where I think the vortex generator might have some benefit is on the side mirrors. Those things are pretty much a blunt body in the air stream. I don't think the vortex generators will reduce Cd by any significant amount but they can probably help reduce wind noise.

Anyway, the short answer is don't do it. :lol:

Show me concrete evidence on our cars that they would make a significant difference in mileage or performance. I highly doubt it.

i think id be the first to do this, so i'd actually be the only one with any data (quantized or not). so unfortunately id have nothing to show you, but i'm not aiming for significant difference in mileage or performance. just a little increase works fine for me. like i said before, aerodynamic ground effects dont produce significant mileage/performance differences, just a little, but people still use them. but if these end up clearing the problem we have with water not being removed from the center of our back windshields at 50+ mph, $20 would be worth it for me

chenc544: hey thanks for your input/explanation . the other site with the nissan Z cars does have wind tunnel testing and there were some positive effects measured, especially with reducing lift at the rear (which is somewhat sloped more similar to ours, more so than the EVO). and yea little things like reduced wind noise, clearing of the back windshield, reduced dust accumulation on our long rear bumper is what i'm really aiming for, not 100LB of lift reduction or +10mi/gal or +11eleventybillion HP; and if it doesn't, i'll just do less snow donuts this winter to offset the $20

Actually, ionized magnets work well. These, combined with Turbonator technology and a good cleaning of the engine with fiber will not only gain HP, but will get rid of poisonous deposits in the CAT. You could lighten your car by as much as 10-15% if your can expel all the carbon lurking in your exhaust pipes(colon)

It has also been proved, that a good tuner who uses acupuncture on both the turbo AND (this is what separates us from the rest) the chip can increase HP.

Praying helps too!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Wow, talk about plagiarism. Bad enough to use someone's data, but to actually use pictures from someone else's paper. If Mitsubishi finds out, they could be in for a big copyright lawsuit.

The point of the vortex generators on the Evo is to control the airflow going to the rear wing. The same thing occurs with the bar that goes across the back of the Impreza STi. The shape and location are results from CFD analysis and wind tunnel verification. Without having a rear wing, there's really no point to put vortex generators unless you want to decrease your fuel mileage by generating extra drag.

Most of these small companies making aero stuff don't employ aeronautical engineers nor do they have access to a wind tunnel. Renting small scale wind tunnels can run over $10,000 per hour. That's not something small companies can afford considering wind tunnel testing usually take weeks.

^ And no more annoying mirror-whistle, too!!! :D

:lol:

But back on-topic - I do like the porcupine look, but I honestly also don't think that this would help our car (or likely hurt, either) in a real-world sense. I'm sure that much, much more detailed aerodynamic studies need to be done to insure that such an item actually does work...as did the OEM Mitsu/Scooby duo did, in conjunction with their rather outlandish rear wing combos. I'm in total agreement with brother Scotty on this one!

I wonder if brother praedet can chime-in on this one, and lend us his professional eye. :)

Heck, maybe I'll get a set for my Talon - that would be more in-line with that car's overall aesthetics. Not for the Leggy, though.

How much are these stick-ons, anyway?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived