LegacyGT.com

Some questions...

I realize you guys probably get a lot of the same questions in the Pre-purchase forum, sorry...If you can answer off the top of your head or throw me a link I would appreciate either. I'm just doing the research to make sure I make a good decision on my next car.

Questions

-Stock whp of a LGT

-Highest WHP or breaking points of stock 1) Turbo 2)internals 3)Clutch 4)Manual transmission

-Any red flags I should know about the 07+ cars? (I like the folding rear seats)

-What real world MPG's do you find yourselves getting?

-Any heads up when looking for one I should be aware of?

Right now I'm in a 2002 Lexus IS300 and I think it's time to move on. I like it but it's showing its age. I'm also at a point where I would have to dump a ton of money into it to get any more performance. We have a weak transmission in that car and weak stock internals so that's the reason I'm asking some of these questions. I sort of see the LGT as a half way point between an STI and an IS300. I think this might be a great car for me.

Here is a pic of my IS300....I know you guys love pics :wub:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ItalynStylion/Stock%20IS300/IS300Photos012.jpg

So far i've seen that the stock turbo runs out of steam before 300whp. That seems pretty wimpy. I've also noticed that some people swap for the STI 6speed but the standard practice seems to be swapping out the gears in the stock 5speed.

One thing i didn't find was at what whp level these things break or need replacement.

Any help?

Questions

a. Stock whp of a LGT

b. Highest WHP or breaking points of stock 1) Turbo 2)internals 3)Clutch 4)Manual transmission

c. Any red flags I should know about the 07+ cars? (I like the folding rear seats)

d. What real world MPG's do you find yourselves getting?

e. Any heads up when looking for one I should be aware of?

a. 205whp/220wtrq - stock LGT '08 on Mustang dyno

b. Depending on mods and a type of dyno, stock VF46 will max out between 250whp/290wtrq to 275whp/320wtrq.

Engine internals: safely the car can be pushed to 350 to 400whp. Personally, I would not push pass 350whp. Some pushed it to approx. 500whp (at least STi guys did; LGT has identical engine to STi)

Clutch: Depends on your driving habits... Usually the clutch will hold up until roughly 300whp. Again, some went sooner and vice versa.

Tanny: Have no clue. Obviously, auto is weaker, 5mt is weaker than 6mt. 400whp should not be a problem on MT, actually you can probably go much higher... someone needs to chime here...

c. No real red flags to talk about. Stock tires (RE92s are junk), stereo is hard/expensive to upgrade, sunroof & windows are sloooowww... that's about all i can think of...

d. 19 to 20mpg... the most i got was 26 on a highway... but i am hard on a throttle... a lot of folks here are seeing better numbers...

e. can't think of any LGT specific things to watch out for...

Thanks GT_NKY, that's exactly the info I needed.

350whp is something I plan to shoot for so it doesn't seem like I'll need too much internal work for that. I plan to get a manual anyways, autos are for lazy's ;)

I plan to do an entire audio system overhaul since that is something important to me. I do all my own work and am pretty damn good if I must say so. I noticed that the AC controls are one piece with the radio on some years but not on others. Would I need to get the controls from the earlier years if I plan to change the radio?

350whp is something I plan to shoot for so it doesn't seem like I'll need too much internal work for that. I plan to get a manual anyways, autos are for lazy's ;)

I plan to do an entire audio system overhaul since that is something important to me. I do all my own work and am pretty damn good if I must say so. I noticed that the AC controls are one piece with the radio on some years but not on others. Would I need to get the controls from the earlier years if I plan to change the radio?

audio is going to be an issue... you can either work around by keeping your stock unit and installing an aftermarket unit in cubby hole (place where stock navi goes)... there is a $100 dash kit for that...

if you decide to rip out stock unit though, you are in trouble... you need to re-wire your heating / air controls... there are few companies that do it... they rewire everything and leave you w/ single din or double din opening (as requested)... however they run around $700 (i think)... just search the forum.. i never got into audio...

So basically these guys rewire the climate controls and then just cut out the stock stereo leaving a single din hole? I'll have to read up on it. I'm a stereo buff and it's something I have to have. I compete in sound quality competitions right now with my IS300.

So basically these guys rewire the climate controls and then just cut out the stock stereo leaving a single din hole? I'll have to read up on it. I'm a stereo buff and it's something I have to have. I compete in sound quality competitions right now with my IS300.

yes, good luck

You will have to sink an assload of money into changing the stereo on any 05 and up LGT. I'm talking about spending extra money, on top of what you would normally spend on equipment. As you now know, the HVAC controls are integrated into the head unit somehow. Someone may have hacked it by now though.

So, to get better info from stereo guys like yourself, you need to go search in the "Interior/Audio" forum. They know more about it than the rest of us. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

I already have all the equipment I would put in. I will just have to hope that Highline get's the bezel conversion done by the time I get a LGT. I'm really excited to see how my system would sound in a LGT. I'm going to change a few things up when I move everything over too so it will be a little different.

Archived