LegacyGT.com

Someone pls talk me out of selling my OBXT

Mornin' all-

I haven't posted here in a while, but I have been lurking! :D Nice to see some of the orig members, like Fast Sly and ccompany are still around. Anyway, I'm finding myself in a quandry over my '05 OBXT-5MT and am thinking whether or not it makes sense to sell it and move on to something else.

I bought this car in Aug of '04 and have 35k on the clock; it's been a great "do-everything-fairly-well" car, but I can't say it really excels in any one area--and it does have some problem areas design-wise. These are the ones which bug me:

It's got great power, but feels pretty damn scary at higher speeds, and also in corners at ANY speed. Heck, it's pretty unstable even at highway speeds for that matter. So, I need to upgrade the rear sway bar and sure--for another grand (+ installation) I know that I can get coil-overs, too. Maybe that'll make the car tolerable to drive....cha-ching!

Also, it's very capable in the snow (especially with my studded snows!), but with the 50/50 torque split working the way it does on the MT models, on slippery surfaces, it does tend to corner a lot like a truck does while in 4x4 mode--likes to go straight! I've always wondered how the AT models with VTD handled in the snow--maybe I made a mistake getting a MT.

Speaking of the MT, after 35k miles of driving it, I've also come to my own realization that the clutch's action really does suck; like many others here have said, it's like a light switch--on or off, with no progressive grab between the two. And I just love the clutch stank, too. Maybe a new STi clutch assembly would fix this? I don't know.

The "automatic" (ha ha) climate control is awful, and I can't seem to get better than 21-22 MPG on the highway no matter what I do (even with a light throttle foot), which is actually worse than my 7-Series.

Aside from all that, I guess it's a pretty decent little car. It's just got some disappointing areas which may be correctable; I'm just not sure I want to get into modding--especially on a car I still owe $10k on.

Didn't mean for this to turn into a rant, but at 35k I need to decide what to do with it; maybe buy an extended warranty try to sell it and pay off the note, or maybe just keep it, pay it off, and suck-it-up over all the the little annoyances.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks for the bandwidth everyone. Hope you're all doing well as we get ready for Winter...

Cheers,

Tim G.

'05 OBXT-5MT

I can see how these little annoyances add up, but try to think of it from the perspective of "what would you replace it with?" and then read that car's forums and say "wow, that would suck even more" and be happy with your Subie. :)

I have an OB-XT 5MT and, while agreeing with many of your observations, just can't think of anything else I'd rather have (or could afford).

You might want to try the JDM rear sway bar mod--very inexpensive, relatively easy to DIY, and easily un-done if you don't like it. Many people have reported great satisfaction with that improvement.

I know someone who will be selling custom made ZEAL coilovers for the OBXT very shortly. I've driven the car and it eliminates all the handling woes you hate, while maintaining the stock ride height.

Climate control......switch the damn a/c compressor off at all costs. that is 1-2 mpg minimum. I don't know what all the fuss is with the system. Mine works perfect, very intuitive....never blows ice cold air at the windshield in summer to make it fog on the outside....in manual mode, it still will vary fan speed according to target temp and actual.

Consumer reports ( I know, they have no buisness testing cars) gives it a best pick because it does everything so well.

I think you would be spending more $$$ trading than doing a little suspension work.

Yes the clutch stinks, but I am used to mine now. It needs a little more slip and gas to get going.

Good luck,

Paul

Yeah, I like the ACC, works fine for me. All I do, just override the fan so it's not too loud and then it works perfect.

Too bad you didn't buy LGT wagon - it's 1000 better in handling department than OB even on stock suspension.

It's really ironic you see all those OB owners unhappy with handling that could have helped sales of LGT MT wagon. Now LGT MT wagon is gone, and possibly LGT wagon entirely will be gone. Stupid, stupid SOA. And stupid OB buyers.

Trade it for gently used 05 LGT MT wagon or get some better suspension.

I know someone who will be selling custom made ZEAL coilovers for the OBXT very shortly. I've driven the car and it eliminates all the handling woes you hate, while maintaining the stock ride height.

Please be sure to post to this thread when this becomes official. Will the sway bar be necessary with these custom coilovers?

will do. I don't think a swaybar is absolutely needed, but he'll have some for sale as well. In fact, I'd think on an OBXT, you'd want to leave small swaybars and run somewhat stiffer springs...allows for more suspension articulation if you do any actual offroad travelling.

It's really ironic you see all those OB owners unhappy with handling that could have helped sales of LGT MT wagon. Now LGT MT wagon is gone, and possibly LGT wagon entirely will be gone. Stupid, stupid SOA. And stupid OB buyers.

Trade it for gently used 05 LGT MT wagon or get some better suspension.

I did my best to buy a '05 wagon MT, but had no luck, so i dont see how its MY fault. Stupid SOA, NOT stupid OB buyers :lol:

i do love my outback, not a fan of the handling. I am hoping coilovers solve my problem, i dont really need 8.7" of clearance.

the real question is what are you going to replace it with?

Should have bought an LGT wagon!!!! :icon_mad:

and driven around in the '06 slushbox? no thanks, i'd rather wait for the coilovers.

Should have looked for 05. I know, stupid SOA to blame. Can you please go http://www.subaru.com and submit your comment, that you would take LGT wagon over OBXT if it came with MT?

Go drive a car (other than your 7 series). Call me crazy, but the OBXT has better handling, especially in corners, than 90% of the passenger cars on the road. I only drive it to work a couple of days a month, but I have a blast drivng the OBXT on the twisties. The first 7 miles of my commute are on a twisty, narrow river road, and they are pure fun in the OBXT. Better tires make a huge difference, and I'd rather keep the ride height and non-kidney-crushing suspension on our designated ski car.

If you don't care about the ground clearance, you can significantly improve the handling with coilovers. A few members here have done so with good results. Friends of mine who have performance cars (classic Porsche, '99 M3, '03 Mustang Cobra) have driven the OBXT and the response has always been some variation of "Wow!" or "Holy &^*&!". A lot of that is due to the unexpected performance for a wagon, but some is just plain performance.

A good cure for your ills would be to run down to your local Dodge dealer and test drive a Magnum RT. Which is a good car. It's just not a OBXT. When you get done, you'll want to give your OBXT a spa day!

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Go drive a car (other than your 7 series). Call me crazy, but the OBXT has better handling, especially in corners, than 90% of the passenger cars on the road. I only drive it to work a couple of days a month, but I have a blast drivng the OBXT on the twisties. The first 7 miles of my commute are on a twisty, narrow river road, and they are pure fun in the OBXT. Better tires make a huge difference, and I'd rather keep the ride height and non-kidney-crushing suspension on our designated ski car.

If you don't care about the ground clearance, you can significantly improve the handling with coilovers. A few members here have done so with good results. Friends of mine who have performance cars (classic Porsche, '99 M3, '03 Mustang Cobra) have driven the OBXT and the response has always been some variation of "Wow!" or "Holy &^*&!". A lot of that is due to the unexpected performance for a wagon, but some is just plain performance.

A good cure for your ills would be to run down to your local Dodge dealer and test drive a Magnum RT. Which is a good car. It's just not a OBXT. When you get done, you'll want to give your OBXT a spa day!

Thanks for chiming-in Duke and gang-

I think you've all "collectively" hit the nail on the head; it really is a great car overall, there's just a few "driveability" areas which could stand some improvement. If I didn't still owe $10k on it, I guess I wouldn't have thought twice about doing the mods. Let's face it--mods are fun.

Another great point was "what do I replace it with?". The answer right now would be "I have no idea".

Actually I did intentionally buy the OB for the add'l ground clearance (we actually do get some crazy snow in Western NJ on occasion, and also travel to New England to go skiing), but did prefer the handling of the LGT sedan I had orig planned on buying. I don't mind a slightly softer suspension, so if coil-overs will clean up the handling a little (even if I lose some clearance) and don't cost me a freaking fortune, I'll probably go that route. Who knows, maybe even a swaybar.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your comments. Come to think of it, it is a pretty fast car, isn't it? And pretty sweet looking too? :icon_mrgr

Tim G.

The JDM RSB, -.4 front alignment, and Yoko Advan ST's made a huge difference in the handling of my old OBXT. But the generally sloppy dampening and its proclivity to bottom-out into the rear bumpstops wore on me. I drive the same daily route now in my Cayman, and it does not bottom-out where the OBXT did routinely. Given the greater suspension travel in the OBXT, this should not be the case. Coil-overs have so many issues with NVH and maintenance, I just do not believe they are an option for a car that will never go to the track.

Actually I did intentionally buy the OB for the add'l ground clearance (we actually do get some crazy snow in Western NJ on occasion, and also travel to New England to go skiing), but did prefer the handling of the LGT sedan I had orig planned on buying.

People use strange logic to justify their choices... crazy snow in western NJ?? Whaaat? Even if you get few days every few years of said crazy snow, does it warranty driving on jacked up car on gumball tires year round? Scout mentality - be prepared :lol:

Sorry, I certainly have anti-OB bias, and I know I am not helpful.

1st off you need to at LEAST get a JDM rear sway bar, or better get a Cusco or Cobb. I picked up a used Cobb RSB and it is great!! Install was real easy, anyone can do it. 2nd, replace your OEM tires with something better. I have not done that yet because I am a cheap bastard and I am waiting for them to die. But our tires suck, just a sad fact of life. :(

As for your OBXT not being as nice or work as well as your 7 series. Well, duh!! The BMW is like 3 times more $$$. I don't think there is anything on the market right now that cost the same as a OBXT and has the same features. I vote to keep it.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

As for your OBXT not being as nice or work as well as your 7 series. Well, duh!! The BMW is like 3 times more $$$. I don't think there is anything on the market right now that cost the same as a OBXT and has the same features. I vote to keep it.

Except transmission choice, yes, there is -- LEGACY WAGON.

Archived