LegacyGT.com

Spare Tire Subwoofer Help

CoopMcNasty

Hey guys, I am back in the market for a subwoofer and would like to use a spare tire enclosure for it. My problem is that I can not find a 12" subwoofer that is 6.25 inches depth or under without a vent (needs to breathe to cool down) on the bottom.

I currently have a Rockford Fosgate P5002 from my old cars setup that I would like to use if possible with my new subwoofer to save a little cash. Link here ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-v1YALN2n7Nn/p_575P5002/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P5002.html )

The Alpine Type-R was my clear cut choice until I realized that it had a vent on the bottom. The box size is right around the ideal cubic feet for this sub. Although it is 6 3/8 mounting depth, It would not be a huge issue to have the box be a little taller (1/8 inch)..... But this was before I realized there was a vent on the bottom. :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Without writing a graphic novel over the topic, I guess what I am trying to ask is what you guys are running for subs in your spare tire compartment. I would like to avoid getting into shallow-mount subs, as I have read that they do not preform as well as regular subs and as you probably know, they are more expensive.

Thanks for the help guys

A vent on the bottom, are you talking about needing to use a ported enclosure? If so you can fire the port straight up near the woofer grill ( or any other direction that isn't blocked ) .

He's talking about the pole vent out the bottom of the sub; many subs use one to help cool the voice coils. There is a minimum suggested clearance between that and the box. If you have a shallow box, there might not be enough room for the sub's mounting depth + the pole vent clearance, which can lead to overheating the sub.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

He's talking about the pole vent out the bottom of the sub; many subs use one to help cool the voice coils. There is a minimum suggested clearance between that and the box. If you have a shallow box, there might not be enough room for the sub's mounting depth + the pole vent clearance, which can lead to overheating the sub.

Exactly what I meant. I found the Sundown D2 12" which is only 5.25in mounting depth and has no pole vent which is great. There are not many reviews on them online so I will be digging into that next. The only issue is that the Cu/ft recommendation is 1cu/ft, which may be a little bit of a stretch for the spare tire box.

Where is your spare going to go?

Into the garage like I've done -- as a screw holding my amp in place punctured the sidewall and made the tire obsolete. I carry a can of "emergency fill" in case during the summer months - but worse case I've got CAA Gold to tow me home.

Subscribed to see what you end up running -- thoughts have always crossed my mind, but nothing ever purchased. :spin:

Pictures of my rides;

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr old whip[/url]

Current Wagon

On another note, do you fellas know if the factory HK head unit (NO CLIMATE CONTROL) can support an aftermarket amp? I plan on disconnecting and removing the stock subwoofer on the back deck and using that as a vent between the trunk and passenger area. I would rather not have to buy an aftermarket head unit if possible.

I understand the issue of the pole vent, unless your using a ton of power I think your worrying about nothing . I've put hundreds of subs in close proximity to the rear of the inclosure and have excellent results . The problem is that most shallow subs don't handle a ton of power, people over drive the sub amp and the owner is expecting too many DBs from the system.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived