LegacyGT.com

07 Outback 2.5XT Horsepower?

With all due respect, I am simply asking for facts. I am not crying about the car going slower. I see you are a mod and would hope that you would share your expertise instead of this kind of reply.

I did search

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search :
less
hp

Also, any other search for less horsepower or horsepower down only returns 10 pages of posts with the word horsepower.

Thanks for the thread. I am still looking for the official word on what metric they were using, in addition to confirmation that this is SAE Certified.

From my understanding, the old SAE hp ratings were being played a little fast and loose by some manufactures to increase the HP ratings on their cars. SAE came out with a new standard for 07' to solve this problem. It is not just Subaru that went down, if you look at other cars, you will see that HP went down from 06' to 07' as well. The STI is now rated at 293 hp, not 300 hp. Hell, some cars increased their HP!! I think some Toyota’s won that battle (Camery??) It all just depended on how the manufacture tested their cars. So now with the new ratings, things are supposed to be a more uniform. I subscribe to Car and Driver and they did an article about this a little while back. The power is not going down; just the measuring system is different.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Be nice to the guy, he drives a very rare and nice car!

Good choice, t0pher, we have twins! (except the year of course)

Lol - thanks!

Funny thing about this being rare - my wife wanted a red wagon with a manual trans, AWD and 200+ HP. So my list was short to start. We knew we were going to get a Subaru and made the decision after driving the A4 (too small) and the V70R ($42K).

So it is August. I figure I'll wait until the 07 comes out and get one of those. I do some research and find out that red is not available in 07. I panic. Monday morning I call 10 dealers to see who can get me the 06 in the combination I wanted. Six of them are not placing orders and don't have any manuals in stock. 2 others did not have the right color. In the end, the 2nd closest dealer to me calls me back and has what I want on the lot. That night we drove it home.

To make it even better - it was the last day of the $2500 rebate!

So it was pretty much meant to be.

Sorry. Updated profile for you :redface:

I said sorry :p

TOO FUNNY!

SAE is the difference. But youll also find that any advertised power numbers for recent turbo'd subies are underrated anyways and are essentially just for marketing purposes.

Real world crank according to numerous dynos (of 2005s at least) is likely more in the 260hp, 270 trq range. (205whp, 220wtrq)

Meh, 243HP and 293HP don't work all that well for marketing purposes, hehe. Japanese cars have always been known to be weak in their ratings. More pony than horse, unlike the domestics which usually underrate. Germans are usually in-between.

Well it has been proven many times that Subie underrates their engines. Primairly as I understand it so ppl will still be interested in buying the STi! Thats where the marketing comes in ;)

If ppl see that the Legacy and the plain WRX are that close power wise to the STi it makes it harder to swallow the STi premium price tag.

But I agree, those wonky 243, 293 numbers dont help anybody.

How come the H6 is still 250 hp?

The 2005 SAE standard clarified certain procedures to make measurements more uniform. There is a also new category called "SAE Certified" if an independent observer is present.

But these standards are voluntary and the new procedures are only used whe nthe engine is retested after a change. Since the SI-Drive is not being implemented in the US for the H6, the drivetrain remains the same an no retesting was necessary.

According to the guys at TDC, the stock XT has about 25 more wheel horsepower than my H6. I'm retesting it but don't expect it to go above 180 whp, versus around 200 for the XT.

Given that stock Xt's and GT's are doing 1/4 miles in under 15 seconds, I 'd say Subaru continues to under-rate this drivetrain.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived